20 years ago I knew my car stereo who's who. Who makes the good stuff these days?... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012 Thread Starter
Banned

20 years ago I knew my car stereo who's who. Who makes the good stuff these days?...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and really date myself. But the last time I was serious into car audio (early to mid 1990's) a few brands were standouts above the others and I'm wondering if they're still as good as they once were or of the game has changed.

Head Units:
Eclipse and Alpine: Couldn't get better than this. Blaupunkt is another honorable mention. Moving down the scale was Pioneer Elite, Sony ES series, and Kenwood Excelon series (which were all brand spanking new to the game with what they called their high end lines back then).

Amplifiers:
Cream of the Crop were:
Phoenix Gold, Alpine V12 series, PPI Art Series, and Rockford Fosgate Punch series amplifier. PPI and Phoenix Gold being about the cleanest thing running with Alpine V12 and Rockford Punch being more about brute power back then.
Other Honerable mentions were the Lanzar Opti-Drive series and Orion HCCA for being some of the first 1/2 ohm stable stuff to arrive.

Speakers (Components):
MB Quart, Infinity, and Boston Acoustics all competed for top honors here with BA edging out the other two in sound quality despite coming up a little short on power handling sometimes.

Subwoofers:
JL Audio, and OZ if you wanted it to sound good. Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, and in particular Ground Zero if you wanted it to slam your brains out.

Power Conditioning:
For wiring, fuze blocks, stiffing caps, alternators, etc.. there was one name, and Stinger was that name..

So fast forward 20 some-odd years and who are the players today?..

Thanks,
-HD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

kinda the same, JVC, Alpine...it's just that most cars these days come with really good stereos so the swap is not as common..you should hear the Bose system in my Infiniti...like hearing music for the first time again

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
GT Member
Classic Member

Apline type R is about as good as it gets aftermarket wise. my brother had a whole stereo with alpine stuff and it sounded like you were in a movie theater. it was insane good sound at all levels. Expect to pay ~$1500 for a whole stereo set up

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
Rookie

I really like my kenwood subs, but there amps are trash *WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN SOONER!* I would stick to alpines, there not cheap, but they get the job done
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

I know MTX Audio is beastly these days.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6spd - Daily Driver
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
I know MTX Audio is beastly these days.
I was thinking of adding that MTX Thunderform with the built in amp to my Shaker 500 just to give it a little extra oomph.. other than that the factory stereo is tits!

-HD
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012
Rookie
S197 Member

..Blaupunkt was a good name in germany and Becker was even better, but unfortunately Blaupunkt now itīs build in china (like the most stuff) but with cheap pieces and Becker didīnt build radios for the aftermarket anymore.
I have 2 Beckers one in the BMW e34 540 and the other in the e36 328 station wagon and those radios are outstanding.

Vialle liquid propane injection, JLT series II CAI with Brenspeed tune, SCT X3, 3.55 gears, J&M extreme joint lcaīs, Magnaflow axlebacks, FRPP rear end girdle.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012
Apprentice

I've always had good luck with Polk Audio, both at home theater and in car audio, at least for speakers. MTX for sub amps. Alpine for head units.

2013 Ford GT Premium - Deep Impact Blue
Ordered 8/18. Stickered 10/2. Built 10/9. ETA & Delivered 10/23!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012
Apprentice

Good depends on what your ears like and what you are willing to spend.

Lots of the same major players are still there today, but you can really find a lot of quality stuff at all price points.

For my ears, when it comes to speakers, nothing sounds better than Focals. And with Focal you can spend less than $200 or $1,000 or more on a pair depending on what you get from their line. But truth is you will find speakers you are happy with best by listening yourself. Just about ANYTHING is better than the crap that comes from the factory.

The same statement can be made on subs, depends on what you want it to do and how it sounds for your ears as well as how much money your willing to spend.

Alpine and Pioneer are making top notch head units still.

JL Audio, Alpine, Arc Audio, and many others make quality amps. The big with amps is getting "Class D" amps, they are super small, run very cool, and very efficient. Drive lots of power in a tiny package, they can even be mounted upside with no worries about overheating.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Base 3.7 appearance pack

That class "D" info is great, thanks! I'm upgrading my base 12 3.7 soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05730009.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	556.4 KB
ID:	163435  

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\

Last edited by audioAl; 09-09-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: insert pic
Apprentice

ARC, Zapco, Rainbow, DLS, CDT and Morel all make really good stuff for SQ/SQL.
Rookie

The orion hcca series is some top quality stuff. Kinda spendy but the hcca subs have recone kits jus in case u blow it out (if u really can lol) mostly every manufacture of car subwoofers dont offer that option because they see it as a loss of money when the consumer can buy the whole thing over again for full price. Alpine has been stepping it up lately also with there type X stuff. U deff get what u pay for haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page