2011-2014 Mustang (base) speaker replacement procedure. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

So is everyone's bass coming through the seats well or do you have to put a seat down to hear it well? Also I suppose trying to install 8" subs in the doors of a base GT would be a pretty involved install.
For those who installed component fronts, where did you put the tweeters?

2013 GT TrackPack Sterling Grey ordered 29 May 12
Build Date 14 August
ETA 19 August 2nd ETA 26 August
arrived 20 August
FRPP ProCal tune, GT 500 spoiler and axelbacks, dealer installed leather, clear bra, tinted windows. Koni Yellow shocks and struts and Steeda Sport springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13Cat View Post
So is everyone's bass coming through the seats well or do you have to put a seat down to hear it well? Also I suppose trying to install 8" subs in the doors of a base GT would be a pretty involved install.
For those who installed component fronts, where did you put the tweeters?
I'm not sure what you are asking?

If your asking about those of us who have a sub in our trunk, well my sub shakes the car and hits hard for what it is.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
Apprentice

I've got a 12" JL with 300watt alpine amp in the trunk of my accord and I lose a lot of sound through the seat. I have to open the portal door in the seatrest to get decent bass. That's why I was asking about doing two 8" woofers in doors and skip the trunk sub.

2013 GT TrackPack Sterling Grey ordered 29 May 12
Build Date 14 August
ETA 19 August 2nd ETA 26 August
arrived 20 August
FRPP ProCal tune, GT 500 spoiler and axelbacks, dealer installed leather, clear bra, tinted windows. Koni Yellow shocks and struts and Steeda Sport springs.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13Cat View Post
I've got a 12" JL with 300watt alpine amp in the trunk of my accord and I lose a lot of sound through the seat. I have to open the portal door in the seatrest to get decent bass. That's why I was asking about doing two 8" woofers in doors and skip the trunk sub.
From what I've read, a 12" sub in the trunk should be plenty loud throughout the cabin. I don't know if your accord had some sort of special lining between the trunk and the backseat, but the fact that you couldn't hear it very well is strange, the accord is not that big of a car.

My friend has a 12" in the trunk of his civic and it's more than loud enough. I realize the civic is a bit smaller than your accord was, but not enough to make much of a difference. You sure your sub in your accord wasn't broken?

2013 DIB 3.7L | 6AT | Performance Package | Tech Package |
Bama 91R | Airaid CAI | Flowmaster Force II Axlebacks |
Pioneer TSD's | Amp & 10" JBL sub |
GT Member

I'm running a 12" Pioneer Sub in my trunk. It won't shatter windows, but it does enough to massage my back while driving and its powered by an Alpine amp.

I think that's plenty of sub...

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post
And if you think that sounds good, try changing the front 5X7s to a component speaker system with a 5.25" woofer and a 1.75" tweeter. HUGE improvement in sound quality.

But virtually anything will sound better than the cheap Chinese paper speakers that Ford uses. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for using such a cheap and crappy sound system. Even my old 98 Honda Civic had a better base model stereo than the Mustang.
Hey, I have a component system with 5.25"'s and tweeters that I want to install too, where did you install the tweeters?

I'm trying to find a way to install the tweeters in the door without having to cut any of the trim on the inside of the car.

Also, what conversion bracket did you use?

Thanks
Apprentice
S197 Member

Bump to say "thank you" to the OP, I referenced this thread today when installing some Kicker 6x8's in my front doors today.
Install was a breeze, I did miss one of those Torx screws initially too.

Barely an hour start to finish, thanks!

2013 Boss 302 #974
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam i am View Post
Bump to say "thank you" to the OP, I referenced this thread today when installing some Kicker 6x8's in my front doors today.
Install was a breeze, I did miss one of those Torx screws initially too.

Barely an hour start to finish, thanks!
^I agree^ Thanks to the OP for the great writeup.
Sam, how do the Kickers sound compared to the "picnic" paper originals. This is one of the few mods that I want to do to my car. I was going to buy the new Kenwood hu that supports Sync, but I`m not sure I want to spend almost $1000 for it. I`m hoping that a speaker upgrade will satisfy my "tin" ears

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Apprentice
S197 Member

I didn't crank it up too loud yesterday, but they sounded much cleaner and crisp than the stockers. I took the kids to Dredd and dinner in the car, so I took it easy on them.

Btw- They were on sale in the store for $74.99, so I was under $100 with tax and the Metra kit.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...&skuId=1671453

2013 Boss 302 #974
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam i am View Post
I didn't crank it up too loud yesterday, but they sounded much cleaner and crisp than the stockers. I took the kids to Dredd and dinner in the car, so I took it easy on them.

Btw- They were on sale in the store for $74.99, so I was under $100 with tax and the Metra kit.
Kicker - KS 6" x 8" 2-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) - KS68
Thanks. I just looked them up & they went back up to $99. They claim to have all Polk speakers on sale today, so I`ll go have a look. It will give me an excuse to put the top down.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
PONY Member

To the OP (and others), just as an FYI, from the looks of it you wired your speakers with the reverse polarity. Those Metra harnesses (72-5600) are wired the exact opposite way that they're supposed to be. I would recommend picking up a set of adapters from Crutchfield instead. They're basically the same price, but the difference is that your speakers will be in phase and you'll have more mids/lows (within limits of what the stock amp can support). For reference, this is the difference between the Metra adapters and the Crutchfield adapters. Please excuse the typo within the picture

I originally bought the Metra adapters (72-5600), but when I changed them out for Crutchfield's, the sound difference was huge.

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim2013 View Post
To the OP (and others), just as an FYI, from the looks of it you wired your speakers with the reverse polarity. Those Metra harnesses (72-5600) are wired the exact opposite way that they're supposed to be. I would recommend picking up a set of adapters from Crutchfield instead. They're basically the same price, but the difference is that your speakers will be in phase and you'll have more mids/lows (within limits of what the stock amp can support). For reference, this is the difference between the Metra adapters and the Crutchfield adapters. Please excuse the typo within the picture

I originally bought the Metra adapters (72-5600), but when I changed them out for Crutchfield's, the sound difference was huge.
God Bless you...... Ripping door panels back apart.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Apprentice
S197 Member

KenV- They are $99 online, but when I went into the store, they were cheaper there.

Grim-DOH! Looks like another hour in the garage.
Thanks for the heads up.

2013 Boss 302 #974
PONY Member

For everyone that doesn't want to pay for a new harness, I just cut the end female spade connectors off, bought new spade adapters from radioshack for like $1, stripped the ends of the wires, and crimped the new spade adapters on, in reverse order. Worked great.

2013 DIB 3.7L | 6AT | Performance Package | Tech Package |
Bama 91R | Airaid CAI | Flowmaster Force II Axlebacks |
Pioneer TSD's | Amp & 10" JBL sub |
Apprentice
4.6L Member

So you guys are saying that if I hooked the metra harnesses up correctly(by their labeling of the wires) that they are in fact backwards? I just installed a pair of infinity's with an external crossover so I had to cut the connectors off anyway and plug them into the crossover. So I'll need to go back and cross the wires now? Metra's positive wire should hook up to the negative terminal?

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page