8 inch speakers in 2012 base gt doors??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

8 inch speakers in 2012 base gt doors???

I've always installed my own systems but I was lazy with this car. I did install my Pioneer double din and Scosche dash conversion myself but had my buddies shop install my kicker 6x8s front and rear, DbDrive 760x4, kicker solobaric L7 12 inch sub, custom box, and Kicker 750 rms mono block amp. Stereo sounds amazing, can crank it way higher than you'll ever listen to it with no audible distortion, the sub shakes the car to pieces if I crank my bass knob up, and the screen works flawlessly. But I just want a little mid range bass up front that the 6x8s lack. The solobaric kicks in below around 200hz it seems but I need something in the middle range there.

Now here's the question. Does the metal door behind the panels have a 8 inch hole to mount the factory 8s from a premium? Just curious to if I could trim some 8 inch holes in the door panel, then mount some quality 8s there. I have plenty of room on the amp. Don't really want to cut into the metal part of the door if there isn't a hole. How are the factory 8s mounted in the premium?

2012 Base GT/MT-82/3.73 KONA BLUE
JLT INTAKE/AED TUNE/PYPES A/B
CUSTOM 3 INCH MIDPIPES/DYNAFLO ULTRAFLO X MUFFLER/NO CATS
J&M CONTROL ARMS/ADJUSTABLE PANHARD/FORD K SPRINGS
KICKER SOLOBARIC L7 12"SUB/KICKER 750X1
4 KICKER 6X8s/dbDRIVE 1000X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012
GT Member

Been wanting to know this myself for a while. My 3.73's are next but after that i aint doing shat performance wise to the car until i get my blower in the spring. Sound will come after the gears so i hope someone can shed some light on this subject

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012
Rookie

Yes and no, it's a two-part answer.

The 8" subwoofers from the Premium Package go in the doors, but the door panels actually have subwoofer enclosures (a waveguide kind of thing), so it makes it a sealed enclosure. In other words, the sub never goes into the door, it just sits inside the door panel. You could just swap door panels and put shallow-mount 8" subs in.

Second part of the answer -- yes, there is room in the doors. You would have to cut your base model door panels, or get the Premium Package door panels with the holes cut already (and cut out the back side of the panel), and then there is plenty of room.

The issue with that is that you will then be running the subs in free air mode, so you (a) have to run less power and (b) have to find a sub that can run in free air mode. So you won't have as good of bass as you would with a sub in a box. You can make custom boxes for the door subs out of fiberglass, but that gets time consuming and kind of expensive.

I checked into this because I have a base model and wanted to do the same thing. For the custom work, you're looking at about $500-600 for the fiberglass boxes, $75ish for the sub install, $50-75 for the amp install, and the cost of the subs and amp. So realistically, it would cost you about $1200-1500 to do this. Way cheaper/easier/better sound to just throw some subs in the trunk.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yeah I already have the scosche dash kit, pioneer 7 inch screen, Kicker solobaric L7 12 running off a kicker 1500 watt mono amp, and 4 Kicker 6x8s running off a 1000x4 amp. Was just looking for a little midrange thump....But I tuned my amp to add a little to the 6x8s and it cured the problem. Sounds great...

2012 Base GT/MT-82/3.73 KONA BLUE
JLT INTAKE/AED TUNE/PYPES A/B
CUSTOM 3 INCH MIDPIPES/DYNAFLO ULTRAFLO X MUFFLER/NO CATS
J&M CONTROL ARMS/ADJUSTABLE PANHARD/FORD K SPRINGS
KICKER SOLOBARIC L7 12"SUB/KICKER 750X1
4 KICKER 6X8s/dbDRIVE 1000X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page