Tackling Pioneer AppRadio2 HU install... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Tackling Pioneer AppRadio2 HU install...

I could not get any love from my installer this week, so I decided to do the HU install myself. I am already regretting it...its freaking hot. I haven't done car audio stuff in 20 years so I'm a little intimidated too. Read the instructions 3 times and have connected most of the HU wire harness to the PAC RadioPro4 harness/interface (RP4-FD11). I was told this new PAC unit has the steering wheel controls (SWC) and CAN bus interface all in one harness.

To complicate this install, I already had an amp and sub installed. The installer put in a green switch box that appears to convert line level to RCA. I am hoping that I can follow the OEM instructions since it was connected to the OEM HU.

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

I am not sure what to do on the back-up camera. It is going to take a few hours just to run the wire. Plus, I will have to drill a hole in my bumper.

So, there are a few wires that I don't understand. I will post some pics and ask the AFM community to help.

Thank you

:smilie

Marshall

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I was able to get the HU installed today and working. I still have to run the backup camera wire and hook it up to acc and rca. Everything works and my initial thoughts are positive about the HU. Interface is pretty slick. More in depth review later...

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

Do you have any links to removing the factory radio? I just need to know how to remove the center console aroind the shifter with an auto tranny.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog1157 View Post
Do you have any links to removing the factory radio? I just need to know how to remove the center console aroind the shifter with an auto tranny.
I don`t know about the `11+ models, but on the `05-`09 ones- you lift up the arm rest/console lid & there are 2 screws in the rear. You take them out & then you can slide the console back so that you can pry the side covers on the upper console out. It is then pretty straight forward from there to remove the hu

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog1157 View Post
I have an Mt82... so dunno about automatics. It is easy. Pull out, unscrew.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingedthinker View Post
I was able to get the HU installed today and working. I still have to run the backup camera wire and hook it up to acc and rca. Everything works and my initial thoughts are positive about the HU. Interface is pretty slick. More in depth review later...
Nice. Just make sure you keep up on firmware updates for the HU
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccentGlow View Post
Nice. Just make sure you keep up on firmware updates for the HU
see my other threads...I got rid of the pioneer appradio2. Total garbage not ready for market.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ok this is the final update. I wound up giving up on my car audio install skills and the audio express fools and bringing the car back to CAW. The guys there did a great job. The system now offers crystal clear sound, and great response for highs mids lows. Finally.

It turns out that audio express had used three scotch locks on the ground wire at the head unit and they ran the third rca next to the amp positive... Never again will i go to them for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page