RMS power of the head unit, shaker system - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

RMS power of the head unit, shaker system

I have the California Special with the Shaker audio system. I was thinking about getting a DVD navigation system for it, which claims 17w RMS and 52 peak. Would that be on par or better than the headunit output it comes with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The shaker 500 has separate amps in the car to run the speakers. The amp in the trunk is 4 channel and serves the 4 - 5x7 speakers (roughly 60 watts peak x 4) and the amp by the drivers kick pannel is also 4-channels serving the 2- dual voice coil 8" subs in each of the doors. These subs see about 60 watts peak per voice coil or 120 watts per speaker peak) Thus the peak rating of the entire system is about 480 watts - hence the Shaker 500 name. If you were to install a unit like you suggest, you would need to rewire the 4 - 5x7 speakers from that unit, and you would loose the 8" subs. There may be a kit out there, from someone like metra or scosche that can utilize your aftermaket head unit and convert the signal to a line in to the factory amps. Not something I would suggest doing.

Good luck.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So basically it's all or nothing? As in, replace the whole system or none of it?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
So basically it's all or nothing? As in, replace the whole system or none of it?
Don't despair! There are changes to the stock system that will improve the sound.

I simply replaced 5x7's in the doors with Kenwood separates and enjoyed an immediate improvement in clarity etc.

The input allows you to run any source you can think of.

I'm not sure whether SYNC will link with a bluetooth GPS, my GPS isn't equipped with it.

Search the forums you will find lot's of info, IMHO there are enough good features with the Shaker500/SYNC setup to make it worthwhile modifying.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
Don't despair! There are changes to the stock system that will improve the sound.

I simply replaced 5x7's in the doors with Kenwood separates and enjoyed an immediate improvement in clarity etc.

The input allows you to run any source you can think of.

I'm not sure whether SYNC will link with a bluetooth GPS, my GPS isn't equipped with it.

Search the forums you will find lot's of info, IMHO there are enough good features with the Shaker500/SYNC setup to make it worthwhile modifying.
I agree completely, I maintained the shaker head unit/navi/sync/and blutooth, but have changed out all the speakers and added some subs and amps. The car sounds great, but still looks and functions the same as stock.

Unfortunately the OP is asking about installing an aftermarket Navi headunit, which is more difficult to integrate into the cars stock amps and speakers. It is very possible, but there are definite features of the shaker 500 (bluetooth / sync etc) that will be lost. So I tend to agree that installing an aftermarket navi headunit is pretty much an all or nothing kind of mod.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I pretty much only care about adding a double din gps and DVD player that connects to an iPod. Perhaps a backup camera.

Microsoft sync is an absolute piece of **** as is most things Microsoft produces. The shuffle is pathetic as it continuously repeats the same songs. The voice activation is spotty at best. The only decent thing is the steering controls but honestly the cockpit is small enough that I usually use the radio controls anyhow. The menus are tedious to navigate. The car listed here for about 37500 and ive got a display equivalent to something i had in the 90s or early 2000s. My wifes mercedes was cheaper with a better radio. Overall the head unit is garbage.

So yeah I'm basically just trying to replace that head unit.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I have the California Special with the Shaker audio system. I was thinking about getting a DVD navigation system for it, which claims 17w RMS and 52 peak. Would that be on par or better than the headunit output it comes with?
You asked a question and sought advice and it would seem you'd already made up your mind prior to asking....

Quote:
I pretty much only care about adding a double din gps and DVD player that connects to an iPod. Perhaps a backup camera.

Microsoft sync is an absolute piece of **** as is most things Microsoft produces. The shuffle is pathetic as it continuously repeats the same songs. The voice activation is spotty at best. The only decent thing is the steering controls but honestly the cockpit is small enough that I usually use the radio controls anyhow. The menus are tedious to navigate. The car listed here for about 37500 and ive got a display equivalent to something i had in the 90s or early 2000s. My wifes mercedes was cheaper with a better radio. Overall the head unit is garbage.

