Replace your radio display with GLASS - Page 12 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billccm View Post
I'm going to order the tap plastic and try this fix.
Anyone know of the instructions for replacement?
Thanks, and have a nice day, Bill
It's not hard. Just get a "trim removing tool". Basically a plastic tool that has a hook on the end. Use that (or a bent butter knife is what I used w/ duct tape on the end) and pull up your trim. If you don't know how to do this just google it (mustang radio removal). Once that is off (takes 5 min tops) you'll see how to take the rest of it out. Just a couple screws I think then the plastic cover is clipped in there. Let us know how it turns out. I still have the glass in mine w the tint w tiny bubbles. Not bad but i'd prefer to get it 100% smooth and not really use glass

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Anyone making & shipping these kits? Haven't heard back from anyone.

2014 GT Premium Blk | MT82 | Track Pack | Recaro | Brembo | 3.73 | Roush Axleback | BMR Adjustable Panhard | BMR Rear LCA | Koni Sport Yellow | Track Pack Springs | Blk SVE Drift 19x9.5 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35/19 Square | MGW Gen.II | Whiteline Bushing | Flossy Snowball |

People in Vancouver, BC please add me
Apprentice

Never seen a screen scratch like these do

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Here is a safer and better solution. Go to this website: Cast Acrylic - Transparent Colors : TAP Plastics
I bought this size 1/8" thick X 2" wide X 7 5/16" long. The color I bought was called transparent solar gray but it looks like that has changed to transparent smoke. I think I paid $24 shipped.

I ended up getting Ford to cover mine under warranty before I had to install my replacement screen but I'm keeping mine in case this new one messes up.

If you need yours replaced, try using Ford's Special Service Message #44226 at the dealer to see if you can get it fixed under warranty.

Wayne
Hey don't know if you'll ever see this message but wanted to say thanks! This is exactly what is needed if you are going this route. I ordered it last week and installed it Saturday. I had to let the silicone I used to hold the piece in place dry for 24 hours but it fits perfectly and looks great. I ordered exactly what you said and it's 100% the size you need and color. Just make sure you connect everything back that you unconnected. One pigtail fell down and I forgot to plug it back it and kind of had a panic moment. The radio buttons wouldn't work (even thought it was on and neither would the air vent buttons. That's when I realized I forgot a connection. I had to take it apart again to fix it but it literally only takes maybe 5 min to get it apart. Just gotta be careful and don't pry real hard. A video posted a page or two earlier will show you how to do it. The only thing I will say is make sure the plastic is totally clean before the install. I used rubber gloves and carefully wiped it down on both sides with a microfiber towel. This plastic won't scratch easily but it doesn't clean as easily as glass. It streaks pretty easily. That's all I can think of.

Oh and sorry for reviving a thread from the dead but I thought this would be helpful to others trying to do this mod. No more glass, bubbled tint or scratched factory plastic.

20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Apprentice

Thanks for the update. I am always checking this thread for advice. You ordered the plastic pre cut?

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
Apprentice

I ended up finding a local shop that does acrylic work & got a tinted piece cut to size. Looks amazing now!!! Didn't need to glue it in or silicone because there was still sticky residue left from the crappy plastic oem piece so my new acrylic just stuck right on there, perfect!

2014 GT Premium Blk | MT82 | Track Pack | Recaro | Brembo | 3.73 | Roush Axleback | BMR Adjustable Panhard | BMR Rear LCA | Koni Sport Yellow | Track Pack Springs | Blk SVE Drift 19x9.5 | Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35/19 Square | MGW Gen.II | Whiteline Bushing | Flossy Snowball |

People in Vancouver, BC please add me
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billccm View Post
Thanks for the update. I am always checking this thread for advice. You ordered the plastic pre cut?
Yeah in exactly the size Monte said. I quoted it

Rookie

Not sure what the cost would be as I haven't called them yet, but check this out...

Tempered grey 1/8" glass... https://elitecustomglass.com/glass/custom-glass.html

I plugged in rounded sizes as it doesn't allow for fractions and it came out as US $23, not including shipping.

This would end up being the perfect solution.... safe glass.
PONY Member

Monte and Choate_

Thank you for the info on TAP Plastics, just ordered mine...
$10.00 for the plastic and $9.99 for UPS Ground.

Note: back in 2011/12 I was one of the folks who got in on the original post where a helpful forum member made up the glass/film kits. Worked out great, it went with my vehicle when sold. Just picked up a lightly-used 2012 GT convertible and of course the radio-display plastic looks terrible. I know the drill to replace, easy project.

Thanks again!
PONY Member

Just wanted to report back my success using the TAP Plastics way... went well, the size indicated is a perfect fit and couldn't be more pleased with the result! The previous owner took great care of my car; but I think he used a Brillo pad to clean the radio display. It now looks like the day it left the factory.

Pic does not really do it justice - this is not an easy part to get a good, clear picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Glass.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	449026  
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Just order from Tap Plastics. Under $20 shipped....

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Just bringing this up to the top for the newcomers with this problem if you can't get it fixed under warranty. I think it's a better option than getting glass cut and tinted and it's not that expensive.

Wayne
I just tried the TAP plastics solution (on my 2013 premium V6 poney package) and it was amazing! cost me about $20 when all was said and done. I used plastic prying bars to remove the console to avoid leaving marks or breaking the dash. You can get at it by following this you tube video I found. The hardest part (but not really hard) was taking off the plastic screen. Once off, the new one fit right into place without any adhesive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXedC88h1dI

Thanks for everyone's advice, especially 70monte!
Rookie

Just ordered the Tap plastics for my 2012 v6 vert.
Should be to me next week. Ordered some extras so if anyone is interested I can probably send them cheaper than TAP plastics. Let me know if any interest. I hope it turns out nice because that glass display is hard to compete with.
Lanster likes this.

It's all about the Grabber Blue baby!
Rookie

Garage
I would like to buy one of these if anyone has an extra. You guys have all kinds of ideas on this site. That screen has been driving me crazy too and it keeps getting worse.
Rookie

I ordered 2, $19.79 shipped. Thanks for the idea.

'14 GT Cal Special Convertible, Sterling Gray, Black Staggered AMRs, Ford Racing axle-backs.
(Photo is my high school sweetheart, '69)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page