Replace your radio display with GLASS - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Replace your radio display with GLASS

Alright fellow mustang enthusiast of AFM. I was tired of the scratches on my radio display, once and for all. No matter how many times I professionally removed the swirls, they came back. The plastic is just too soft for its own good.

Even if you put a screen protector on it, it would look like crap.

So I replaced mine with glass. I understand it can be a huge safety issue, but I figure if I hit something hard enough to break the glass, it will be the least of my worries.

First of all, disassemble your center console, and rip that piece of crap plastic cover off. Try not to break it, because you will need it to compare sizes later on.

Step 1:

I used 3/32" thick glass, non tempered, can be found at most hardware stores. The original plastic cover was (7-6/16"L) (2-1/16"H) and (1/16" thick).

In order to insure that the glass will fit, I cut it smaller than the original. (7-5/16"L) (2"H) (3/32" Thick)

Step 2:

In order to shade the glass, I used 20% Gila window tint film from Advance Auto Parts

(Old on the right, new on the left)

Step 3:

You want to slice a thin (1/8") peice of tint off from the bottom of your new glass cover, the reason you want to do this, is so that when you install your cover. The RTV sticks to the glass, and not the tint.

Step 4:

Use a small dab of RTV around the parameter of the glass cover to install into your radio display

TADA, no more scratches, no more swirls. Hello Liability and good looks.

YouTube - ‪No more swirls‬‏

2011 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Beast3.7

Will the tint scratch from cleaning it? I think this is a great idea and if you play around with different tint shades you could also get the text to show up as a different color if you like. How long did it take and about how much did it cost?

Also, what is RTV?

Beast3.7

We need a way to do this for the gauges too!

GT Member

patent it and my check's in the mail for a kit!!

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
Will the tint scratch from cleaning it? I think this is a great idea and if you play around with different tint shades you could also get the text to show up as a different color if you like. How long did it take and about how much did it cost?

Also, what is RTV?
RTV= Room Temperature Vulcanizing.....Liquid rubber in a sense, used extensively in the auto industry as a sealant in engines, transmission, differentials. Very useful to make a seal you don't have to mess with later on.

As far as the tint, if it is on the inside it should be safe from future scratches.

I'm also wondering how scratches have become a problem as I haven't even touched my radio display since I bought it in October.
post #6 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post

Also, what is RTV?
The Tint goes on the INSIDE towards the front of the car, so when you wipe, your only wiping the glass. Which is why in step 3, you must slice off a thin piece of tint off from the bottom/top of the glass, so that the RTV silicone sticks to the glass, and not the tint.

3 bux for the pane of glass
6 bux for the glass cutter
15 bux for the 20% tint, which is way more than you need.

2011 Mustang GT
PONY Member

Excellent idea, tispho!!!
GT Member

Pretty cool idea. I approached it with a route that was a little less time consuming. I had a roll of 3M film used for invisible car bras sitting around. I bought it to cover LCD's and other displays on the countless remotes and devices around the house. Just removed the trim around the radio, cut the film, wet, squeegee with a credit card, done.

Displacement makes you complacent
Beast3.7

So we have this problem solved, what about the gauges which are apparently made of the same pudding plastic?
PONY Member

Great post, thanks!

2012 Mustang GT Premium - Lava Red - Lava Red interior - 6R80 - Glass Roof - HID/SP - EP - RVC - RSS - CP - Remote Start
Ordered 4/30/11 VIN 5/26/11 Sticker Online 6/2/11 Build 6/8/11 ETA 6/29/11 ETA2 7/4/11 ETA3 7/11/11 Delivered 7/13/11
MACH I Member

Love the idea. Here's a dumb question, but how much of a PITA is it to get the center console apart? Any tips?

Thanks for the pics and innovation!

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

^Good question.

Well done! Looks like a very professional job. I wouldn't mind this at all, but I too wonder, how are these parts scratching? I haven't had my car a long time at all, but unless I'm using a microfiber cloth to dust the area, I'm never touching the surface...

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #13 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
Love the idea. Here's a dumb question, but how much of a PITA is it to get the center console apart? Any tips?

Thanks for the pics and innovation!

All you need is a 7mm socket.

YouTube - ‪JLT Performance shows you how to dress up your interior‬‏

2011 Mustang GT
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

^ Couldn't be any easier. Wow.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Radio Display Glass

Outstanding fix. Just a thought why not spend a few dollars more. Go to a glass place and have them cut a piece of tempered, tinted glass. Which I'm going to check out tomorrow.
Again outstanding idea, way to go thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page