installing a CB radio - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

installing a CB radio

ok well this guy my little brother goes to church with drives 18 wheelers for various companies and he had some spare CB radios laying around and i wanted one cause i figured hell why not put it in my car like smokey and the bandit just for the fun of it I have a 1995 mustang gt and i need a little help with the wiring of the radio i don't want to put a P.A. system in it just the radio and i want it up on the dash board i was figuring on taking the clock pod and clock off as it doesn't work anymore anyone have any ideas on how to wire this in? and help on mounting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011
Apprentice

Suprised nobody has flamed you yet, are you going to be sporting a mile high antenna off the back bumper?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

ok what do you mean by flamed? and i didn't really think about antenna but possibly just use the one i use for radio because i don't use my radio i play my ipod through my aftermarket kenwwod

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio red 5.O View Post
ok what do you mean by flamed? and i didn't really think about antenna but possibly just use the one i use for radio because i don't use my radio i play my ipod through my aftermarket kenwwod
What he means by "flamed" is making a snide or rude comment about you putting a CB in your mustang. But hey if its your thing, CBs are a blast! definately try to use your stock antena though because i doubt a huge antena off the trunk would look appealing

2006 Mustang GT, Tungsten gray
Mods Listed on profile.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

thanks alot for not making a comment like that and trying to be helpful
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
not sure on how good of a signal your gona get with the stock antenna but its worth a shot. And i agree a mustang with huge antenna's look retarded. Theirs a few at this college i go to, everything from mustangs to SUV's to pickup's have them here, in red neck central.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
I have a 1995 mustang gt and i need a little help with the wiring of the radio i don't want to put a P.A. system in it just the radio and i want it up on the dash board i was figuring on taking the clock pod and clock off as it doesn't work anymore anyone have any ideas on how to wire this in? and help on mounting?

Red wire to 12v power, black wire to ground... Maybe a fuse in-between cb and power if you care about protecting the radio itself.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011
74stang2togo

You'll need a CB antenna, Wal-Mart used to carry magnetic based antennas that would let you put it in the trunk when you weren't using it.

I had a CB in every car from the time I was 16 until I was 22. Then I just didn't bother because I didn't use it much anymore.

Absolutely run a fuse inline on the positive wire though, it's not just about protection of the radio, but also the car itself if the radio shorts out!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Yes use a magnetic antenna and if you want some distance get a small amp for the cb.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

thanks for the help guys much appreciated i think i'll go to my favorite car audio store and see if they can help me with some of the parts i need for it and install it then post pics
Rookie

You want the best and tallest antenna you can put on your car accessory practically. The best place for your mount is in the center of the roof, if your vehicle is all metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page