Having trouble with subs fitting in trunk? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Having trouble with subs fitting in trunk?

Hi, I am trying to put a sub box in my car (2012 v6 coupe not vert) but am having a slight issue. The box hits the trunk latch in the middle of the trunk opening just barely but clears the plastic trim around it. I was wondering if i could just remove the plastic trunk trim and then unbolt the latch, slide the box in and then put everything back together? Mainly im just worried that i wont be able to realign the trunk latch and will have trunk closing issues. in the pic the red is the latch hitting the box and the blue is a bolt that holds the latch to the car that I would be thinking of removing to take the latch off.

2012 premium mustang v6 MT-82
2014 Harley 72' sportster

Overworked and underpaid technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member

Have you tried puttin the back seats down and going in that way? My buddy fit two 12"s in a huge box in his 01 v6... it took alot of twisting and turning but it finally went. Just a few ideas before taking things apart.

2002 Torch Red GT

1990 B2200... when I really wanna go fast
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
Apprentice

What about cutting a groove in the box instead?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02torchedgt View Post
Have you tried puttin the back seats down and going in that way? My buddy fit two 12"s in a huge box in his 01 v6... it took alot of twisting and turning but it finally went. Just a few ideas before taking things apart.
The opening from the seats folded down in the 2012 is tiny and the box is huge no way that's ever happening.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
What about cutting a groove in the box instead?
That is a last resort since the box goes in long ways and then turn once in the trunk so it would need to be a huge groove

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerocket View Post
That is a last resort since the box goes in long ways and then turn once in the trunk so it would need to be a huge groove

I am thinking instead of taking your car apart it would be easier to just take the box apart and reassemble it in the trunk.... yea not the best or easiest thing but probably better than destroying your trunk...

2011 Mustang GT, Black with Black stripe.
6 Speed Manual.
3.73 + Brembo Brake Package.
Comfort Package.
Charcoal Black Interior.
Appearance Package 4.(Hood Scoop and Rear Spoiler)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
PONY Member

I used to be a basshead in my younger days. I learned the hard way.....my first couple cars ended up rattleboxes akin to your 80's buick that sound like the trunk is filled with coke cans. If it's big enough to interfere with the latch I'm assuming it's a largish ported box.....try going sealed and halving the volume, the mustang is small enough in the rear to generate enough cabin gain. I could help alot more if I knew the specifics. One of my side hobbies is DIY HI-FI. I've built my fair share of speakers/subs, both home and auto, and as a result I've educated myself pretty well in the subject. I'm not attempting to gloat.....just to help and be a resource.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
Apprentice

Oh man, does this bring back memories. In high school I had a nice pleather wrapped Audiobahn box with 2 10s and a 98 V6. I ended up taking out the spare tire, using that cavity to weasel the box in and then spin it once it was in. And I totally wrecked the cover on the box. It was a pain, but where there is a will there is a way!

Honeybadger - 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift DD

stangless for now

Lumo - 2012 GT, 6-spd, Brembo brakes/SOLD
Vera - 2007 Mustang GT California Special, 5-spd/SOLD
1998 Mustang V6, 5-spd/SOLD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012
Apprentice

I actually found a pic!
(not that anybody gives a damn lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub.jpg
Views:	2967
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	152788  

Honeybadger - 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift DD

stangless for now

Lumo - 2012 GT, 6-spd, Brembo brakes/SOLD
Vera - 2007 Mustang GT California Special, 5-spd/SOLD
1998 Mustang V6, 5-spd/SOLD
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you remove the latch assembly be sure to get it back on exactly how you took it off. If it is misaligned even a little bit your trunk won't close properly. Easiest way to solve your issue without deconstructing the box!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndeadline View Post
If you remove the latch assembly be sure to get it back on exactly how you took it off. If it is misaligned even a little bit your trunk won't close properly. Easiest way to solve your issue without deconstructing the box!
Took my whole trunk apart still no go it fits but won't turn due to just barely hitting the small part of the trunk by the taillight assembly...looks like I'm choppin the boxes corners off. Huge ported box doesn't go well with mustangs trunks who would have guessed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page