Kicker factory audio Sub upgrade - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
12GTBLK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: NOVA
Posts: 396
 
Kicker factory audio Sub upgrade

Anyone heard anything on this being available yet? Saw it in Mustang monthly July issue.

Kicker Factory Audio Upgrade Kits for Ford Mustang | Miscellaneous Blog & Discussions at 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine


2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune
12GTBLK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
Apprentice
 
Imbatman70's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: New haven county
Posts: 101
 
I think it's available now. I saw a post on here with a pic of it installed. I tried to find it but had no luck

Imbatman70 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
Apprentice
 
Imbatman70's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: New haven county
Posts: 101
 
This one? https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...shed-mods.html

Last edited by Imbatman70; 06-13-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Imbatman70 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
12GTBLK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: NOVA
Posts: 396
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbatman70 View Post
Thanks, I just havn't seen where its sold or how much yet. I will keep looking for now

2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune
12GTBLK is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
PONY Member
 
Nightmare37's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hayward
Posts: 616
 
They sell the whole kit on the shelby website.
Sound System

Just the subwoofer/amp/box
Kicker Audio 10 Inch Woofer

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
Nightmare37 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
2013_SterlingGT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: York
Posts: 303
 
Do you think that kit would also fit a 2013 base GT with base stereo? I see the model year doesn't include it.

2013 Mustang GT Base ll Sterling Grey ll Mt-82 ll Track Package ll Ordered 5/21/12 ll Vin 6/22/12 ll Build date 7/16/12 ll ETA 7/21/12 ll ETA#2- 7/27/12 ll Delivered 7/24/2012
2013_SterlingGT is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
PONY Member
 
Nightmare37's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hayward
Posts: 616
 
I honestly can't answer that. I've been interested in it, but I have my own setup in the back.
I do know it's plug and play for the shaker systems, but not sure about the base stereo. I would shoot shelby customer service an e-mail.

How To Install A Shelby/Kicker Stereo Upgrade - Mustang Monthly

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
Nightmare37 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
Rookie
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12
 
I bought the subs for my Shaker 500 system, ended up returning them. The way they're wired into the amps, they only use half the available power. You can barely hear them at all. They're definitely quality drivers, but you really need to use them with aftermarket amps to make it worth it. With the factory Shaker amps, they're a big downgrade over the stock subs.

Also, the bezels are pretty ugly and don't match the aesthetics of the '10+ interior, if that matters to you. If they sounded good with the stock amps, I probably could have overlooked that though.

2010 Mustang GT | 401a | Track Pack
Reza is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012
PONY Member
 
Nightmare37's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hayward
Posts: 616
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
I bought the subs for my Shaker 500 system, ended up returning them. The way they're wired into the amps, they only use half the available power. You can barely hear them at all. They're definitely quality drivers, but you really need to use them with aftermarket amps to make it worth it. With the factory Shaker amps, they're a big downgrade over the stock subs.

Also, the bezels are pretty ugly and don't match the aesthetics of the '10+ interior, if that matters to you. If they sounded good with the stock amps, I probably could have overlooked that though.
Did you have the 10" shelby/kicker trunk sub? It sounds like you only had the door woofers and didn't use the kicker amp meant for the kit. It's kind of the equivalent to buying a turbo and leaving out the wastegate spring, yeah you have a turbo but nothing is spooling it.

The factory 8" woofers do have a dual set of wires going to them, and the shelby/kickers only use one set if you use it with the stock amp...

166,xxx miles
2011 3.7L MT82 Kona Blue GT/CS Pedestal Spoiler, Cervini's HE hood, Stillen chin spoiler, BBK headers, GT T/B, Steeda tune, Ram 9.5 Dual Disc clutch, 3.15 axle T2R Torsen, 285/35/18 w/ Steeda 18"x 9.5"+44mm Q1s, Steeda Sports springs/Koni struts/Viking shocks, Shelby adj front sway bar, Boss302 Rear sway bar, Whiteline Watts Link, 14" "Brembo-ish" brakes and 3/4" front wheel spacers/ARP studs.
Nightmare37 is offline  
PONY Member
 
BLK 5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 392
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
I bought the subs for my Shaker 500 system, ended up returning them. The way they're wired into the amps, they only use half the available power. You can barely hear them at all. They're definitely quality drivers, but you really need to use them with aftermarket amps to make it worth it. With the factory Shaker amps, they're a big downgrade over the stock subs.

Also, the bezels are pretty ugly and don't match the aesthetics of the '10+ interior, if that matters to you. If they sounded good with the stock amps, I probably could have overlooked that though.
What year car do you have? Do you have the sub amps in the door or the later style just above the steering column. I have a shaker 500 system with the later build in a 2011 and installed the shelby (kicker ) door subs and they are quite the upgrade to the stock OEM junk.

I have to agree with your assessment of the sub bezels though, but for me its not a deal breaker.

