Speaker Swap out suggestions? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
These speaker swap threads kind of worried me a little bit, but I'm in the same boat. I just bought this car and have the Shaker 500 system. I've messed with the settings a little bit and I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.
The factory system is not terrible but truth is a $150-$200 upgrade made now will bring you years of much better sound. I have the premium system which is 8 speakers. If you only swap out the 2 door speakers you will be amazed at the difference. I decided to do all 4 of the 5x7s and expect it to be awesome. (when i get the time to do the 2 back ones)

2011 Black V6 Premium, Saddle Leather, Pony Package, Airaid CAI, Borla Touring Axle-Back Exhaust, 2.73, Security Package, Automatic, 4 Rockford Fosgate Power 5 x 7 Speakers, Side Stripe Delete, Hawk ceramic pads, BAMA Hybrid tune, Nitto Motivo tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That's true. I guess a minor speaker upgrade, for a lil over $50, that could dramatically improve the stereo sound, would be a worthwhile investment.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbax35 View Post
The factory system is not terrible but truth is a $150-$200 upgrade made now will bring you years of much better sound. I have the premium system which is 8 speakers. If you only swap out the 2 door speakers you will be amazed at the difference. I decided to do all 4 of the 5x7s and expect it to be awesome. (when i get the time to do the 2 back ones)
Crazy man, just a few minutes ago at lunch I made the decision to do just that (replace just the front 2 speakers). Now the questyion is - upgrade just the speakers, or add an amp and add even better speakers.

Modifications Performance: Airaid CAI, 93P Tune by Torq, Dynomax Exhaust Interior: Auto Headlamp Switch, Leather Seat Upgrade, Infinity Speakers, Billet Chrome: Door Locks, Radio Display Trim, Door Lock/Unlock Covers, Map Light Button Covers, Air Vent Covers Exterior: Chrome Door Handles, Faux Gas Lid Delete; 3.7 Emblems, Stock Wheels Painted Gloss Black, Tinted Lights, Dark Gray Rocker and Hood Crease Stripes, Upper and Lower Billet Grille Overlays Engine Compartment: Custom Strut Brace

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
These speaker swap threads kind of worried me a little bit, but I'm in the same boat. I just bought this car and have the Shaker 500 system. I've messed with the settings a little bit and I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.
yeah i am happy with mine as well, however I was surprised with my car for graduation, scholarships, and birthday. Had I seen these threads and been shopping for a car at the same time, I would have been nervous as well. The only reason I asked is because I see so many threads on getting rid of the shaker 500, with some people totally bashing it. I personally think it sounds great. I came from aftermarket everything in first vehicle and of course I had slamming bass then, but the subs with this system are more than enough really and the door speakers sounds clear to me.

Last edited by jstar3293; 06-24-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: additional information
PONY Member

Okay, I finally have all four of my Infinity References in and have listened to them over a few days with various types of music.

The results:

Was it worth it? Oh yes. The speakers are much more powerful than stock. My volume level isn't as high anymore. They are also clearer in sound reproduction than stock. Because they have been known to not be so bass heavy, they complimented the door subwoofers much better than I had expected. I actually hear more sound coming from the woofers, which was a nice surprise.

For those of you sitting on the fence, it really is worth it for the fronts. The rear? It depends on how much you want to tear apart the back of your car. I have to admit that I was intimidated at first, but it's really not that hard or scary in the end. The rear speakers are really really bad and super cheap. The fronts are not the same units and are actually a $10 speaker, unlike the $5 rears.

I found mine for $53 per pair on Amazon which allowed me to stay in budget as I wanted an upgrade and not an overhaul. It made a good sound system sound even better. I really have no need to add any more kit, such as an amp, etc. because of the power and quality of sound now.

2011 Sterling Grey MCA Performance Package with Glass Roof/Nav/HID/Every Factory Option...

Mods: Infinity 6832cfs|93 Octane stock|DynoMax 39507 Cat-Back|35% tint|Roush rear valance
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison1062 View Post
Okay, I finally have all four of my Infinity References in and have listened to them over a few days with various types of music.

The results:

Was it worth it? Oh yes. The speakers are much more powerful than stock. My volume level isn't as high anymore. They are also clearer in sound reproduction than stock. Because they have been known to not be so bass heavy, they complimented the door subwoofers much better than I had expected. I actually hear more sound coming from the woofers, which was a nice surprise.

For those of you sitting on the fence, it really is worth it for the fronts. The rear? It depends on how much you want to tear apart the back of your car. I have to admit that I was intimidated at first, but it's really not that hard or scary in the end. The rear speakers are really really bad and super cheap. The fronts are not the same units and are actually a $10 speaker, unlike the $5 rears.

I found mine for $53 per pair on Amazon which allowed me to stay in budget as I wanted an upgrade and not an overhaul. It made a good sound system sound even better. I really have no need to add any more kit, such as an amp, etc. because of the power and quality of sound now.
Congrats on your upgrade. My front infinity speakers shipped from amazon yesterday. Can't get over the price as its more than half the cost of store prices. The best deal on the internet.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Can you explain the installation of the rear set a little? Glad to hear you are happy with the upgrade!

