2012 Mustang Powered Subwoofers or Subwoofer with Amp - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2012 Mustang Powered Subwoofers or Subwoofer with Amp

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to get a subwoofer installed in my 2012 Mustang V6 and I need some help from you guys on choosing the right one. I'm looking for a subwoofer which sounds clean & crisp, I do not want my car trunk vibrating and making all the weird sounds. I'm also thinking of getting the Panasonice tweeters and 4 million color 12in LEDGLOW tubes.

Below are some of my choices :

1.Inifinity BassLink
Infinity BassLink Powered subwoofer: 200 watts and a 10" sub at Crutchfield.com
2.Rockford Fosgate 150-watt Bass Package - package includes R150-2 2-channel amplifier and R1L-1X12 sealed enclosure with one 12" subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate 150-watt Bass Package Includes a Prime Series 150-watt amp and a sealed enclosure with 12" sub at Crutchfield.com
3.Sound Ordnance™ B-8P 80-watt powered bandpass subwoofer
Sound Ordnance™ B-8P 80-watt powered bandpass subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

FYI - I have zero knowledge in Subwoofers and Amps, so it's obvious that I need something like a package so that I don't need to build or buy any boxes.

Could you guys also let me know if there are any good reliable audio shop in or around chicago to install the subwoofers and tweeters ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Well I dont have much experiance with Sound Ordinance so I cant talk to them very much. But they did get pretty good reviews.

As far as the Infinity vs the Fosgate? Id flip a coin. Both are very good manufatuers and both syspems will provide you with good sound. The Fosgate is a 12" while the Infinity is a 10". The 12 may give you a slightly deeper bass than the 10", but with the exta 50 watts the 10 has its probably a wash.

The Fosgate is your basic sub in a box. It has a seperate amp which takes up more space. The Infinity is a all-in-one on the otherhand. Just plug it in and go. It will take up less space and will be easier to hook up. If space is an issue (in a Mustang it usualy is), the Infinity is the winner. Another plus side is you also get a free install kit with the Infinity. Thats $50 right there.

And why not try to install it yourself? Thats half the fun. Its really not too difficult and you learn a lot

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the quick response buddy .... Infinity Basslink has got some good reviews on most of the websites but people were complaining that it burns out in a year or two. Is this the same issue with all the powered subwoofers ?

Do you have any other powered subwoofers in your mind ? Can you also recommend some good subtweeters ?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

install it on my own ? omg .... I have no experience whatsoever, do you think it's that simple ?

what about tweeters and LEDGLOW tubes ? are they easy to install as well ?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I dont have any first-hand experience with them blowing out. Can it happen? Sure. But you also bring up a good point. If an all-in-one amp blows, its usually cheaper to just get another system. While with the component ones, like the Fosgate, you can replace either or at any time if one should fail. Thats important

Another option for you is a custom fit box from MTX like this one. MTX makes some good stuff and it looks great in your car but it comes at a price.

Now the Infinity would be pretty simple to hook up. Power wire, ground, inputs (and maybe a line level converter) and the remote is all it takes. The tweeters are slightly more involved and either require cutting your door panel or the a-pillar trim (my favorite). The directions included with them will show you all the required connections and after that it's just about placing them. With tweeters though ensure they dont need an amp to function correctly. I run standard speakers so I cant really reccomed one tweeter over another for you, sorry. Now all of this advice is also assuming you dont have the Shaker system (it can still be done but is more difficult).

Right now I'm running a custom box with 2 10" Fosgates powered by a 1500 watt kicker mono block (overkill). And I also have a 4 channel amp powering my Infinity door speakers. It sounds awesome and I also got the reward for doing it myself. You can make it work like I did but will lose trunk space in the end.

A great source of knowledge on car audio and electronics is a site called the12volt.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks again buddy .. you have been a great help. I think I will stick with Infinity.

One last question before I buy the Infinity, what do you think about this ?
Kenwood P-W12Tb 350-Watt Amplifier/Subwoofer Package
Amazon.com: Kenwood P-W12Tb 350-Watt Amplifier/Subwoofer Package: Car Electronics
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Kenwood makes some ok stuff, no where near high end but not the worst. One thing to look for is the RMS rating of the amp. The RMS in short is what the amp will put out on a continual basis. The Kenwood does 150 watt's RMS while the infinity will do 200 watts. So you get a little more power with the Infinity. If your looking at bass tubes try looking at the Bazoka tubes. they seem to do pretty well

Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA10250D BT Series 10-Inch 250-Watt Class D Amplified Tube: Car Electronics
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thank you so much buddy !

Okay .. I have decided to stick with Basslink, it seems to be the best powered subwoofer on the market.

I will get it installed this weekend, I spoke to one of the installation guys and he was asking for 100$ ... wt do you suggest ?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

$100 for the instalation isnt bad. I may also suggest that if your looking to put tweeters up front, ask your instalation guy (if its a shop) what kind of deal he can give you on a set of components. That is if you are looking to upgrade your system more in the future
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sure .. Thanks Buddy
Rookie

i like this super slim subwoofer,but i recommend you read more review and Compared with other products, To the high performance/price ratio:hihi:
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

JL audio stealth box
Need an amp but custom made for your stang.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

2012 Grabber Blue GT, 6sp, FRPP Aluminator, 75mm pulley, Lund tuned Roushcharger, Roush cai, ID1000, Kooks super street, Magnafllow Street Series Axleback, MGW shifter, Steeda comp springs, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni Sport, BMR LCA & UCA ,Whiteline Watts link, Whiteline swaybars, JPC linelock, Forgestar F14 on Michelin SS 275/35/20 and 315/35/20
JL audio speakers & amp, Audio control LC2i, Raamaudio Ensolite.
Apprentice
S197 Member

I can attest to the Stealthbox subs. I had one in my Challenger hooked up a 300W amp and I had more than enough bass. When the installer put the system in my Challenger they put the amp on the trunk side of the backseat to save room in the trunk.
here's the link to the JL Stealthbox
Car Audio - Stealthbox® - Ford - Mustang - Ford Mustang Coupe '10-Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page