2006 Mustang Coupe speaker replacement - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2006 Mustang Coupe speaker replacement

I have a 2006 Mustang V6 coupe with the basic 4 speaker system. However, I recently replaced the factory head unit with a Sony XAV-622 and added a Rockford Fosgate P3D4 12" subwoofer with a Rockford P400-1 mono amp pushing 538 into the sub.

The bass is great and I love it, but it overpowers the highs and mids from the crappy 25W factory speakers. I'd like to replace all 4 speakers with aftermarket speakers with a 4 channel amp powering them.

What are some very good speakers that will fit in my front door/rear deck that will put out some good mids and highs to somewhat balance out the subwoofer. I'm not very concerned about getting a lot of bass out the speaker so what size should I get?

The guy at the local car audio shop tried selling me Memphis 5x7's and a Memphis 4 channel amp and it'd run me $140 pair for speaker, $300 for the amp, and about $90 for installation.

I'd love for some people with experience in car audio or who has changed out their own speakers and are very pleased with their speakers.

2003 Zinc Yellow GT
5 speed of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012
GT Member

Garage
Aftermarket Speakers

I replaced mine with some pioneer 3-way speakers in the 6x8 size. They are rated at 40 watts per channnel RMS continuous power and 350 RMS Max. I purchased a Hifionics 4 channel amp that runs 4 channels at 40 watts RMS. That's more than enough power for me. However, if you are into competition or need to have bragging rights among your peers, you are free to go with higher wattage in speakers and amps. I suggest that you listen to the lower wattage and the higher wattage at a car audio shop, before you spend lots of money on power that you wont use for everyday listening.

I have 2 - 8" polk audio subs in the trunk and They are also adequate. I like my music relatively loud and these do it without any distortion.

I attached a photo of my completed install. I did it myself after considering a local audio shop and Best Buy. Glad I did it myself. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amplifier Photos (8).jpg
Views:	350
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	154715  

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberoy123 View Post
I replaced mine with some pioneer 3-way speakers in the 6x8 size. They are rated at 40 watts per channnel RMS continuous power and 350 RMS Max. I purchased a Hifionics 4 channel amp that runs 4 channels at 40 watts RMS. That's more than enough power for me. However, if you are into competition or need to have bragging rights among your peers, you are free to go with higher wattage in speakers and amps. I suggest that you listen to the lower wattage and the higher wattage at a car audio shop, before you spend lots of money on power that you wont use for everyday listening.

I have 2 - 8" polk audio subs in the trunk and They are also adequate. I like my music relatively loud and these do it without any distortion.

I attached a photo of my completed install. I did it myself after considering a local audio shop and Best Buy. Glad I did it myself. Good luck.
Nice, however, as of March 30th I no longer own the V6. I traded it in and got a '03 GT with a manual tranny. However, before I got rid of it I installed a Sony XAV-622 head unit along with a Rockford Fosgate P3D412 12" subwoofer powered by a Rockford Fosgate P400-1 pushing 538watts @ 2 ohms. I did strip the 6 banger's audio out since I only had it in for a month and put it in my new GT. The GT has the Mach 460 system and I love the stock speakers/amp combo so I'm going to stick with them. I may add another another P3D412 powered by a Rockford 1200W Prime series amp.

2003 Zinc Yellow GT
5 speed of course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page