Speaker Question For Those Who... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Speaker Question For Those Who...

have swapped both the front and rear speakers in a Shaker 500 system with the exact same speakers (i.e. all four are same speakers), keeping the volume the same and the station the same, if you change the balance from 100% front to 100% rear do you notice a volume change or any change? I am trying to figure out if the Shaker 500 changes the power and other settings between the front and rears. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
Beast3.7

Just for reference, although the rears are the same physical size, they are rated at 25w peak vs the fronts that are 50w peak. So the rears are just fill speakers as you'd normally expect and won't seem as loud if you fade all the way to the rear. That is also why just switching the fronts has a more dramatic effect over changing all four if you change nothing else.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks. I have Focal's in the front and they sound great. I have very inexpensive Quinn's in the back and they do not sound great and less power. So I was trying to decide if putting the Focal's in the rear would improve the overall sound. Any thoughts, comments, etc on this?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
Beast3.7

I really thought about it but am pretty happy with just the fronts upgraded. Although I like a decent sounding stereo that one change was all I felt I needed. Some people would disagree so I guess you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt. The speakers you hear are up front. I would rather replace the door subs before I replaced the rears.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
AJL
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

The only reason why I put better speakers in the back is because I drive a convert. I really don't think you need them unless you are a audiophile.

2011 Mustang Convertible Kona Blue - FRPP Sport Axleback - Bama 93R - Blackout Panel - Tri-Bar Valve Caps - Airaid CAI - 4x JL Audio C2-570x - Alpine MRP-F300 Amp - Speaker Sound Dampening - 27% tint all around.

In the future: Kona Mirror Covers, Boss 302 Suede Steering Wheel, Possible Mono amp/Sub.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Does anyone have their fader set favoring the rear speakers slightly to balance everything out?

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
Beast3.7

I think the fader will be a little different based on the speakers you end up with. I usually have mine set up with bass to +3, treble +8, fader to +1 rear, balance even. I switch from driver's seat to all speakers depending on the sound I'm looking for.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks, still thinking about it (upgrading rears). As to the bass, I think it is ok (not great bit not too bad, if you don't want a lot of bass) and from what I have read about the upgrades, people haven't been happy, I would probably just do a sub in the trunk, which I hate to give up any space. One of the best feature of the Stang Vert is you can easily put two large golf bags in the trunk with room for some weekend luggage with the top down... try to do that in any sport car, yet alone a vert, and one that is 0-60 in the low 4's! To that end Brembo car's do not have a spare, the audio boys where all over using that space for two 10" subs with amp and signal processor in the wheel well, which would cause me not to loose any trunk space, would be cool and a great set up, but very expensive... if I keep the car long term I may do this... started with front speakers huge improvement, probably do the rears... and so it begins, I want more, more, more
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012
PONY Member

I've replaced my door speakers with Infinity reference 6x8" speakers. They really brought a more "crisp" sound to the front. Mid and High ranges are clear without being sharp and piercing. I also have a 10" pioneer sub in the trunk nestled in the pocket behind the R/H wheel well powered by a rockford fosgate punch amp. It really doesn't take up much room at all and adds just enough of the low sounds to balance it all out.
I honestly haven't changed out the deck speakers.

They do have something of a filter to the rear deck. A lot of the guys who switch to the shelby kicker audio upgrade kit really noticed this (which is the same 6x8 in front as it is in back). The Shaker 500 does limit the power in the back and putting speakers back there that require more power to drive them make them seem like you have to turn the fade more to the rear to get sound out of them.

If you go for the easy to install clean look for a sub in the trunk.... It's the amp and sub as a kit without the rest of the shelby kicker kit.
Kicker Audio 10 Inch Woofer

Just something I noticed, even if you turn the fade all the way to the rear, the same bass level can be heard from the 8" door subs. Just something to think about when you are trying to balance out your system.

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page