Those of you with subs in the trunk. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Those of you with subs in the trunk.

Installed my new stereo last weekend and I love it! I put a single 12" sub in the trunk and it hits hard! However, I am not 20 anymore and the loud bass thing is not my cup of tea anymore. I have the amp turned down and the bass setting to the middle. This gives me a nice thump when listening to music, but will not piss the neighbors off.

One thing I have always hated is when somebody pulls up next to you and you hear metal vibrating. Well, my trunk is doing this and it drives me crazy. If I just put dynamat on the top of the deck lid, will this stop the metal vibrating sound; or do I have to do then entire trunk? This dynamat stuff is freaking expensive, so I want to stay cost effective here.

Those of you in my position, what have you done to stop the vibrating metal sound? Do I get Dynamat Dynaliner or Dynamat Extreme?

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
Apprentice

Fake, I'm in your same shoes right now. Exactly same situation. I just put in a 2 10's yesterday and it's crazy loud and my car rattles. Part of what I need to do is put a sponge behind my license plate. I'm interested to what others have done also. Even with the amp turned down it rattles.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKJR View Post
Fake, I'm in your same shoes right now. Exactly same situation. I just put in a 2 10's yesterday and it's crazy loud and my car rattles. Part of what I need to do is put a sponge behind my license plate. I'm interested to what others have done also. Even with the amp turned down it rattles.
I hear ya.. The only things that seem to vibrate right now is my rear view mirror and the trunk lid. If I push on the trunk lid, the vibrating sound stops. sonicelectronix has a 9.99 dynamat kit for the license plate. lol.

I'm just wondering if doing the top trunk lid will be enough since the vibrating stops when I push down on it?

Dynamat Sound Dampening | Car Speaker Installation & Accessories | Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
Apprentice

I was in your same shoes. The rattling ended up coming from my spoiler. I unbolted it, made a small gasket out of gasket sealer, bolted back on nice and snug, and the rattling was gone. If you're hearing it from the deck lid area and you have a spoiler, see if it could be coming from it! If it were, fixing it would be much less expensive!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
PONY Member

2 10's here and my taillights rattle.

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
Apprentice

I have a Polk Audio 12" Xi112, it shakes the whole car, I cant even figure out what rattles and what doesn't i just turn down the bass where the rattling isn't obnoxious. for the plate i just took double tape, and put it behind my licence plate. it was enough of a cushion to stop it from rattling.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Installed my new stereo last weekend and I love it! I put a single 12" sub in the trunk and it hits hard! However, I am not 20 anymore and the loud bass thing is not my cup of tea anymore. I have the amp turned down and the bass setting to the middle. This gives me a nice thump when listening to music, but will not piss the neighbors off.

One thing I have always hated is when somebody pulls up next to you and you hear metal vibrating. Well, my trunk is doing this and it drives me crazy. If I just put dynamat on the top of the deck lid, will this stop the metal vibrating sound; or do I have to do then entire trunk? This dynamat stuff is freaking expensive, so I want to stay cost effective here.

Those of you in my position, what have you done to stop the vibrating metal sound? Do I get Dynamat Dynaliner or Dynamat Extreme?
The dynamat will work on the top of the trunk. Just remember the more you add the more weight it'll be. It's pretty heavy. I must have added near 20 - 30 pounds in another car of mine to get all the "rattles" to stop. I had to put it all over the lid, lights, spare wheel, everything. Have you tried placing the woofer towards the back and pointing it at the backseat first? Helps the moving air to bounce off the soft seats then dissipate through out the trunk. If you have a ported box, try to keep the woofer pointed toward the seats and the port towards the side of the wheel well.

2012 GTCS. HID/Security Package. 3.73 Gears.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
Apprentice

dont use dynamat theres stuff on ebay called phatmat and its way cheaper and the same thing
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
I hear ya.. The only things that seem to vibrate right now is my rear view mirror and the trunk lid. If I push on the trunk lid, the vibrating sound stops. sonicelectronix has a 9.99 dynamat kit for the license plate. lol.

I'm just wondering if doing the top trunk lid will be enough since the vibrating stops when I push down on it?

Dynamat Sound Dampening | Car Speaker Installation & Accessories | Car Audio/Video Installation & Accessories | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix
Hey Guys, chasing those rattles can take alot of trial and error. I have dyno matted the entire bottom and back (interior and exterior of where the tailights go), top of the trunk lid, removed my rear bumper and done along those edges, and I still am getting rattle from the tail lights and even more from the pedastal spoiler. I think I have spent close to $500 in dynomat.

Goodluck, let me know if you find a better way to keep those tail lights from making noise, perhaps using some kind of a foam would be better.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
Hey Guys, chasing those rattles can take alot of trial and error. I have dyno matted the entire bottom and back (interior and exterior of where the tailights go), top of the trunk lid, removed my rear bumper and done along those edges, and I still am getting rattle from the tail lights and even more from the pedastal spoiler. I think I have spent close to $500 in dynomat.

Goodluck, let me know if you find a better way to keep those tail lights from making noise, perhaps using some kind of a foam would be better.
Dynomating the whole trunk will be your best bet. Or there are other makers of deadening materials like dynomat but are cheaper
Rookie

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING DYNAMAT! It's not the issue.... I had the same problem and looked at the deck lid to see where it was vibrating (basically where the paint was coming off). I went to lowes and bought single side stick 1/4" weather seal and put it along the curved edge of my trunk lid and it solved the vibrating problem. Sure, dynamat will help a lot with vibrations and for better sound but if you just want to get rid of the vibration then get the weather stripping from lowes/home depot. EASY fix!

If you guys need pictures let me know!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebz View Post
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING DYNAMAT! It's not the issue.... I had the same problem and looked at the deck lid to see where it was vibrating (basically where the paint was coming off). I went to lowes and bought single side stick 1/4" weather seal and put it along the curved edge of my trunk lid and it solved the vibrating problem. Sure, dynamat will help a lot with vibrations and for better sound but if you just want to get rid of the vibration then get the weather stripping from lowes/home depot. EASY fix!

If you guys need pictures let me know!
Yes, I would like to see some pics.

1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page