Ford Mustang Forum banner

Shaker 500 Talk

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  jshill 
#1 ·
For those of you who've done stuff with your Shaker system, what did you do?

Did you bother replacing the rear speakers?

Anyone swap out the amps or subs?

What did you install?

I'm considering replacing either just the door speakers or all four. Not sure which I want. I'm considering the following speakers and keep changing my mind!

Pioneer TS-D6802R
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSD68...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323538159&sr=1-1

JL Audio C2 570x
http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-C2-5...3HCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323538094&sr=8-1

Focal-Access-570CA1
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091570CA1/Focal-Access-570CA1.html?search=Focal_Access_570CA1&skipvs=T

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I started by replacing my fronts with the C2's ...... they sound much better than the stock speakers, but will not solve the shaker 500's inadequacies to an audiophile. At a minimum, I would also suggest adding a subwoofer and amp in the trunck. This will create the greatest increase in depth to the audio experience. If this does not cure your itch, then you can put the C2's in the rear, put a better set of separates up front and add a second amp to run them.

Most people will tell you the JL's are over priced, this may be true, but my car sure sounds good to me. If you need any specific pointers on how to wire in the LOC's or anything else, feel free to PM me. I have all the wire color codes for what is what at the two factory amps.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info and offer on help. I may need it. I'm not a stereo expert but I love listening to music.

I don't want to get rid of my trunk space though. Really I'd like to pick a good to great setup inside the car. And if that can be done without swapping out the amps that would be cool too.

Do you think just doing the front door speakers with one of the ones I posted would be good? How much better if I do the rears replacement? I know a lot of folks said it wasn't worth it but its hard for me to imagine that replacing them wouldn't be better than stock. Not sure though...

#3 ·
I have replaced all of the Shaker components in including the head unit. The Shaker 6x8s and subs actually are not that bad. The OEM subs/speakers are manufactured by Rockford Fostgate for Ford. An aftermarket HU will allow to adjust the crossover frequencies to the OEM speakers and dial them in better. However, you will reach the limits of the stock speakers quickly with a good HU. I went with a pioneer AVIC nav unit with Infinity reference speakers. JL Audio makes a costume fit sub box for the trunk in S197 Mustang.

#4 ·
Im no sterio expert. Way size ar are the door speakers ? I see 2 sizes listed in the thread opener. I am interested in possibly changing the door speakers . Is it worth it ? What are the best speakers for this change ? Are the rear speakers hard to change ? What size are they ? There are a few questions fir you sound experts from a novice. Ive spent all my time under the hood. :winks

#14 ·
You'll love the C2's - very nice midrange, very smooth treble. My advice - don't bother upgrading the 8" midbass speakers unless you plan to provide additional amplification. I swapped them with the Kicker/Shelby speakers and was not satisified due to the decreased bass output (single voice coil and require more power).

#16 ·
Ok going to install the JL C2's this weekend. What do I do with the metra harness?

Sorry-- non-stereo guy here :)

#17 ·
Ok going to install the JL C2's this weekend. What do I do with the metra harness?

Sorry-- non-stereo guy here :)

After you remove the entire door panels and take out the stock 5x7 speakers there will be a small two wire harness connected to the stock speaker. Remove that harness and throw away the stock speaker. The metra harness will then plug in to the stock one just removed from the speaker. The other end of the harness has two connectors which will connect to the new C2. The larger plugs onto the + terminal and the smaller to the - terminal on the C2. After connecting install the c2 in the factory speaker location and then re-install the door panel. The most difficult part will be the removal of the door panel (Which honestly is just a matter of finding and removing all of the screws). You will need a torx bit, i think it's a t-30, but it's been a while. I'm sure the link explains all of that. If this is something you have never done before, follow the link provided earlier in this thread and take your time. Trying to force the door panel can be a costly mistake.

#19 ·
Shaker 500 talk

I removed the door speakers (6x8) and installed Alpine SPR68s, which gave me much clearer highs, but still could not clear up the mid and bass MUD. I did not want to deal with the head unit if I could avoid it (ridiculous prices for the faceplate alone), so I added a Kicker CVX 12 sub, a Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200 amp, and an AudioControl LC2i line converter for those. Then I replaced the rear deck speakers with JL Audio C20570x speakers. I am THRILLED the results - clear highs and mids, and I can roll off the bass on the Shaker head unit to clarify lows and let the Kicker take care of them. I will probably just disconnect the door subs, as they are crappy, maybe replace them with 8" mid-range drivers. When I got the factory 6x8s out, I was dismayed at how cheap they look...just like they sound. The only question left is how much better the Alpine and JL Audio speakers might get with their own amp, which would require replacing the LC2i with the larger LC6.

The wiring harnesses on the Shaker 500 head are the most obnoxious PITAs I've ever seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.