Main amp wire to battery - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Main amp wire to battery

Was just given an amp from a buddy of mine. Nothin fancy just 200x2 watts. It will only be pushing one 12" so I have some trunk room left. The main thing I need to know is what kind of wire do I need to push it? I have some pretty thick copper wire laying around, but my buddy says I need an actual amp wire with a fuse or else my battery will die overnight. Is this true? There is already a fuse on the amp itself so I am very confused.

1998 GT - CAI, trickflow 75mm intake, 3.73 gears, O/R x-pipe, flowmasters, short throw shifter, 24lb injectors. 183k miles
1995 GT vert - 1 of 36 5.0 Appx. 400,000~ factory motor miles (totaled, in garage)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Yes, you are going to need a power and ground wire made for an amp. In all likelihood a 200 Watt amp is not going to be enough to power a single 12, even if it is a lower end sub and a high end amp. I have 1200 watts going to a single 12 and it does great, maybe a bit much for the speaker actually.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
Yes, you are going to need a power and ground wire made for an amp. In all likelihood a 200 Watt amp is not going to be enough to power a single 12, even if it is a lower end sub and a high end amp. I have 1200 watts going to a single 12 and it does great, maybe a bit much for the speaker actually.
It was free so I can't complain lol. Just a good opportunity to flex my wiring/routing skills. I have installed a few head units but not an amp/sub.

1998 GT - CAI, trickflow 75mm intake, 3.73 gears, O/R x-pipe, flowmasters, short throw shifter, 24lb injectors. 183k miles
1995 GT vert - 1 of 36 5.0 Appx. 400,000~ factory motor miles (totaled, in garage)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012
Apprentice

You can buy amp wiring kits with everything you need. If your going to run just that 1 amp then 8ga wire will be fine. You'll want to find a switched 12v source from your radio to turn on/off your when you turn on/off your radio or your amp will be on all the time like your buddy mentioned and your battery will die.

Typically amp power wire is different than normal wire. To keep it simple there is alot more strands (usually fine wire) to help carry the current (amperage).

You usually want to put fuse 6-12" from battery. This is more of safety in case you get a short somewhere to back and the fuse blows instead of wire heating up and catching fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page