2011 Mustang V6 Base Model Stereo System - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2011 Mustang V6 Base Model Stereo System

Hi guys.

I have had my 2011 base model mustang for almost a year now and I've wanted to upgrade the audio in it ever since but have never known how.

I'm 17 and I'll be going off to college in 8 months so I don't want to spend too much money, but I would really like to have some nice speakers to finish off my senior year of high school.

I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could tell me the options I could take an approximately how much money it would cost to do those.

From the research I've done, I think the best idea would be to just simply replace the speakers with some new ones. (But I don't know which ones, or how to even do that) I say that because that seems like the easiest/cheapest upgrade to do, unless installing an amp is actually easy....

I would really appreciate some recommendations/advice on how to do all this.. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011
Apprentice

Well, to start, how much money is 'not too much money'? I may be able to help if you are able to give me a number to work with. It doesn't have to be exact, just a rough guide on how much you are willing to spend. Of course, the more expensive the system, the better it will sound.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico1709 View Post
Hi guys.

I have had my 2011 base model mustang for almost a year now and I've wanted to upgrade the audio in it ever since but have never known how.

I'm 17 and I'll be going off to college in 8 months so I don't want to spend too much money, but I would really like to have some nice speakers to finish off my senior year of high school.

I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could tell me the options I could take an approximately how much money it would cost to do those.

From the research I've done, I think the best idea would be to just simply replace the speakers with some new ones. (But I don't know which ones, or how to even do that) I say that because that seems like the easiest/cheapest upgrade to do, unless installing an amp is actually easy....

I would really appreciate some recommendations/advice on how to do all this.. thanks.
There have been several VERY good threads discussing which speakers to buy. Do a search. In this case, asking again means waiting and probably not getting all the best options.

2016 Oxford White GT Premium, Performance Package w/silver wheels, 401A, Premier Redline trim, Adaptive Cruise, NAV, Reverse sensing

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011
MACH I Member

Do a search of this site, there are at least 10-20 threads dealing with this subject.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...archid=2187535

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...estions-2.html

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

umm I think around $500... more or less

and I've done research and I still am clueless
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I think what I want to do is just replace the speakers... if that would improve the system or not .. i don't know
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I talked to a car audio store today...

we discussed two options... both seemed a little pricey for me:

1.) 2 10' subs with a 900 W amp and box, and wiring + install $550... ($150 for the install i believe which was included in the $550)

2.) replacing the speakers with Alpine sts s17 (or 517 .. haha i can't read my own writing) as well as adding dynomat... for all 4 speakers.. $475... (also $150 for the install that was included in the 475...)

are there any cheaper options do you guys think?

any input?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011
PONY Member

I was in your delimma when i got my mustang, and still sorta am. I am also in college and money is tight.

a sub wont make your sound system better, it will just make your base hit harder, but everything else will still sound like crap.

I installed 4 alpine type s speakers ( 2 in the front doors, and 2 in the rear deck) and it made a world of a difference. I got my alpines for 150 bc alpine was running a buy 1 get one 50% off special. Also the speakers are pretty straightforward on the install and there are many videos giving you step by step instructions on how to do it. If your just a little bit handy you can do the install

In February I am probably buying the pdx -f4 amp from alpine Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. which is pricey, but a very good amp. This install should be a little more complicated, but i plan on figuring it out as i go.

Obviously you dont have to get the amp i am, but this is what my speaker guy recommended. you can always do the speakers now and then do the amp later, that is what i did.

hope this helps

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rider View Post
I was in your delimma when i got my mustang, and still sorta am. I am also in college and money is tight.

a sub wont make your sound system better, it will just make your base hit harder, but everything else will still sound like crap.

I installed 4 alpine type s speakers ( 2 in the front doors, and 2 in the rear deck) and it made a world of a difference. I got my alpines for 150 bc alpine was running a buy 1 get one 50% off special. Also the speakers are pretty straightforward on the install and there are many videos giving you step by step instructions on how to do it. If your just a little bit handy you can do the install

In February I am probably buying the pdx -f4 amp from alpine Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. which is pricey, but a very good amp. This install should be a little more complicated, but i plan on figuring it out as i go.

