Bypassing premium amp, worth it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bypassing premium amp, worth it?

I have a 1995 mustang with premium sound (convertible, non-mach, amp is in dash under stereo), currently has aftermarket head unit and speakers. I'm about to upgrade to a Sony DSX-S100 and I've figured out the wiring harness situation (I'm new to this and the current stereo was installed by previous owner, I did the four speakers myself though) and I'm just wondering, will there be a notable difference if I bypass the factory amp?

I found this plug on ebay to bypass the premium amp, and I verified that the plugs in the amp match up (actually unplugged them to check)
Ford AMP BYPASS ELIMINATOR Wiring HARNESS 95 96 97 | eBay

My current setup is just an old Pioneer DEH-1300 (yes, non-mp)
and it's wired like normal with this Metra 70-5511 (met-705511) Wiring Harness for Select 1989-1994

new head unit itself Sony DSX-S100 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

not only is it worth it but it's mandatory, the Mach 460 uses low ohm speakers and amps/decks, so you can't mix and match stuff that is not directly compatible

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
not only is it worth it but it's mandatory, the Mach 460 uses low ohm speakers and amps/decks, so you can't mix and match stuff that is not directly compatible
Sounds like you didn't read my post.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I've installed the new stereo and everything is working fine like with the pioneer, though I still would like to know if that premium amp is reducing the power sent to the speakers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012
Rookie
2.3L Member

I would remove that amp for space issue if anything else. Im in the process of removing it to accommodate more space for future gauges etc. I however have my radio wired bypassing the harness due to bad stock memory wire. red is run to fan wire running through firewall, memory (yellow) is run with an inline fuse to battery, and ground is grounded to bolt. The amp is bypassed if you run aftermarket speakers so why not just remove it altogether :kooky: hope this helps.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I don't think I'll ever require more space in that area, all I really care about is whether or not the amp is making a notable impact on the sound, although it seems sounds alright now with the amp in.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Believe it or not, your speakers will actually distort if they get too little power. Most aftermarket speakers sound much better with an amplifier, be it original or aftermarket. I would leave it in unless/until you upgrade to an aftermarket amp. I would especially recommend a bigger amp for anything bigger than a 5x7 speaker.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1989 Mustang GT Convertible
- Regatta Blue / Silver / Black Top
- White Leather
2007 Mustang GT Premium *RIP* Death at 20MPH
- Tungsten Metallic
- Black Leather
2018 Mustang GT Base
- Electric Blue
- 6 Speed Manual
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I know that much, but the stock premium amp only puts out 10-20watts rms from what I've read, and it's about 16 years old now, my new head unit puts out 17 watts rms (52 peak).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Ditch it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1989 Mustang GT Convertible
- Regatta Blue / Silver / Black Top
- White Leather
2007 Mustang GT Premium *RIP* Death at 20MPH
- Tungsten Metallic
- Black Leather
2018 Mustang GT Base
- Electric Blue
- 6 Speed Manual
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Buying now then, I'll reply with the results when I get it next week if I remember.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I just installed the bypass harness. It was weird, the square plug was incorrect and I had to modify the factory amp plug by trimming a bit off it as well as widening the holes for the pins. It was rather easy since I was able to just remove the wire from my car and modify the plug with my x-acto knife.

So, results are the sound is much, much better. With the amp in, I would turn the volume to 20/50 and reach the limit before much distortion came it. It was still decently loud, but the bass was really limited. Now with the amp bypassed I can take the volume to 40/50 and use the xplod EQ for some really decent bass. It's really made a huge difference on the low end, and really cleared up the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
premium amp bypass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page