Can a subwoofer damage my Mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012
LegendaryFire

Can a subwoofer damage my Mustang?

I was planning on getting some Rockford Fosgate T2's in the trunk of my 2007 GT although I care about my car greatly and hearing those trunks rattle worries me. My paint is absolutely MINT to a point where I wash using a wool mitten. I was just worried that tons of bass (especially from a Rockford Fosgate T2) would damage my car. Any suggestions or experiences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
Apprentice

If you put subs in make sure you use dynamat inside all of the interior panels. Everything will loosen up and rattle over time which is very annoying to hear.

On my old 02 GT I had three 10" JL Audio W6's. Had the place who installed did the install throw in the dynamat, never had a problem.

2010 GT, Track Package, staggered 20" Bullet Wheels, SLP Axelbacks, Magnaflow X-pipe w/high flow cats, SCT/Bama 93 octane race tune, K&N drop in filter, 30% window tint, Shelby GT500 rear spoiler, DG Customs quarter window louvers, DG Customs side scoops, CDC classic chin spoiler, 3D Carbon Eleanor grill, MMD painted tail light bezels.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

When I'm listening to my Metalcore and the breakdown kicks in (usually have a ****load of bass), EVERYTHING rattles. Bad. Dont even get me started on the trunk. I have the stock Shaker 1000, but still has a bunch of bass to it.

But no, it wont affect your paint, I have never heard of such a thing.. All it will do is rattle/shake the hell out of your windows and mirrors. I remember one time, my mirror was shaking so bad there was a car behind me that I thought was a Mustang. To my surprise, it was a Pontiac XD

The trunk rattling is common if you have subs in the back of your trunk.

It wont affect performance, exterior (except the trunk rattling), interior (except your mirrors and etc. rattling), or anything else. You'll be fine, dont worry.

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
PONY Member

Whats more important?

Your Mustang rattling or Losing your Hearing?

And ya can't repaint the inside of your ears

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford99 View Post
I was planning on getting some Rockford Fosgate T2's in the trunk of my 2007 GT although I care about my car greatly and hearing those trunks rattle worries me. My paint is absolutely MINT to a point where I wash using a wool mitten. I was just worried that tons of bass (especially from a Rockford Fosgate T2) would damage my car. Any suggestions or experiences?
This really depends on the size amp and how many RMS your using. If their hitting hard. You're gonna fry your alternator without a cap(Capacitor). The selection of that also depends on what amp you pick. That cap will stop the massive hit of your sub and it'll say this is how much power you can have. It won't let it draw your car battery and alternator down. Headlights would flicker if that was happening. :smilie

Way too much to list. I'm broke because of it. Tuned by Blue Collar Performance.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012
Apprentice

Bass vibrations will make everything rattle over time, incuding your brain.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012
Apprentice

My friend had some subs in his 350z pushing alot of power and problems he had were: windshield wiper flew off, rearview mirror broke off, licenses plate scratched paint, had to retighten lug nuts every so often. this is an extreme case but this goes to show you what can happen if you throw as much as you can in a car. he stripped his interior down to fit the subs in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
It wont affect performance, exterior (except the trunk rattling),
I hate that. The system sounds great on the inside, and I love turning up the bass on some songs, but I know all everyone in traffic next to me hears is bzzzzzzzzrattlerattlebzzzzzzzzrattlerattle

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012
Rookie

I don't know if this is urban legend or not, however, a kid 's car would begin to misfire and stall out only when a certain song was playing and booming high levels of bass and mid-range frequencies through his car.

They figured that his knock sensor was "hearing " the sound and retarding the timing more and more until his engine just stopped running!

As a musician with tinnitus you DON'T want noise-induced hearing loss. Hearing aids don't take away the 24/7 constant ringing. Drives you insane! NO TREATMENT! PERMANENT!

Last edited by downtowntommy; 01-25-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
LegendaryFire

I like my bass hard, extremely hard. Although if having none is what I need to do; to keep my car in mint condition I shall do that.

An example of the kind of bass I like... That's also a example of the trunk flexing which worried me.
Mustang GT/CS with 2 Kicker L7 12" sub woofers
At 3:24 it looks like it is about to snap in half.. :S
Mitch's Car Audio Install- 2 Kicker L7 12's in a Mustang GT-Alex is a BEAST! - YouTube
Apprentice

I just spent the last month tearing apart my entire car and dynomated the entire thing. I removed the stock 6x9s in the rear and relocated my new diamond hex's to the 1/4 panels, if you want to reduce compression in the truck (which causes rattling) and increase bass in the cab i recommend moving your speakers in the rear as well and leaving as many holes into the cab open as possible. pressurizing your trunk will just blow out those 6x9s you throw up there i had to put rubber under my licence plate, the wing, and i still have to figure out something rattling underneath the car and probably put rubber there. basically anything that comes in contact and not really tight needs rubber or dynomat applied. or your gonna have one of those ghetto cars that shake like a b****. just sayin from my experience thought it might help
Apprentice

Thats my steup but i need my other amp and a whole new rack design is in progress. i have the carpet installed right now and everything is wired
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.JPG
Views:	1259
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	148536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	148537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	7403
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	148538  
Apprentice

Also remember its better to have a amp that is too powerful than a speaker that draws more than your amp can produce. Theres a myth that you should pick speakers that are rated for more power than your amp can produce, but in fact its the opposite. If your amp isn't powerful enough it will clip the signal and generate heat (which will cause it to fail prematurely). The signal clipping will damage your subwoofer and it will sound bad.

For example: 500 watt rms rated subwoofer should be mated to a 500 to 1000+ watt rms amplifier, not the opposite.

My home audio system is a set of 100 watt rated Infinity Reference Series monitors (6 ohm) on a 900 watt RMS x 2 channel (rated at 4 ohm) pro audio amplifier. This sounds a lot better than a 100 watt receiver because it has more headroom (more wattage allows for more dynamic peaks in music), the same is true for car audio. Matching rated RMS on the amp to rated RMS on the speakers is not always a good idea, in fact its better to have more RMS on the amp and turn down your gain (level matching).

Excess power does not blow speakers, distortion/clipping blows speakers. If you ran so much power to blow your speaker you would be blowing your ear drums.

2006 Mustang GT Premium 5MT
C&L Street Intake
DiabloSport Predator 303whp 310wtq (JPC 93 Octane Dyno Tune)
4.10 FRPP Gears
GT500 Strut Brace
LegendaryFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn314 View Post
Thats my steup but i need my other amp and a whole new rack design is in progress. i have the carpet installed right now and everything is wired
Ahh yeah that's a nice setup! I've also came to notice the stock 8" door subwoofers, what would be a good replacement for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page