New Stereo or Amp? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

New Stereo or Amp?

I recently took the rear speakers out and put in some alpine 6x9 speakers. Yes i know 6x9 speakers arent the best but it was a gift. All i had to do were drill new screw holes and leave the speaker "suspended" in the air a little so the cone wouldnt hit the metal during big bass moments. Anyways, these speakers have a max watt output of 260, with a 85watt rms. I know the stereo cant be putting out over 100 watts at all. So would it be better for me to get an amplifier or just get a higher watt output stereo to match the speakers for best sound?

P.S- I will also be getting some new door speakers soon, therefore the new stereo/amp wont be overpowering the measly 25watt output of the stock speakers.

EDIT: If you guys know of any good bass speakers that are 5x7 for the front please recommend them .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang-lover05 View Post
I recently took the rear speakers out and put in some alpine 6x9 speakers. Yes i know 6x9 speakers arent the best but it was a gift. All i had to do were drill new screw holes and leave the speaker "suspended" in the air a little so the cone wouldnt hit the metal during big bass moments. Anyways, these speakers have a max watt output of 260, with a 85watt rms. I know the stereo cant be putting out over 100 watts at all. So would it be better for me to get an amplifier or just get a higher watt output stereo to match the speakers for best sound?

P.S- I will also be getting some new door speakers soon, therefore the new stereo/amp wont be overpowering the measly 25watt output of the stock speakers.

EDIT: If you guys know of any good bass speakers that are 5x7 for the front please recommend them .
You most likely need an amp no matter what you do. No way will any stereo put out anywhere close to 85RMS

2003 Redfire V6 Auto
-Show: Black Rocker Stripes, Matte Black Fender Stripes, Matte Black Custom Decklid Blackout/Stripe, Smoked Tails, Custom Cut Hood Vinyl, 100 Watt Sound Ordinance Powered 8" Sub-
-Go: AM CAI-

Yea... thats it
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Agreed. An amp, even a 2-400 watt amp will be necessary especially if you are going to replace the door speakers. You should be able to get a small amp for a good price (try to avoid pawn shops no matter how cheap they are). I would also suggest putting in a fuse somewhere between the hood and the amp. I've seen people make all kinds of wiring mistakes that caused damage that would have been preventable by using a fuse.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah that's what i was thinking. I'm pretty experienced with wiring electrical circuits but i am clueless when it comes to amplifiers. I honestly have no clue how to install an amp haha.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang-lover05 View Post
Yeah that's what i was thinking. I'm pretty experienced with wiring electrical circuits but i am clueless when it comes to amplifiers. I honestly have no clue how to install an amp haha.
install amplifier at Crutchfield.com

Check out these articles and videos, if you have a decent wiring kit its pretty idiot-proof lol. If you can shell out the cash, this site has awesome stuff, i got my headunit, powered sub, and speakers from them. They like to kick in alot of free stuff so you may get the wiring kit for free with an amp

2003 Redfire V6 Auto
-Show: Black Rocker Stripes, Matte Black Fender Stripes, Matte Black Custom Decklid Blackout/Stripe, Smoked Tails, Custom Cut Hood Vinyl, 100 Watt Sound Ordinance Powered 8" Sub-

Yea... thats it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member

This

Alpine KTP-445U "Power Pack" Upgrade any car radio to 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com

right here! lol easy solution for what you're looking for

2003 Redfire V6 Auto

Yea... thats it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpriest21 View Post
This

Alpine KTP-445U "Power Pack" Upgrade any car radio to 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com

right here! lol easy solution for what you're looking for
That thing is sweet! A quick and dirty way of kicking out more power, especially helpful for people with stock head units and aftermarket speakers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
SheizaSoSay

If you have a shaker, Shelby has a plug and play amp.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012
PONY Member

If you have the shaker 500/1000 and the door subs, than skip putting an amp on your speakers. I've got 2x amps in mine currently. A 4 channel amp for the speakers, and a 2 channel amp for the door subs, and I notice no change over no amp on the speakers. The only reason I even have it in there is because it was free. I've been tempted to take one of them out and put it in my truck as it doesn't have subs. (yet.) That or get a shaker 1000 box and hook up some bigger subs in the trunk. Decisions decisions.

As for companies, I've always been a fan of Pioneer products, with a hatred for Sony car products. I think Kicker is overrated, but is still a decent product.

07 Mustang GT Metallic Alloy.
FRPP CAI. SLP Loudmouths.
Roush Front Bumper w/ chin spoiler, Roush Hood scoop, Scott Drake Hood pins, Roush 1/4 window louvers, Billet fuel door.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH08 View Post
If you have the shaker 500/1000 and the door subs, than skip putting an amp on your speakers. I've got 2x amps in mine currently. A 4 channel amp for the speakers, and a 2 channel amp for the door subs, and I notice no change over no amp on the speakers. The only reason I even have it in there is because it was free. I've been tempted to take one of them out and put it in my truck as it doesn't have subs. (yet.) That or get a shaker 1000 box and hook up some bigger subs in the trunk. Decisions decisions.

As for companies, I've always been a fan of Pioneer products, with a hatred for Sony car products. I think Kicker is overrated, but is still a decent product.
Did you change out the speakers or just amp the factory speakers? After lookin at my shaker 500 speakers I couldn't imagine any more sound being mustered out of them. To get a real performance boost from an amp youd have to change out the speakers to something that can take the added power.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, and i replaced the factory speakers.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletvw View Post
Did you change out the speakers or just amp the factory speakers? After lookin at my shaker 500 speakers I couldn't imagine any more sound being mustered out of them. To get a real performance boost from an amp youd have to change out the speakers to something that can take the added power.

All speakers, and the head unit have been replaced. I actually enjoyed the factory Shaker 500 system more, but this system came with the car. It also came with a horrible wiring job that took me 2 days to fix, but that's half the fun in owning a mustang, tinkering with it!

I can get plenty of power out of this system, but it just never seems to "balance" out the way I like it. I can set it up great if I'm in a heavy metal mood, but if i'm stuck with one of my friends (that has a really nice rack) that likes techno, country, or something else then the settings go to crap. I might also note that i'm extremely fussy and picky.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd pick up a factory shaker 500/1000 Head unit, and upgrade the rest to shelby's stereo system.

07 Mustang GT Metallic Alloy.
FRPP CAI. SLP Loudmouths.
Roush Front Bumper w/ chin spoiler, Roush Hood scoop, Scott Drake Hood pins, Roush 1/4 window louvers, Billet fuel door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page