I had a few issues initially however with SYNC but after having a good look at the support site
SYNC | Support | Find Manuals, Guides and Instructions for Android, iPhone, iPod, Zune, Bluetooth and USB, Get Software Updates and More | SYNC with MyFord Touch | Ford.com

and after one reset, all my SYNC features have performed almost perfectly for the last ten months. I have a $10 USB stick locked in the center console with around 4000 songs which I can verbally call-up with zero issues.

As for the backup cam, if you have an auto-dimming mirror, the Ford camera option hooks into that and you get a discrete display on the left hand side. 2012 and later Stangs require the nav package to get the display.

If you have truly given up and get that new head-unit installed, maybe you could share how it all works out.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012
Apprentice

Grok,
Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I have a 2012 GT/CS with the auto dimming mirror, are you saying the camera display should already be in that mirror and I "could" hook up a camera and it would/should work?
again, sorry about off topic but interested in this and you and GoT midlife CS seem to be well informed.

2012 GT/CS, race red, auto, HID/Security pkg, Comfort Pkg. BAMA Tune, Borla "Touring" axle backs, Heartthrob cat back with "H" pipe, LED Dome lights, Pioneer TS-D6802R front speakers, GT500 rear mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats, Back window louvers, Tint, Chrome accents on radio bezels, K & N, Redline hood struts, JLT catch can, Remote start, Eibach Pro springs, Koni SRT's, BMR panhard .
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazor View Post
Grok,
Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I have a 2012 GT/CS with the auto dimming mirror, are you saying the camera display should already be in that mirror and I "could" hook up a camera and it would/should work?
again, sorry about off topic but interested in this and you and GoT midlife CS seem to be well informed.
I don't believe so. When I was comparing builds between the 2011 and the 2012, the 2012 wanted the navigation package to display the rear camera view. The 2011 just needed the upgrade that included the heated seats, shaker 500, sync and auto-dimming mirror etc.... No Navigation required!

That and the incentives was why I picked the 2011 over 2012.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Assuming you have the auto dimming....on the 2011...what would it cost to add the backup
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

$300 at build time in Canada. The camera is in the spoiler, so I'm not sure if that's part of the price, best talk to your friendly dealer. Probably worth looking at.

katyyara

Quote:
No,i don't think so.it can't replace the whole system
Apprentice

Thanks Grok.....

2012 GT/CS, race red, auto, HID/Security pkg, Comfort Pkg. BAMA Tune, Borla "Touring" axle backs, Heartthrob cat back with "H" pipe, LED Dome lights, Pioneer TS-D6802R front speakers, GT500 rear mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats, Back window louvers, Tint, Chrome accents on radio bezels, K & N, Redline hood struts, JLT catch can, Remote start, Eibach Pro springs, Koni SRT's, BMR panhard .
silverbull271

Quote:

You think the display on head unit is bad on the Mustang? Get in a brand new 2012 Corvette, which is tens of thousands of dollars more than the Mustang! LOL!!! They are still using lcd display which looks like a casio watch from 1989!

The Mustang display is using LED and IMO looks GREAT!
PONY Member

Quote:
Assuming you have the auto dimming....on the 2011...what would it cost to add the backup
You can use this for steering wheel controls
Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black): Automotive

And I would suggest doing so.. Not too complicated to install when taking out stock deck. And if you accept you are replacing the stock deck honestly job gets alot easier in some ways.. I personally go after a cheap 4/5 channel amp like MB Quart or Cadance

WoofersEtc.com - F100-5 - Cadence 5-Channel 1800 Watt High Power Amplifier

or

WoofersEtc.com - ZRS-C8 - Cadence 2000W 5-Channel ZRS Type C Series High Powered Car Amplifier

or

MB Quart ONX4.125 - 1000W RMS ONYX 4-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp

then run whatever speakers you want and whatever sub you want. Just remove what currently in the car. Then looking at one AMP kit and one AMP install.. Running RCAs back to AMP and then speaker wire to all the speakers.. Work yes.. Hard no.. Trying to mod the stock unit is a pain and wont sound as good.. then down the road if you want to install a processor in the mix you are processor ready.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT6 | 3.73's | Security Pkg | BREMBO | Comfort
Installed JLT oil catch can, Tint, Beltronics RX45/shifters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page