Audio Upgrade! Questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Audio Upgrade! Questions

I am wanting to put subs in my trunk, and I would just like to know what I would need. Like subs, a box for the subs, wiring, amps, what else? sorry if I sound stupid

Current Rides:

1987 5.8 V8 351W Ford Bronco (Sold) Lifted/Mud Grapplers
1995 5.0 Gt (In Progress) Lambo Orange Some Mods
2001 3.8 V6 (Sold) Silver No Mods
2002 4.0 V6 Ford Explorer (College Car) 2 12' Mtx Terminators,

:kooky:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

why wont anyone help me out here?????

Current Rides:

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

You'll need what you listed above, but you have to specify if you got an aftermarket head unit or not. If you're still using the stock HU, you'll need a line out converter (Audio Control makes a popular one) to provide the input signal to your amplifier.

If you go to Crutchfield's site, there are some good basic tutorials about car audio on there. Much easier than explaining all the basics on a forum.

2013 Race Red GT/CS 6MT; Elec Pkg; RAAMat on the doors; Morel Tempo 5x7 coaxials; GT500 axle-backs painted black

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Thanks and sorry for sounding like an ass. And I am using an after market headunit. But I guess my real question wasnt what I need but how to go about doing the hook up and you answered that question so thanks again

Current Rides:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

With aftermarket head unit, you use the RCA outputs to provide the signal to the external amp. There's also a 12V turn on lead that you usually route along with your RCA's (it's usually a blue wire that comes off your head unit). For subs, just get a class D mono amp. Do you know about what you want to get?

2013 Race Red GT/CS 6MT; Elec Pkg; RAAMat on the doors; Morel Tempo 5x7 coaxials; GT500 axle-backs painted black
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Well a couple of buddies have mtx and boss audio or rockford fos.. arent bad I think but I just want to get that good kick and bass note and tone with some punch. If that sounds reasonable. I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, country some times, sounds a little contradictory but hey what ever suits the style, so what would you suggest??

Current Rides:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

My personal favorite sub brand is elemental designs. Their website is edesignaudio.com. There are a lot of good ones out there, though. Fosgate, Kicker, JL, whatever, but I'm partial to eD. I saw where Sonicelectronix carries Resonant Engineering now, which is a VERY good brand and prices weren't bad either. You could get a single 12", a class D amp that puts out 200 or 300 watts and it would be enough to melt your head.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Also, have you swapped out or plan to swap out the 5x7's in the doors/rear deck? The Infinity Reference models are what most people are going to for 5x7's since they're 2 ohm, and work very well off of the head unit alone.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Thanks I will have to check that out as well. So much good information is making my head spinlol. But most likely I will swap out the door speakers for something else but right now they are still the stock ones and the rear deck are still in but arent hooked up right now I have two pioneers wired up in a little home made box sitting in the trunk. Will probably get two new rear deck speakers to just so I know everything is new and working.

Current Rides:

Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcesarey View Post
Also, have you swapped out or plan to swap out the 5x7's in the doors/rear deck? The Infinity Reference models are what most people are going to for 5x7's since they're 2 ohm, and work very well off of the head unit alone.
Quick question - totally unrelated to OP:

Does the stock radio (2012) run 2 ohms to the stock speakers?
PONY Member
S197 Member

I believe the 5x7 stock speakers are 2 ohm. The ohm load is completely dependant upon the speaker. The amp operates at whatever impedence the load is. Let's say, if the amp is putting out 20 watts of continuous power with a 2 ohm speaker and you swapped that out for a 4 ohm speaker, the amp would only put out 12 or 13 watts.

This wattage difference is crucial because your perception of loudness is not on a linear scale, it's logarithmic. When you double power, you increase 3dB. That means that the difference between 1 and 2 watts is exactly the same amount of perceptible difference between 1000 and 2000 watts, it's an increase in 3dB. So, the difference between 12 or 13 watts and 20 watts is quite a lot. Also, at comfortable listening levels you're listening to a lot less power than you think, usually less than a watt.

High quality amps double their output when you halve the impedence, and that's something that is an indication of quality when looking at aftermarket amps. You want to see, as an example, 50 watts at 4 ohm, 100 watts at 2 ohm. Cheaper amps will say something like 50 watts at 4 ohm, 75 watts at 2 ohm. Well, I could rant about this stuff all day so I'll stop here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page