2005 Mustang GT Shaker 1000 Audio Sys. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2005 Mustang GT Shaker 1000 Audio Sys.

Hi All,

I would like some input as to whether to replace my shaker 1000 audio system with OEM or aftermarket. I am inquiring with Ford & local audio store. Any recommendations? I live in Hilo Hawaii (Big Island) I would want to keep the replacement in a affordable price range.

By the way, I have a 1970 fastback that I am working slowly to make it street legal. Anyone out there has a trunk bezel? Gas cap? my email is [email protected].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012
PONY Member

Considering the high number of complaints and continuous problems with the problematic shaker system, I would strongly consider a good quality aftermarket headunit. Replacing it with another shaker is basically replacing junk with junk. It will not last no matter how well you treat it. I am a fan of Alpine but there are alot of choices.

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I am looking to upgrade my Shaker 1000 head unit also. My main reason revolves around Sat Radio, as I live in the middle of no-where. I have looked into decently priced aftermarket options; the one Im leaning towards is the Kenwood DDX319, which is very similar to the DDX318 (link below) but is also Sat Radio ready. I weighed in Complexity of the unit (I dont want something so complex, I cant use easily on the road), Cost (dont want a dollar store bargain, nor will I spend more on my radio than my car insurance), and lastly if it looks good, is durable, and has the functions I wanted (Sat radio).

The issue I am running into with most aftermarket head units is although many of the 2 Din Decks I find attractive hover around the $400.00 - $500.00 range, the required "upgraded" 1000w Shaker wiring harness (so Ive been told by several places - not sure why) costs about 200.00, instead of the regular 30 - 40 bucks.

Pick the brains of the guys here, but in your down time head over to a car audio specific shop, and see whats out there. That should provide you with an opportunity to check out a few units hands on. At least the install for our S197 is real easy, and shouldnt take more than an hour.

Kenwood DDX318 DVD Receiver

Hope this helped.

"A veteran is someone who, at some point in his life, wrote a cheque payable to 'my country' for the amount of 'upto and including my life'. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page