How to tell if I have the Mach 460 or Mach 1000 Sound System? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

How to tell if I have the Mach 460 or Mach 1000 Sound System?

I got a 2003 Mustang GT. It had a Mach 1000 headunit with the tweaters and all, but it has no subwoofers in the trunk. The reason why I want to know is because I think I used the wrong wiring harness for my new headunit because I don't think the factory AMPS for my rear speakers are turning on. How can I tell what system was in it from the factory? From my understanding if you have a Mach 1000 audio system it comes with 2 10" subs in the trunk along with the amp rack...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
the mach 1000 had 2 10's one on each side, and the amp rack with a total of four amps on it. It should be the same harness for both however, since the mach 1000 just had a bridged in connection for the four extra amps.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Well, I'm asking how to figure out what system was in there though, because the previous owner could have taken the subs out. OR the previous owner could have had the Mach 460 sound system and got a mach 1000 headunit from the junk yard and put it in. And no there are 2 different wiring harnesses.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

my 2000 gt has the mach 460 system. no subs and the amp was located below where the cd player sits.

i wasn't getting any sound with my jvc head unit, then i realized that i needed to splice together the blue amp wire from the jvc (via wiring harness from autozone) to the mach 460 amp. everything then worked.

as for yours; not sure if you have the amp rack (in the back i guess) or the one amp where the old cd player sits. depending on that; u have to make sure all the amps (if more than one) are spliced to your wiring harness amp wire.

maybe there is another amp for the rear speakers or maybe your rear speakers are blown?

2000 Mustang GT Convertible - BBK CAI, Trick Flow 70mm Throttlebody/Plenum and Stack Racing Spacer, Accel Super COP's, Full Length SubFrame Connectors, Flowmaster SuperFlow 44's, 91 Octane Bama Tune, more to come...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I have no AMP rack in the trunk, however there is an AMP mounted under both of the back speakers in the trunk. The speakers are on, but are very very low sounding which makes me think that the amps under them aren't turned on. I just want to know which system came in my car from the factory, but I guess there is no way of telling without ripping the car apart.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

if there are amps next to the rear speakers, i bet it is the mach 1000 system and the previous owner took the subs out. maybe you can go to a ford dealer and he can look up ur info via your VIN

2000 Mustang GT Convertible - BBK CAI, Trick Flow 70mm Throttlebody/Plenum and Stack Racing Spacer, Accel Super COP's, Full Length SubFrame Connectors, Flowmaster SuperFlow 44's, 91 Octane Bama Tune, more to come...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012
Rookie

I have a 2000 GT convertible and I have the 460 and I have 2 amps in the trunk, so if you have 2 amps then you might have the 460, 4 amps is the 1,000
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
if there are amps next to the rear speakers, i bet it is the mach 1000 system and the previous owner took the subs out. maybe you can go to a ford dealer and he can look up ur info via your VIN

Haha its funny you said that, because I tried to do that today and Ford claimed they can't look up VINS older then 07.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mustang View Post
Haha its funny you said that, because I tried to do that today and Ford claimed they can't look up VINS older then 07.
wow really? lol i thought they looked up mine when i replaced my timing cover. well i know the motorcraft website uses your VIN but i dont think it will have stereo stuff on there.

Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000HeadlessGT View Post
I have a 2000 GT convertible and I have the 460 and I have 2 amps in the trunk, so if you have 2 amps then you might have the 460, 4 amps is the 1,000
where? i searched all over my vert and only found the one under the cd player

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
where? i searched all over my vert and only found the one under the cd player
When I took my Mach 1000 headunit out there was no AMP under it.
Rookie

Check in the trunk, you have to remove the trunk cover/panel and you should see the convertible top motor in the middle and on each side should be a amp, let me know if you see it...
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
you could save some hassle, and get an amp for the rears and some nice speakers and not have to worry

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page