Purchased Pioneer AppRadio 2 + Metra Dash Kit - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Someone asked what you need to do an aftermarket HU install. I am not a pro, so understand that with this advice. Here is what I purchased:

1. Head unit - (pioneer double-din AppRadio2 in my case)
  2. Metra dash kit 99-5823CH
  3. Antenna Adapter Motorola M to OEM antenna F
  4. PAC RapidPro steering wheel control and BUS adapter RP4-FD11
  5. (4) 12" RCA extensions (my installer didn't leave enough length on the wires from the amp to plug into the HU. YMMV
adding an amp:

1. 5 channel amp
  2. amp wiring kit
  3. Speakers
  4. Sub
  5. custom box

Additionally, I purchased a back-up camera. The Pioneer AppRadio HU comes with a GPS antennae and microphone. I was pleased to learn after I installed the HU and PAC harness that the "next" and "prev" buttons on the Boss Steering wheel now work! They were not working with the OEM HU for some reason.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david89 View Post
whats appradio? its a stereo like an ipod or something?
AppRadio 2

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CIUB EBYwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crutchfield.com%2FISEO-rgbtcspd%2Fp_130SPDA100%2FPioneer-SPH-DA100-AppRadio-2.html&ei=BaDwT8CbL-jy0gHc3o37Ag&usg=AFQjCNEewTklIS9a_YdseIhfjhi2XR8wV w

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0WOg5UyOY1LzvA

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I gave up on the POS Pioneer AppRadio2. More garbage from China or India. I was able to swap it out for a 4400BH through Crutchfield. I have to give them props as it was long past 60 days. Thank you Crutchfield! You earned my business!

2013 Ford Explorer Sport

GT Member

what was the problem with it?

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I also have the 4400... Got it off amazon for 399. Here's a hint man, there's many many stereo websites that are hundreds of dollars cheaper than Crutchfield. Always Google the model number or go to sonicelectronix.com, onlinecarstereo, or something like that. Crutchfield are almost as much as local stereo shops

2012 Base GT/MT-82/3.73 KONA BLUE
JLT INTAKE/AED TUNE/PYPES A/B
CUSTOM 3 INCH MIDPIPES/DYNAFLO ULTRAFLO X MUFFLER/NO CATS
J&M CONTROL ARMS/ADJUSTABLE PANHARD/FORD K SPRINGS
KICKER SOLOBARIC L7 12"SUB/KICKER 750X1
4 KICKER 6X8s/dbDRIVE 1000X4
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBlueKiller View Post
I also have the 4400... Got it off amazon for 399. Here's a hint man, there's many many stereo websites that are hundreds of dollars cheaper than Crutchfield. Always Google the model number or go to sonicelectronix.com, onlinecarstereo, or something like that. Crutchfield are almost as much as local stereo shops
Dude, I'm from the South but I'm not a flaming idiot. Crutchfield had a sale on it and it was the cheapest price at the time combined with the Metra dash kit. I use google and bing shopping searches for everything that I buy. I also use savvy shopper on my iphone to check prices for local purchases. For example, never buy anything from Best Buy unless you want to pay the highest price. :-)

They switched it for the 4400BH at no cost to me...and that is a higher priced unit. So I'm happy.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
what was the problem with it?
1. Randomly reboots to blank screen
2. Apps crashes most of the time. Tried to flip through compatible apps and boom. It was unusable yesterday when I finished hooking up the mic, gps. Tried for 2 hours to make it work including a few calls to Crutchfield. NADA. Removed mic and gps. Same result.
3. park brake over-ride only works sometimes...
4. You have to constantly hit "allow" on the iphone for the pioneer app. it will not retain the setting. highly annoying.
5. One of the Navigation apps that I tried was constantly crashing.

Unacceptable quality from Asia again. Surprise.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingedthinker View Post
1. Randomly reboots to blank screen
2. Apps crashes most of the time. Tried to flip through compatible apps and boom. It was unusable yesterday when I finished hooking up the mic, gps. Tried for 2 hours to make it work including a few calls to Crutchfield. NADA. Removed mic and gps. Same result.
3. park brake over-ride only works sometimes...
4. You have to constantly hit "allow" on the iphone for the pioneer app. it will not retain the setting. highly annoying.
5. One of the Navigation apps that I tried was constantly crashing.

Unacceptable quality from Asia again. Surprise.
That sucks, was considering this unit.

A little confused as to why you call it garbage, a POS and it has unacceptable quality...but then stuck with the same brand?

Have you got the new unit installed yet?

Can I ask why you chose the Metra over the Scosche?
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

quote=Evoto5oh; That sucks, was considering this unit.

A little confused as to why you call it garbage, a POS and it has unacceptable quality...but then stuck with the same brand?

I am in the industry as a QM on several tier 1 automotive projects. I'm qualified to call it a POS. I call my companies software/hardware a POS all the time. Its my job. I wouldn't buy the crap we make, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay my good money for a pre-alpha product.

Because Crutchfield would only swap for the same brand.

Have you got the new unit installed yet?

I just ordered it yesterday.

Can I ask why you chose the Metra over the Scosche?

I researched the product and read lots of reviews on both and because of what I learned and price, I chose the metra.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Apprentice
S197 Member

I think you misunderstand my question. I'm ok with you calling it a POS...no problem at all. But if you feel that Pioneer is a POS, why swap it out for another Pioneer?

Personally, I've never had any issue with any Pioneer car audio products. I'd say the issue is with them trying to marry the car audio with a smartphone...especially one as locked down as the iPhone, it has enough problems on its own.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoto5oh View Post
I think you misunderstand my question. I'm ok with you calling it a POS...no problem at all. But if you feel that Pioneer is a POS, why swap it out for another Pioneer?

Personally, I've never had any issue with any Pioneer car audio products. I'd say the issue is with them trying to marry the car audio with a smartphone...especially one as locked down as the iPhone, it has enough problems on its own.
I answered your question above already:

Because Crutchfield would only swap for the same brand.

I didn't call all of Pioneer's products a POS, just the appradio2. The 4400BH actually reviews quite well. However, we shall see how it works for real once I get my grubby hands on it.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Apprentice
S197 Member

Missed that part, my apologies. You didn't just call the appradio2 a POS...you said "More garbage from China or India" and "Unacceptable quality from Asia again. Surprise.".

That indicates dissatisfaction with the whole brand itself, not just simply one of their products. So I figured my question was valid.

Would you have preferred to swap it for a different brand altogether?
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoto5oh View Post
Missed that part, my apologies. You didn't just call the appradio2 a POS...you said "More garbage from China or India" and "Unacceptable quality from Asia again. Surprise.".

That indicates dissatisfaction with the whole brand itself, not just simply one of their products. So I figured my question was valid.

Would you have preferred to swap it for a different brand altogether?
Dude, I'm trying real hard to be nice here, but I think you should brush up on your reading comprehension skills. The statement started with "I gave up on the POS Pioneer AppRadio2." so I fail to see how your point makes any sense. If I would have said, "I gave up on Pioneer..." then I could understand your point. It's cool though, maybe you are a yankee and naturally slow from all the cold weather up there. :kooky:

"I gave up on the POS Pioneer AppRadio2. More garbage from China or India. I was able to swap it out for a 4400BH through Crutchfield. I have to give them props as it was long past 60 days. Thank you Crutchfield! You earned my business!"

Yes, I would have preferred to switch to Alpine or Kenwood at this point. Doesn't really matter to me so long as the HU works as advertised. I'm not brand loyal for anything that I purchase. Even Fords.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page