Mach 460 Problems - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004 Thread Starter

Mach 460 Problems

I've looked everywhere and have been unable to find an answer so I'll post the question. I have a '94 GT Convertible with the Mach 460 stereo naturally. The head unit keeps dying at random and will stay dead until you disconnect the battery for a few minutes then hook it up again. It works fine after that, for awhile then dies again. Could work for just 1 day or sometimes a couple weeks. I'm totally clueless as to what can be wrong or how to fix it. Not even the dealership can figure it out. Anyone else have this problem??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

i dont have that problem . but I DO have an extra cd player and tape player from the mach 460. its probably a faulty radio.

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004 Thread Starter

Could this problem also be causing a slow battery drain? Cause after a few days of sitting the battery is dead. Might just get an aftermarket head unit and hopefully that will fix both problems.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

i doubt its draining your battery. you probably need a battery.

4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004 Thread Starter

It's not the battery, Brand new battery plus brand new wires. Alternator was checked and it's fine also.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

do you have a radar detector or a cell phone charger plugged in at all? if not im clueless.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004 Thread Starter

Nope, nothing plugged in at all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Actually it could be the radio killing the battery! I know it might be a long shot, but somehow it may be tied into battery power. or like badass97gt said it could be a faulty radio.
I would recommend an aftermarket one anyway. I thin I have used my stock head unit a total of 3 months, for the 10 years I have had the car.
I recommend a CD player that can play MP3/WMA files. that way you can make your own CD's and have more music on them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004
Apprentice

I'm sure the radio draws from the battery even when the key is off. Otherwise, how does it keep your clock settings? But the power draw should be very small.

Here's what I do to check for a battery drain. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU BLOW SOMETHING UP BY MISTAKE (ECM, MULTIMETER), DON'T BLAME ME:

1. Get a multimeter that measures current.
2. Set the meter to do so. It usually involves switching the probes.
3. Set the meter to measure 10 Amps or less.
4. Find somebody that has a similar mustang that does not have any electrical problems.
5. Buy them a coke/beer and tell them you'd like to take their positive battery terminal loose.
6. While the car is off, take the positive terminal loose and remove it from the battery. Be careful not to lay it on anything metal!
7. Place the meter in series with the battery by putting the red meter probe on the battery positive post and the black meter probe on the battery cable.
8. Make note of the current draw .
9. Repeat this on your car.
10. If the difference in your car and your friends is significant, like around 0.5 to 1.0 AMPS, you probably have something shorted out that is draining your battery.

If you suspect it's the headunit, pull it out and see what difference it make in current draw.

Black '99 GT , 3.73 gear, SpeedCal, K&N filter, Bullit wheels on Goodyear Eagle ZR 245/45, QA1 k-member, Granatelli front street coil overs, Steeda 555-8200R rear springs, Tokico struts, QA1 c&c plates, D&D Motorosports subframe connectors

'70 Fastback, under restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page