Factory 2002 stereo in Fox? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Factory 2002 stereo in Fox?

Hey Im looking for a replacement in my Fox that wiill look good and have a CD player. Is the 2002 and such stang stereo big enough to fill the double din gap in my 88 Fox? I hate the look of most of the aftermarket double dins, they are frigggin ugly, and I hate the cheesy look of those installation kits too. Also if it would fit, it has a internal 6 cd changer, and my wires have been chopped, although Im assuming Ford has since changed the way their wiring harnesses plug into their stock stereos, but what Im getting it is how could I get the factory plugs which will plug into the 2002 stereo? wiring them up is no biggie, but I think finding those plugs would be...thanks guys

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to sxrpGT
I have an aftermarket CD player in mine. i put a 2001 explorer stereo in it and it filledl both dins, just didnt fit the vehicle in the looks department. So I tossed it and got just and sftermarket single din cd player and put it in. i even put the little coin holder thingy back in under the Cd player It looks clean.

Ford has since changed their wiring as I found out with the explorer stereo. Go to a audio company, a small place that installs stereo equipment and tell them you need the wiring harness for a 2002 mustang stereo, and they should be able to give you one for about 10-20 dollars. just make sure it comes with a color decoder so you know what wire does what as to avoid wiring it up incorrectly and blowing the 2002's internal amp.

Drew

If I take cars and hot girls with money and add them to my life, I have found the key to happiness!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Yeah, Im pretty excited about htis actually, i think itll be a nice little project for me. Im thinkin that Ill add some Mach 460 amps, or maybe some aftermarket amps if I can dig up the money, and then Im gonna add my sub and all of that once I get my new one and my new amp.

Does anybody know if that 2002 stereo will be capable of runnig an aftermarket amp? i mean will I have to get some kind of special connectors or something? Mainly Im thinking of the RCA cables...??

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Wouldnt see why it can't. We installed 2 10 subs and an amp in my friend's 2000 Z71 and it still has the stock stereo. And it HITS HARD!!!! It can be done though.

Drew

If I take cars and hot girls with money and add them to my life, I have found the key to happiness!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Thanks for replying I think you and me are the only ones that looked in Audio/Electronics for weeks!!!

Seriously though, how did you guys do the RCA cables? Was there an actual RCA output on the back of the deck or what??? I have zero experience with stock decks and adding stuff on, because Ive always just gone aftermarket, but I think this will be worth it, the only thing is it wont have is an mp3 player... thanks again

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I cant remember off the top of my head. Ill look at it this weekend and give you a definite answer.
No problem glad to help out, I have been there and if I would have had some help i probably wouldnt have fried an amp b/c of the wiring diagram being incorrect. \

Drew

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Depending on the amp you select, you have two options for amp-radio
interface. You can route the radio's speaker leads to the high-level inputs
(usually screws) on the amp, OR, you can get one of those little gizmos that
hooks up to the radio's speaker leads converts the signal to line-level. The
gizmo then connects to your amp via RCA cables - IMO, this is the best way if
your radio has no RCA line-level outputs. When you get the radio you're gonna
use, (if it's single DIN) you can get the factory bezel and see if you can make it
fit. If you can cut the plastic cleanly, it should look pretty sweet.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Yeah youre right I forgot about the high level inputs... Awesome thanks guys!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004
PONY Member
5.0L Member

We used a frequency converter( not sure of the technical name). It is a little box that hooks into your stock system to allow for add on ons such as subs and stuff. It comes with instructions on how to wire it up. Pretty easy to do.

Drew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page