This is the stereo system I have put together, what do you think? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

This is the stereo system I have put together, what do you think?

Let me know what else I need, or any changes I need. I just have the base system with only 4 speakers. As far as the sub, I don't want anything that will blow you away, but something that will hit pretty good when I want it to.

To replace my 4 5x7's:

12W3V3-4 - JL Audio 12" Singles 4-Ohm W3V3 Series Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 500-Watt Mono Amplifier

I only want the amp for the 12" driver. What else would I need? Last time I put a stero system together, I was 16. That was 19 years ago.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012
PONY Member

Please reconsider an amp for the door speakers...the sub will overpower them in terms of balance

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

If he tunes the amp and cd player with the sub right the bass won't be overpowering the speakers.I use to have 2 of those subs and a hifonics collosus x with the stock mach 460 system.Its all in the cd player,amp,and how he wires the sub in.And yes wiring up a amp for the 4 speakers wouldn't hurt if he wants really good sound quality. Just depends how much $ he wants to spend.

94 GT 306,Keith Black 12.5:1 Dometop pistons,manley valves.1.6RR,stud gridle,gear drive,TF Track Heat lower and upper intake Polished,30lb Ford Racing Injectors,walboro 255lph fuel pump, Saleen Rims with NItto NT555, King Cobra Clutch,3:73 gears,MSD Ignition,BBK Headers, Mac O/r Xpipe,Short Shifter

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
Please reconsider an amp for the door speakers...the sub will overpower them in terms of balance
Ok, good to know. So do I just need a 2 channel amp? One channel for the sub and the other for the door speakers?

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Will be stock base CD player work, or am I going to need a crossover?

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012
MACH I Member

I went with a 5 channel amp. It also enables you to use the stock radio speaker outputs for inputs.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012
PONY Member

put in an iPad and get rid of the stock head unit altogether. :-)

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Will I need to get the JL Audio Clean Sweep so everything will work with the base cd player?

Car Audio - OEM Interface - OEM Integration

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingedthinker View Post
put in an iPad and get rid of the stock head unit altogether. :-)
Can I hook one up with a base system? I don't have a USB port.

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Will I need to get the JL Audio Clean Sweep so everything will work with the base cd player?

All that circuitry is built into the amp (XD700/5) I used.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hey fake, one thing to consider is your choice of a 4 ohm sub. I have two of those 4 ohm 12W3's wired in parallel so the amp sees 2 ohms (mine is an XD 1000/1). Most of your mono amps indicate max power at 2 ohms, so i would look closely at your amp, but my guess is that with the sub you have chosen the amp will put out 250 watts. This is plenty for most, but if you are looking for serious bass, you may find that under powered. I agree that the JL XD700/5 amp is a fantastic choice, but i would definitely use a 12w3 rated at 2 ohms with that set-up.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post

This is the kind of thinking that led me down a rather long road...I did a little write up in this thread:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-inside-4.html

FYI, I found that the ford system works great, except when adding aftermarket speakers without proper amplification and sound processing. The OEM Head Unit's esp will decrease bass as you increase volume, and the general sound processing leaves a lot to be desired. Keep in mind the system was built with crappy speakers as the foundation. It really does make a huge difference to do it right. and I highly recommend adding sound processing. If you are going to put that much effort and money into your sound system, you might as well think about doing a complete job

with re: to the clean sweep - If I remember correctly you need their signal summing interface also, so that'll add extra cost. And then there's the cost of tuning the system....

A better option for you might be the new audison bit ten, or even the JBL ms 8, either of which you can tune yourself.And I have read that they perform excellently. I went a slightly different route by getting a high quality full system amp with sound processing already built-in, and had it professionally tuned(~$75) and the sound is fantastic

I probably won't ever put the GT500 mufflers on my car, but I can still hear that rumbling sound while I have the tunes cranked up - as the old song says, I'm in love with my car.
Rookie

One more thing, I built my system over the last year or so , no one says you have to do it all in one shot. As you build it, do one improvement at a time, and see it it fits your requirements. You'll know whether or not you want to go to the next level.
PONY Member

If you're going with the W3V3 class anyway why not get the stealthbox which will custom fit the side of the Mustang trunk?

It comes with a 13W3V3

Ford Mustang Coupe '10-Up - JL Audio

It's also carpet matched to the stock carpeting.

2012 Mustang GT Premium (Manual), Sterling Gray, Brembo Package, 3.73 gears, Electronics Package, Comfort Package, HIDs, backup camera, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD mounts, UMI panhard bar, Borla S-Type catbacks, MGW shifter, Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber driveshaft, RTR wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Roush front fascia, DG Custom hidden fog billet grille, Roush lower billet grille, Roush front and side splitters, DG Custom quarter window louvers, GT500 rear diffuser
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Thanks for the help guys!

What about this amp? Does this one have the built in cross over like the XD700 does?
JL Audio XD600/6XD

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page