Stereo, Speakers and Amps installed - Pics - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Stereo, Speakers and Amps installed - Pics

Hey all

I just finished installing a complete stereo with amplifiers this past weekend. While it took a lot longer than expected, part of that was inexperience and part of it was definitely NOT RTFM(Read the Freaking Manual). Also I did have to consult youtube a couple times to figure out how to pop a panel or console.

But alas she is finished!

So this is the coolest part I think, besides the sound:

Above is the metra 99-5823CH with a Pioneer DEH-7200P

For the speakers I used Infinity Kappa 6 x 8's with a crossover built in. The rear ones are hooked to the amp, however, there was no good place that I would see to run the front speakers. The door piece that conencts the existing wire is a real PITA. For now, I am runnung the front speakers off the head unit and capped the RCA cables that go from the head unit to the amp for those particular speakers.

The sub I bought the pioneer shallow mount 10, and it fits nicely in the trunk spare tire well.

I routed the Power wire on the drivers side, and the RCA cables on the passenger side. The ground wire I hooked to the mounting bracket for the backseats. It was the perfect size, i might add. Both the power and ground wires are 0 guage into a fuse for the power on the amps and a ground distro block for each amp.

I used an autotek mean machine 2500.1 for the sub and turned down the power. For the speakers, I used a hifonics 170 x 4 amp.

The sound quality is awesome! I used the built in high pass filter on the head unit to cut the frequencies at 100Hz and the Sub at 53Hz. I have no problems with turning up the stereo and everything staying clean.

EDIT: one thing i did not mention is that where the head unit RCA cables are, you may want to get the elbow RCA connectors because regular RCA cables can be a tight fit. There is a crossmember bar that lines up perfectly with the head unit; at least on a single DIN unit.

Last edited by caddyjoe77; 01-19-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fixing pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
GT Member

Looks good man. Enjoy it.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
Apprentice

Did you already have climate control to begin with? I am skeptical of this upgrade due to my concern that my Air controls won't work correctly. (Mine is manual air)

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 MT Red Candy

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob1111 View Post
Did you already have climate control to begin with? I am skeptical of this upgrade due to my concern that my Air controls won't work correctly. (Mine is manual air)
No, I have the absolute base model. Nothing special. I bought it that way for reasons such as these. This way, I can upgrade the way that I want to. Sure, it may take longer but in the end; the final product will be exactly want I want.

The climate control wiring has a harness from Metra that hooks directly into the factory wiring. That harness plugs into the back of the LCD on the drivers side as it sits. There are 2 plugs, one of which is not used. I made the mistake of plugging that one in first and had full Air Conditioning on, all the time. Needless to say, 30 degrees at night was not pleasant while testing it out.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
Apprentice

So you now have a functioning climate control system? Also what do you think about the potential durability of the soft buttons? Are the buttons backlit? What color?

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 MT Red Candy
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
So you now have a functioning climate control system? Also what do you think about the potential durability of the soft buttons? Are the buttons backlit? What color?
It is not an automatic climate control if that is what you are asking? It is the same, only buttons now integrated.

At first, the center button was sticking a little bit, but some pressing/depressing of the button seemed to clear that up.

You can change the color via the seat heating buttons if you hold them down. I am planning on doing a blue to match my head unit and speedo. They work on a scale of Red Green Blue from 0 - 255. By default they are all 255.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Getting automatic climate controls requires additional sensors to be in the vehicle and the right HVAC module for it. So you can't upgrade to automatic from manual from just a dash change.

If you don't mind me asking, but what's wrong with your controls?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyjoe77 View Post
It is not an automatic climate control if that is what you are asking? It is the same, only buttons now integrated.

At first, the center button was sticking a little bit, but some pressing/depressing of the button seemed to clear that up.

You can change the color via the seat heating buttons if you hold them down. I am planning on doing a blue to match my head unit and speedo. They work on a scale of Red Green Blue from 0 - 255. By default they are all 255.
The color change is only for the LCD display. The buttons will always be a blue backlight.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

Good job,nice and clean looking.

2012 Grabber blue Performance Package V6
PONY Member

Are the "Mustang" and chick customizable?
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Nice setup! I am wanting to hookup an amp and sub also as I have no spare tire in my trunk. Do both the sub and amp fit in the tire space? If you could take pics of your sub setup that would be awesome!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquill1 View Post
Are the "Mustang" and chick customizable?
Yes, they are both customizable. The chick can be changed to a dude. Im still debating what I want to make the text say.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedemption View Post
Nice setup! I am wanting to hookup an amp and sub also as I have no spare tire in my trunk. Do both the sub and amp fit in the tire space? If you could take pics of your sub setup that would be awesome!
The sub fits nicely in the spare tire wheel well. This is what I have: TS-SWX251 - 10" Preloaded Shallow-Mount Component Subwoofer Enclosure | Pioneer Electronics USA. I can snap a pic soon. It sits parallel with the axle line. Now, there is a bracket that holds the spare tire/inflator kit in place. But, if you wanted the 12" instead, you could grind the bracket off and turn the sub perpendicular to the axle line and it would probably fit.

I mounted the amps along the ledge that angles up toward the back seat.
GT Member
V6 Member

And you added a cubby hole! Shoulda come w/ one from the factory. Nice.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
And you added a cubby hole! Shoulda come w/ one from the factory. Nice.

Thanks, the cubbyhole comes with. It can be replaced by a double DIN head unit if you so choose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page