Obviously you dont have to get the amp i am, but this is what my speaker guy recommended. you can always do the speakers now and then do the amp later, that is what i did.

hope this helps
I have a lot of questions for you so I hope you don't mind haha.
what genres of music do you listen to? and how big of a difference did it make?
you have the base model right (not the shaker)?
was it really that easy to install the speakers in the door? ( is it just like harnesses that snap together + a few screws?)

how did you install the rear deck speakers?

could you PLEASE link me to a guide showing how to install speakers on the 2010-2012 mustangs? ive been searching forever and so far none have been too in-depth ... thanks so much for your help
Apprentice

PONY Member

Quote:
I have a lot of questions for you so I hope you don't mind haha.
what genres of music do you listen to? and how big of a difference did it make?
you have the base model right (not the shaker)?
was it really that easy to install the speakers in the door? ( is it just like harnesses that snap together + a few screws?)

how did you install the rear deck speakers?

could you PLEASE link me to a guide showing how to install speakers on the 2010-2012 mustangs? ive been searching forever and so far none have been too in-depth ... thanks so much for your help
i listen to mostly rock, hard rock, sometimes ill throw in some party music which includes rap and hip hop and techno.

the speakers made a huge difference, the clarity is so much better, however without the amp there is still distortion at the peak of your volume. i cannot yet comment on how well they are with the amp, however i have been told it will be a "kick ass sound system"

yes, i have the base model and not the shaker.

the door speakers are pretty easy. here is how you do all the speaker, this video is for a 2009, however i think the install was nearly identical, if not the exact same. 2005-2009 Ford Mustang Speaker Replacement How-To Guide - YouTube

you can connect your speakers a few different ways, you can buy a harness and attach that to your speaker and then just clip that in with the harness that is already in the car, or you can just cut off the harness and connect your wires a way of your choosing. ( i cut off the harness and soldered my wires together, however a clamp or something like thatI'mm sure would do fine.)

the rear deck was a pain in the a$$, but do able. I followed this video for my install and everything works great.

Edit: for speakers size you need 5/7s. that is what you couldn'tt read of your own writing. Also the guy at my stereo shop said stick to 2 way speakers, bc 3 ways are "crap". he also said alpines are the best bang for your buck. but to each their own.

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint

Last edited by white rider; 12-27-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: add info
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

about how long do you think it took?

would you recommend doing it yourself?

where can you get those harnesses at? (or is it not worth it to get the harnesses)

and lastly, what was the hard part about the rear deck?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rookie
4.6L Member

i had 2 10 inch subs in my 07 V6 and they sounded great honestly but the beat the hell out of the plastic in the trunk and i had to have it fixed brfore selling so just be awware of that

2007 Grabber Orange 4.0 Black Rally Stripes With Black Bullit Rims-SOLD
1997 Cobra 4:10 Gears CAI Headers Magnaflow Exaust
PONY Member

Quote:
about how long do you think it took?

would you recommend doing it yourself?

where can you get those harnesses at? (or is it not worth it to get the harnesses)

and lastly, what was the hard part about the rear deck?

the fronts are not a problem, now that i know what I'm doing i could have the doors on and off in 15 min. i probably took 45min- an hour on each door the first time, just making sure i did it right, cutting and soldering the wires.

the rears were a pain, the hardest part was just getting the rear deck out bc you have to really wiggle everything around to make it fit. Also the speakers didn't fit perfectly so i had to jimmy them in and there isn't much room to work with. it was just time consuming, i probably took 2 hours for the rears? maybe longer?

if you have basic tools in your garage or can get a hold of them i would do it. Unless having a shop install them is less than 25 bucks its not worth it. just make sure you have all the right tools before you start. you need a ratchet with fitting heads (11mm maybe? and whatever is said in the video), a torx bit, something to pry out the plastics without scratching them, screwdriver, and a wire stripper.

this is the harness you would need i think, one for every speaker, so 2 sets Ford Speaker Harnesses 1999-up, speaker adapter plugs at Crutchfield.com the only upside to a harness is if you have to take your speakers out for some reason you dont have to cut and reconnect with solder or clamps or whatever you use. you still have to connect the end of your speakers to the end of that wiring harness.

yes those are the speakers i have. they fit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audio , base , speakers , stereo , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page