Alternator and subs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Alternator and subs

So I recently upgraded to an 1800 watt kenwood amp, and two 12" kicker cvr122's.

Previously with a memphis 800 16-pr2x100, my headlights would dim every time the bass hit, and I was wondering whether or not there might be any power-related issues with this new set up. The subs are 2 ohms and the amp says it's 1 ohm stable.

Any idea how I should wire the subs? I don't want to ruin the amp or the subs, obviously. And I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology, such as parallel and series wiring. Ha, thanks to anyone with some insight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
haha, im pretty sure we have the same amp (KAC-9104d)? i had that and 2 kicker cvr 10's in my jeep but i thought i was gona sell to get the stang, ended up with both :P haven't got around to reinstalling the system into the jeep yet though, mustang trunk is way to small :-(

anyways you need a capacitor, to stop the light dimming problem, if its only when the bass hits. A Capacitor removes the noise in the power, and will end up giving you higher bass hits and no light dimming problems either.

1800w amp is the peak if u have the same amp as me, 900w continuous so you will need around a 2-3 farad cap

Tsunami Litewave Series PP92UM-CAP 2-farad canister-style capacitor at Crutchfield.com[rank710]Amplifier+Cables+%26+Installation&nvpair=FFSubcate gory|[rank725]Capacitors

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

hmm, 150 bucks. Wow. Haha

I actually have the kac-9105d but I believe they are essentially the same thing. Yeah, the fit in the trunk is tight, but I made it work. Thanks for the link, now I just need to make sure I wire the subs right for the amp.

Much appreciated!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

For anyone interested in that particular capacitor, I found it on ebay for 79.99 free shipping.

Idk the quality of it, but it claims to be brand new. If I get one I'll be sure to let you all know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsunami-PP92...ht_1701wt_1416
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
Rookie

Never had a good experience with capacitors only left me with a dead battery over night. Not sure what farad it was but was useless in my opinion. I didn't hear better bass hits with it installed maybe check your current battery life

2008 Black V6 4.0
JLT CAI, Bama Race 93 Octane Tune (SCT SF3)
Pypes dual exhaust, demon coils, NGK plugs
[/I]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page