Upgrading My Audio - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Upgrading My Audio

Hey, I've been thinking about getting some new speakers and possibly a sub for my car. My speakers are not bad (they are starting to lose quality though) and there isn't enough bass for me. My question to all of you is should I get a sub and a new amp? or should I just get 4 new speakers? I don't know too much about how the speakers work (or the audio system in general for that matter) so I'm sure I'll have new questions as time goes by. I've been looking at these for the rear deck http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI5...70.html?tp=105 these for the fronts http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCP...FC-P509PS.html and I haven't checked out any subs yet. Personal experience with any brand/model speaker or sub is more than welcome

1999 Mustang v6 convertible - Sold
2003 Mustang GT Koni STR.T & Vogtland springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

I thought that the speakers were 5x7s all the way around?

Find out the right size, then get on Amazon and start looking at reviews. you'll usually get the best prices on there and good reviews.

I just did this on my truck...turned out great.

347 turbo 95 GT & roller 95 GT (past 408w car)

MOESMUSCLEMUSTANGS.WORDPRESS.COM
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012
Jozsefsz

Crutchfield is a great site to start with, so you can pick what's going to fit exactly. Replacing the factory speakers is going to help with the high's and mid's, and may even give you a little bass back especially if you've fried them and they're crackling.

I'd suggest you get the largest speaker that can fit the opening, instead of a smaller speaker that can be "adapted" to a larger opening. So if you're able to use a 6x8, and you're buying a 5x7 that has an adapter, you're downgrading especially on the bass-side of things.

If you're looking for a thumping, feel-it-in-your-seat kind of bass, I'd go with a separate amp and sub (or a powered sub). I wouldn't necessarily replace the stock sub, but rather wire in both and use all the power of the 2nd amp to run the sub. You're just not going to get huge bass out of the stock speakers no matter what you do with them (bass / low-frequency power requires a larger surface area in most configurations).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Thanks both of you. Regarding the speaker size, I put in my vehicle on crutchfield and these options came up. I will look for bigger ones though cause bigger is better And I think I will look into subs more because I do like the thumping feeling in my seat

1999 Mustang v6 convertible - Sold
2003 Mustang GT Koni STR.T & Vogtland springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page