2012 shaker 500- Where to tap for subwoofer amp input? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2012 shaker 500- Where to tap for subwoofer amp input?

I need speaker level inputs for my subwoofer amp. I was going to use the rear speakers, but I heard that the factory auto processing removes the bass signal to the rears. That would be problematic. Where can I get a full spectrum audio signal in the shaker 500 system to feed to the sub amp?

'12 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP/Electronics package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

on my '12 vert, the amp for the front 8" subs is located behind the drivers side kick panel. i have seen wiring diagrams on here. the 8" door subs are dual voice coils so there are four sets of wires in that harness. the factory amp output is in the gray wiring harness. In order for me to get full range inputs I used a JL audio summing line convertor.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yup, found the amp as described and it all works!

Installed today and it all went in easy. Ran speaker wire from the driver's kick panel mounted door woofer amp- tapped those for the inputs. Ran 4 gauge wire from battery back to amp. Grounded amp 4 gauge to the body. While I was in there, upgraded the rear speakers to Polk MM571's like I did to the doors.

The JL 250/1 is more then enough for me! I have the gain almost all the way down and it still shakes the whole car.

Can't wait to go for a drive!

Wire taps on the door woofer amp wires for the JL amp.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Did you use the wires from the small connector on the factory amp? Someone told me those are low level inputs but that seems odd to me. Can you please offer any clarification?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post
Did you use the wires from the small connector on the factory amp? Someone told me those are low level inputs but that seems odd to me. Can you please offer any clarification?
The amp in the rear quarter has a small connector (the one towards the back of the car) which has the low level inputs, dont use this. The amp at the front drivers kick panel has two connectors, a gray one and a black one, the gray one has the speaker output wires. All of the output wires to each of the speakers are twistesd together within an inch or so of leaving the connector. These should be easy to find.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
The amp in the rear quarter has a small connector (the one towards the back of the car) which has the low level inputs, dont use this. The amp at the front drivers kick panel has two connectors, a gray one and a black one, the gray one has the speaker output wires. All of the output wires to each of the speakers are twistesd together within an inch or so of leaving the connector. These should be easy to find.
I replaced the front door subs and need to add an amp. I really just need to know if the inputs going into the factory amp need a hi-low converter or not.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I changed out my front 8"subs as well as all four 5x7's and added two 12"s in the trunk. my car had two factory amps, one in the trunk which serves the 4 5x7 speakers and one under the front drivers kick panel which serves the 2 factory dual voice coil 8" subs. i used a jl audio summing line convertor with feeds from the front amp for the low end and feeds from the front and rear channels of the rear amp for the high pass.

i do not think the line level feeds to the rear amp are full range. what line convertor are you trying to install?

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

This is the one I have For only $5.05 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2 Channel Hi/Low Level Converter w/ Remote Out - 50W Max | Level Converter

I haven't tried to install it yet because I wasn't sure if they were low level or high level inputs going into the factory amp. I guess I'll try to use this tomorrow??
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

That convertor is designed to take a speaker level output from a factory amp and reduce it to a line level input for an aftermarket amp. Provided you are only using this to serve an amp for aftermarket subs, you will need to use the speaker outputs from the factory amp serving the stock subwoofers. Honestly, and not to sound like an ass, you may want to consult a more experienced installer before you try to hook these up.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
This is the one I have For only $5.05 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2 Channel Hi/Low Level Converter w/ Remote Out - 50W Max | Level Converter

I haven't tried to install it yet because I wasn't sure if they were low level or high level inputs going into the factory amp. I guess I'll try to use this tomorrow??
Depends on your amp. If it can take speaker/high level inputs than no need for converters. The jl takes high level into the RCA inputs. Other amps have separate jacks for that.

Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I definitely appreciate the help/feedback here guys! My Eclipse amp does not have high level inputs, only the low level RCA's. I've installed my fair share of systems but never with the factory HU.

You said to use the speaker outputs from the factory amp. That would suggest I'm routing through the factory amp first and then through the Eclipse. That doesn't seem right to me. On the factory amp there are a pair of + & - inputs on the small connector. I want to take those and route them to my amp. Then I'll route speaker wires from the Eclipse to the speaker wires on the big factory amp connector, leaving the factory amp unplugged.

I was told those two wires (small connector) were actually low level inputs but everyone talks about using a LOC which would suggest otherwise, yes? But is it these two wires I'm referencing where they get their signal??

Thanks again guys!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I definitely appreciate the help/feedback here guys! My Eclipse amp does not have high level inputs, only the low level RCA's. I've installed my fair share of systems but never with the factory HU.

You said to use the speaker outputs from the factory amp. That would suggest I'm routing through the factory amp first and then through the Eclipse. That doesn't seem right to me. On the factory amp there are a pair of + & - inputs on the small connector. I want to take those and route them to my amp. Then I'll route speaker wires from the Eclipse to the speaker wires on the big factory amp connector, leaving the factory amp unplugged.

I was told those two wires (small connector) were actually low level inputs but everyone talks about using a LOC which would suggest otherwise, yes? But is it these two wires I'm referencing where they get their signal??

Thanks again guys!
You can try that for the low level side- see if it works.

You're right, with a high level input- the signal is passing through two amps. Not ideal, but it's just a subwoofer and without an aftermarket headunit your options are limited to avoid the factory signal processing.

Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
You can try that for the low level side- see if it works.

You're right, with a high level input- the signal is passing through two amps. Not ideal, but it's just a subwoofer and without an aftermarket headunit your options are limited to avoid the factory signal processing.
I'll start with the factory amp inputs first. If that doesn't work, it is "okay" than to route through the factory amp and then through the Eclipse? Others have done it that way??
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The line convertor you posted up previously is designed to convert up to a 50 watt amplified signal down to a line level input. If you are using this product then the factory line amp imputs WILL NOT WORK. Have you confirmed the location and number of amps in your car? Is it a shaker 500 system? do you know which amps are operating with the high pass signal and which is using the low pass signal. My understanding is that the factory line level inputs are not ideal for aftermarket amps. If in fact you can tap the line inputs and route them through RCA's to your eclipse amp, then this may work, however i don't know of anyone who has even tried to do it this way. Please keep us posted and track the wire colors and locations, so if this works, others can try it as well.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hey IA Chiefs fan,

How did you make out with the install? Is the bass thumpin yet?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page