Speaker replacements for 2012 Shaker500? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Speaker replacements for 2012 Shaker500?

I plan on replacing the 4 stock speakers, and both 8" stock subwoofers in a 2012 Mustang that has a Shaker 500 without the Navigation system.

From what I have read the factory 8" subwoofers are 2-ohm each therefore a Kicker CVT82 model is what I would need for the doors since the factory system is configured for 2-ohm subs in the doors. The CVT82 is what comes in that Shelby package, but package also includes an amp, and I'm wondering if the stock amp is enough for those subs?

For the 4 5x7/6x8 replacements I was leaning towards Polk Polk Audio db571 2-way car speakers For 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings - Features & Specs at Crutchfield.com which are 4-ohm. Does anyone know if the 4 stock speakers are 2-ohm like the 8"subs or are they 4-ohm stock?

Has anyone done these replacements using stock amps only? If so did you find they are underpowered?

For the above I'm looking for highs in the 4 stock speakers, and mids in the 2 8" subs. I have 2 12" Kicker CVX speakers I plan on installing with a Rockford T1500-1bd amp from my old Mustang which Hurricane Irene did a number on.

2012 GT Premium/Auto/Race Red w/Charcoal Black 'n Cashmere
HID Security/Comfort Package/19" Machined Aluminum Wheels/Remote Start/Rearview Cam/Borla S-Type Cat-Back/JLT CAI/93 Bama Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stangs View Post

From what I have read the factory 8" subwoofers are 2-ohm each therefore a Kicker CVT82 model is what I would need for the doors since the factory system is configured for 2-ohm subs in the doors. The CVT82 is what comes in that Shelby package, but package also includes an amp, and I'm wondering if the stock amp is enough for those subs?

For the 4 5x7/6x8 replacements I was leaning towards Polk Polk Audio db571 2-way car speakers For 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings - Features & Specs at Crutchfield.com which are 4-ohm. Does anyone know if the 4 stock speakers are 2-ohm like the 8"subs or are they 4-ohm stock?

Has anyone done these replacements using stock amps only? If so did you find they are underpowered?

For the above I'm looking for highs in the 4 stock speakers, and mids in the 2 8" subs. I have 2 12" Kicker CVX speakers I plan on installing with a Rockford T1500-1bd amp from my old Mustang which Hurricane Irene did a number on.

The stock 8" speakers are dual voice coil and I would hardly classify the plastic door panel they are mounted in as an "enclosure". I have no experience with the Kicker sub you linked, but the 8" JL audios i originally hooked up to one of the stock voice coils wiring was barely audible. The 5x7 (6x8) speakers are decently powered, probably equivilent to a 15-20 watt RMS per channel amp. Not bad with the windows up, but with a pair of 12" subs in the trunk, you will most likely be looking for more. If I were to do my system all over, I would have left the stock 8" speakers alone. I would invest that money in an amp for the four 5x7s and get a really good pair for the front doors. I would then just let the stock 8"s run off the factory power as a small amount of bass fill. I would clip the front speakers at about 250 - 350 hrz (adjustable would be better) and the rears at maybe 200hrz and keep the gains to the rears a little lower than the fronts. I also have 2 12"s in the trunck.

Good Luck!

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the info GoT midlife CS.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a new Kenwood or Pioneer Head Unit with 3 sets of preamp outs for door sub/speakers/subwoofer amps.

Not sure if I want to get the Ford Factory Radio Interface Add an aftermarket stereo to select 2008-up Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles while retaining use of SYNC® system at Crutchfield.com to retain SYNC and steering wheel audio controls though for $200 yet. I can use smartphone for what SYNC accomplishes without interrupting my music, and reaching over to change the volume is no big deal.

HID Security/Comfort Package/19" Machined Aluminum Wheels/Remote Start/Rearview Cam/Borla S-Type Cat-Back/JLT CAI/93 Bama Race Tune

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have installed many car stereos throughout my years, and the truth is there is nothing wrong with the shaker 500 head unit. Plus I like the fact that I retain all of my sync Bluetooth, steering controls and nav. Jl audio makes a nice summing line convertor that gives you two pre outs which is plenty. It also uses a signal sensing technology to turn on the unit and provides a remote turn on for your amps. The unit really has amazing signal/sound quality and is much cheaper than a new head unit.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'll look into that JL line converter, and its nice to hear there are 2 sets of preouts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This is the part i used for my system.

JL Audio CL-SSI CleanSweep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page