Quote:

The results:

2011 Black V6 Premium, Saddle Leather, Pony Package, Airaid CAI, Borla Touring Axle-Back Exhaust, 2.73, Security Package, Automatic, 4 Rockford Fosgate Power 5 x 7 Speakers, Side Stripe Delete, Hawk ceramic pads, BAMA Hybrid tune, Nitto Motivo tires.
PONY Member

Quote:
Can you explain the installation of the rear set a little? Glad to hear you are happy with the upgrade!
Basically, it goes like this:

You have to remove the side sills and unplug the connector.
Move the seat all the way forward and unclip and remove the back seat bottom.
Then you have to pull three trim pins out of each lower rear side panel - my suggestion - buy some extras as they will get damaged and will not be reusable - Buy 6. Throw the old ones away.
Then you have to pull out the side panels. The more pins from the back deck cover, then pull the back deck cover itself. Then you have to unscrew the speakers and pull them out.
The rest is just the reverse of it. There are some walkthoughs with photos of how this is done on this forum and others.

This is something you want to get right with a speaker you will be happy with as you will not want to do this install ever again.

2011 Sterling Grey MCA Performance Package with Glass Roof/Nav/HID/Every Factory Option...

Mods: Infinity 6832cfs|93 Octane stock|DynoMax 39507 Cat-Back|35% tint|Roush rear valance
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
Congrats on your upgrade. My front infinity speakers shipped from amazon yesterday. Can't get over the price as its more than half the cost of store prices. The best deal on the internet.
Here's some tips for you, assuming you haven't installed them yet:

The fronts, turn the Tweeter switch from +3 to 0. It's a little too bright. The backs seem to be okay with +3, which is how mine were shipped, even though the manual says the default is 0.

Also, get yourself some foam tape and cover some of the factory cabling for window switches etc with it to cushion them so they don't rattle from the power of these speakers when you are doing your front door installs and have the panel off.

GT Member

Quote:
Here's some tips for you, assuming you haven't installed them yet:

The fronts, turn the Tweeter switch from +3 to 0. It's a little too bright. The backs seem to be okay with +3, which is how mine were shipped, even though the manual says the default is 0.

Also, get yourself some foam tape and cover some of the factory cabling for window switches etc with it to cushion them so they don't rattle from the power of these speakers when you are doing your front door installs and have the panel off.
thanks for the tip. i would have forgotten about the cables.

i will be applying some dynamat to the steel door around the speaker as a bezel. i noticed there's a plastic cover on the door. is it a pain to remove partially?

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
thanks for the tip. i would have forgotten about the cables.

i will be applying some dynamat to the steel door around the speaker as a bezel. i noticed there's a plastic cover on the door. is it a pain to remove partially?
No clue. I left the plastic door barrier alone. Go here:

Ford Service Manuals - 2011

There should be some info posted there. The link will take you to an online factory service manual.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittermiller View Post
personally i plan to buy the infinity 6832cf's because they are very sensitive (good for low power amps, like ours) and infinity is known for their crisp highs. i plan to put my subs in the trunk soon though, so thats where i'll get my lows
I ended up buying these speakers for about 55 bucks shipped from Amazon, and they have made a world of difference! I'd like a little bit better bass, but that's not really what the door speakers are all about. These have cleaned up my highs tremendously over the crappy speakers that Ford shipped in the supposedly premium Shaker system. For a hundred bucks, buy 2 pairs and you'll be very pleased. One tip: These speakers have a switch on the tweeter to increase the sound by 3db. Leave it set to the 0db position. I didn't, and I've had to turn the treble down slightly to keep the highs in certain songs from sounding really bad. It's an easy fix, I just need to get off my butt and pull my doors apart again so I can turn the switch back to 0db

2011 Sterling Grey Metallic V6 Premium convertible
Black Interior, 6MT, Pony and Comfort packages.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
I ended up buying these speakers for about 55 bucks shipped from Amazon, and they have made a world of difference! I'd like a little bit better bass, but that's not really what the door speakers are all about. These have cleaned up my highs tremendously over the crappy speakers that Ford shipped in the supposedly premium Shaker system. For a hundred bucks, buy 2 pairs and you'll be very pleased. One tip: These speakers have a switch on the tweeter to increase the sound by 3db. Leave it set to the 0db position. I didn't, and I've had to turn the treble down slightly to keep the highs in certain songs from sounding really bad. It's an easy fix, I just need to get off my butt and pull my doors apart again so I can turn the switch back to 0db
That's pretty much what I've been saying in my last few posts about my Infinity speakers. Go read 'em.

The fronts - you will not need to pull your doors apart to change the switch. Look closely at your speaker grill - you can see the switch if you rotated your tweeter properly to face upwards to the driver. I used an allen key thin enough to fit through the holes in the grill and was able to do this. Don't use anything thinner than an allen key or else you can puncture the speaker if you accidentally slip.

The backs? I say leave them at +3. I've had them in for a while now and +3 in the back, 0 in the front works well for me.

PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks, I went with this set from Sonic. I decided to swap out all 4 speakers. Will take some extra time but rather get it done right!

Rockford Fosgate T1572 (09-t1572) 5" x 7" 2-Way Full-Range Power

Whats the best price range for the RF's you guys have seen? I'm a huge fan of RF.. Also once you get them besides taking off the panel doors, any mods you have to do at all, how well do they fit?

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhtx35 View Post
Whats the best price range for the RF's you guys have seen? I'm a huge fan of RF.. Also once you get them besides taking off the panel doors, any mods you have to do at all, how well do they fit?
I did have buy 2 pairs of meta harnesses which is basically an adapter to go between factory connector and the new speaker. Not sure if I got the wrong ones or what but I had to open the metal end a little to get it onto the RF speakers. Also I did have to drill 2 holes into the pladtic mounting area to secure the speaker. 2 holes lined up great but had to drill for the other 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page