Shaker 500 Talk - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok going to install the JL C2's this weekend. What do I do with the metra harness?

Sorry-- non-stereo guy here

DELIVERED: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, Kona Blue, Black Leather Interior, HIDs, 3.73, Security, 19 inch Painted Aluminum Rims - Roush: Front Valance, Front/Side Splitters

Washington State 5.0 Owner's Thread:

allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/240489-official-washington-state-5-0-owners-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilram11 View Post
Ok going to install the JL C2's this weekend. What do I do with the metra harness?

Sorry-- non-stereo guy here

After you remove the entire door panels and take out the stock 5x7 speakers there will be a small two wire harness connected to the stock speaker. Remove that harness and throw away the stock speaker. The metra harness will then plug in to the stock one just removed from the speaker. The other end of the harness has two connectors which will connect to the new C2. The larger plugs onto the + terminal and the smaller to the - terminal on the C2. After connecting install the c2 in the factory speaker location and then re-install the door panel. The most difficult part will be the removal of the door panel (Which honestly is just a matter of finding and removing all of the screws). You will need a torx bit, i think it's a t-30, but it's been a while. I'm sure the link explains all of that. If this is something you have never done before, follow the link provided earlier in this thread and take your time. Trying to force the door panel can be a costly mistake.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
After you remove the entire door panels and take out the stock 5x7 speakers there will be a small two wire harness connected to the stock speaker. Remove that harness and throw away the stock speaker. The metra harness will then plug in to the stock one just removed from the speaker. The other end of the harness has two connectors which will connect to the new C2. The larger plugs onto the + terminal and the smaller to the - terminal on the C2. After connecting install the c2 in the factory speaker location and then re-install the door panel. The most difficult part will be the removal of the door panel (Which honestly is just a matter of finding and removing all of the screws). You will need a torx bit, i think it's a t-30, but it's been a while. I'm sure the link explains all of that. If this is something you have never done before, follow the link provided earlier in this thread and take your time. Trying to force the door panel can be a costly mistake.
Good explanation. Thanks buddy!

DELIVERED: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, Kona Blue, Black Leather Interior, HIDs, 3.73, Security, 19 inch Painted Aluminum Rims - Roush: Front Valance, Front/Side Splitters

Washington State 5.0 Owner's Thread:

allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/240489-official-washington-state-5-0-owners-thread.html

Rookie

Shaker 500 talk

I removed the door speakers (6x8) and installed Alpine SPR68s, which gave me much clearer highs, but still could not clear up the mid and bass MUD. I did not want to deal with the head unit if I could avoid it (ridiculous prices for the faceplate alone), so I added a Kicker CVX 12 sub, a Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200 amp, and an AudioControl LC2i line converter for those. Then I replaced the rear deck speakers with JL Audio C20570x speakers. I am THRILLED the results - clear highs and mids, and I can roll off the bass on the Shaker head unit to clarify lows and let the Kicker take care of them. I will probably just disconnect the door subs, as they are crappy, maybe replace them with 8" mid-range drivers. When I got the factory 6x8s out, I was dismayed at how cheap they look...just like they sound. The only question left is how much better the Alpine and JL Audio speakers might get with their own amp, which would require replacing the LC2i with the larger LC6.

The wiring harnesses on the Shaker 500 head are the most obnoxious PITAs I've ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page