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

BLK 5.0 is offline  
Rookie
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 5.0 View Post
What year car do you have? Do you have the sub amps in the door or the later style just above the steering column. I have a shaker 500 system with the later build in a 2011 and installed the shelby (kicker ) door subs and they are quite the upgrade to the stock OEM junk.

I have to agree with your assessment of the sub bezels though, but for me its not a deal breaker.
I've got a 2010, with the amps in the dash. My issue with the setup was mainly that Shelby advertised them as a drop in, plug and play solution. As far as I'm concerned, they're not. You really need an external amp.

2010 Mustang GT | 401a | Track Pack
Reza is offline  
RgrRgrTen4
Guest
 
RgrRgrTen4's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
The OP was asking about availability of the Kicker 10" trunk mounted subwoofer, and yes its been available for almost 2 years now. The article in 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords looks like it was recycled from a while back just to remind Mustang owners of this option.

To the OP, check out PointNarf's write-up of his install of the Kicker 10" sub, it's a pretty decent overview: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...b-install.html

Also, like others have mentioned, if you go with the full Shelby Kicker upgrade and replace the 8" door subs you will notice a difference in "boomy" bass inside the car. The factory 8" door subs in the Shaker 500 and 1000 were quite muddy and boomy and quite frankly sounded like crap! The 8" door subs in the Shelby kit definitely tighten the bass but are noticeably quieter (probably due to the 2 to 4ohm change) but all in all are 10 times better quality than the factory paper crap 8 inchers that come stock.

If you decide to go with the Shelby Kicker upgrade kit then I would highly recommend that you pass on the front 6x8's and go with a quality name brand you prefer. The 10" Kicker sub in the trunk is surprisingly adequate for moderate levels of bass -although that's an entirely subjective statement. I bet you'd be pretty happy with it.

I bought mine just to fill the car with a little more bass and was more than happy with the Kicker 10". I also wanted to maintain as much stock radio functionality as possible and this kit totally delivered! Yes, for the same money I could've purchased better components but then I'd have to give up the stock features I wanted to keep.

After nearly 8 months, I'm just as happy now as I was the day I installed the 10" Kicker trunk sub.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
12GTBLK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: NOVA
Posts: 396
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RgrRgrTen4 View Post
The OP was asking about availability of the Kicker 10" trunk mounted subwoofer, and yes its been available for almost 2 years now. The article in 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords looks like it was recycled from a while back just to remind Mustang owners of this option.

To the OP, check out PointNarf's write-up of his install of the Kicker 10" sub, it's a pretty decent overview: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...b-install.html

Also, like others have mentioned, if you go with the full Shelby Kicker upgrade and replace the 8" door subs you will notice a difference in "boomy" bass inside the car. The factory 8" door subs in the Shaker 500 and 1000 were quite muddy and boomy and quite frankly sounded like crap! The 8" door subs in the Shelby kit definitely tighten the bass but are noticeably quieter (probably due to the 2 to 4ohm change) but all in all are 10 times better quality than the factory paper crap 8 inchers that come stock.

If you decide to go with the Shelby Kicker upgrade kit then I would highly recommend that you pass on the front 6x8's and go with a quality name brand you prefer. The 10" Kicker sub in the trunk is surprisingly adequate for moderate levels of bass -although that's an entirely subjective statement. I bet you'd be pretty happy with it.

I bought mine just to fill the car with a little more bass and was more than happy with the Kicker 10". I also wanted to maintain as much stock radio functionality as possible and this kit totally delivered! Yes, for the same money I could've purchased better components but then I'd have to give up the stock features I wanted to keep.

After nearly 8 months, I'm just as happy now as I was the day I installed the 10" Kicker trunk sub.
Thanks bro that is exactly what I was looking for. I just want to add the Trunk amplified sub to add some bass but keep the factory head unit.

Thanks to all for the info

2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune
12GTBLK is offline  
PONY Member
 
Deezul's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ma
Posts: 689
 
In interested in the kicker trunk sub. I've wired plenty of stereos but I'd be lost as to how to wire one in this car.

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
Deezul is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
12GTBLK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: NOVA
Posts: 396
 
I see it is on sale on the Shelby site for $499,,,,is this a good price? This is the only place I can find it.....


2012 GT Premium, BLACK,401A blk/cashmere,3.73,Brembos,Glass Roof,Hood scoop,ped spoiler,C/S dark stainless grill/C/S lower fascia with fogs
Ordered 1/3/11, Vin 4/7/11,Built 4/25/11,Delivered 5/13/11

MODS: ROUSH axlebacks, ROUSH interior trim,ROUSH illuminated door sills,ROUSH CAI, smoked tail, marker lights,decklid blackout, AM louvers,35% tint, Barton short throw shifter/bracket.iTSX tuner with BAMA 93 tune
12GTBLK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1