2011-2014 Mustang (base) speaker replacement procedure. - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxbrad View Post
So you guys are saying that if I hooked the metra harnesses up correctly(by their labeling of the wires) that they are in fact backwards? I just installed a pair of infinity's with an external crossover so I had to cut the connectors off anyway and plug them into the crossover. So I'll need to go back and cross the wires now? Metra's positive wire should hook up to the negative terminal?
Assuming you have the same metra harness that Grim posted earlier, then yes.

One important thing to mention, that should have been mentioned at the beginning: If you replaced all 4 speakers, as long as you did them all the same way, you're fine. There is no "correct/backwards" way, you just need all the speakers to be the same, otherwise they will be "out of phase" with eachother. So this affects the people who just replaced the front two speakers. If you have that same metra adapter, your front speakers will be out of phase with your rear.

2013 DIB 3.7L | 6AT | Performance Package | Tech Package |
Bama 91R | Airaid CAI | Flowmaster Force II Axlebacks |
Pioneer TSD's | Amp & 10" JBL sub |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1llz View Post
Assuming you have the same metra harness that Grim posted earlier, then yes.

One important thing to mention, that should have been mentioned at the beginning: If you replaced all 4 speakers, as long as you did them all the same way, you're fine. There is no "correct/backwards" way, you just need all the speakers to be the same, otherwise they will be "out of phase" with eachother. So this affects the people who just replaced the front two speakers. If you have that same metra adapter, your front speakers will be out of phase with your rear.
Gotcha. Did just the fronts for now, and the harnesses I got we're the ones from amazon when I got the speakers. I just looked and couldn't find the part number on the page? Mine are the ones listed for '98 and above ford etc vehicles. I did see a link for 'similar items' that had the connecter with the part# listed above. I guess I'll just have to try and find out. They do look the same, but idk.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Too late to edit my previous post, but just for confirmation... In this picture, for the polarity to be correct, the white wire would be on top correct? And does it make any difference in a 2010 vs 2011+? All the wiring in this regard would be the same, yes?

PONY Member

Quote:
Too late to edit my previous post, but just for confirmation... In this picture, for the polarity to be correct, the white wire would be on top correct? And does it make any difference in a 2010 vs 2011+? All the wiring in this regard would be the same, yes?
I'm not sure which is top and bottom while it is plugged in, you would have to take a picture of it while it isn't plugged in.

Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1llz View Post
I'm not sure which is top and bottom while it is plugged in, you would have to take a picture of it while it isn't plugged in.
Well, I was just going by his pic from above

On the bottom connecter(the one labeled incorrect), the white wire is in the top of the harness, where as the pic I put in my last post shows the black wire in the top part of the harness. Sorry for all the questions. Just not too savvy with wiring all this stuff. Lol

PONY Member

Quote:
Well, I was just going by his pic from above

On the bottom connecter(the one labeled incorrect), the white wire is in the top of the harness, where as the pic I put in my last post shows the black wire in the top part of the harness. Sorry for all the questions. Just not too savvy with wiring all this stuff. Lol
My point was I couldn't tell if, when plugged in, the top is still the top and the bottom is still the bottom. Depending on where the notches are I couldn't remember if the top stays the top after plugging it in.

Apprentice
4.6L Member

Okay, I see what you're saying. Guess ill be pulling these door panels again this week.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam i am View Post
KenV- They are $99 online, but when I went into the store, they were cheaper there.

Grim-DOH! Looks like another hour in the garage.
Thanks for the heads up.
I found Pioneer TS-A6874R at Best Buy & they dropped right in As a matter of fact they state on the box & speaker "custom fit for Ford,Nissan,Mazda" I thought they sound great, but now with this Metra info, I`ll have to take everything apart again also.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Apprentice
V6 Member

Thumbs up Thank you...

Thanks to ace72ace for posting all of this.

Bill Tidler
I was born in Ohio but I moved to Indiana as soon as I heard about it.
~Herb Shriner
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I just installed a woofer in the 8" door spot & the woofer DIDN'T have polarity printed on it!

I found correct polarity by an old trick... tape a speaker wire to a AAA battery, pay attention to which wire is +/-. When you touch the +wire of the battery to the +terminal of the speaker, the cone will push out, away from the magnet.

SEARCHING FOR A NEW MUSTANG!!!!!!

Last Mustang - 2012 Kona Blue/Stone Top-Interior V6/AT convertible. Panavise Phone Mount.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joihan777 View Post
I just installed a woofer in the 8" door spot & the woofer DIDN'T have polarity printed on it!

I found correct polarity by an old trick... tape a speaker wire to a AAA battery, pay attention to which wire is +/-. When you touch the +wire of the battery to the +terminal of the speaker, the cone will push out, away from the magnet.
This is actually how I found out for sure that the Metra harnesses were the incorrect polarity. I did the battery/speaker test and matched it up to the harness.

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim2013 View Post
To the OP (and others), just as an FYI, from the looks of it you wired your speakers with the reverse polarity. Those Metra harnesses (72-5600) are wired the exact opposite way that they're supposed to be. I would recommend picking up a set of adapters from Crutchfield instead. They're basically the same price, but the difference is that your speakers will be in phase and you'll have more mids/lows (within limits of what the stock amp can support). For reference, this is the difference between the Metra adapters and the Crutchfield adapters. Please excuse the typo within the picture

I originally bought the Metra adapters (72-5600), but when I changed them out for Crutchfield's, the sound difference was huge.
You are so right. I replaced the front door speakers in my 2013 base V6 today using a pair of Pioneer 3 way speakers and the Meta wire harness. When I first hooked up the new speakers they sounded OK but not as good as I was expecting. Then I remembered reading about the Meta's possible polarity reversal. I took the harnesses off and cut the wires and spliced them in reverse, hooked the speakers back up.... What a diff, like night and day. CDs sound really good now.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Rookie

I too was saddened by how poor the base stereo sounds, but wasn't too thrilled to pay for a dash kit to install an aftermarket head unit.

So I bought myself some xmas presents from sonic electronix and will be installing them tomorrow (providing I can find a line output converter locally, bought a 5ch amp that takes speaker level inputs but not for the sub channel)

Here's what I went with:

Power Acoustik GT5-2500 2500W Max, 5-Channel Gothic Series Car Amp

Kenwood KFC-C6894PS 6" x 8" 3-Way Performance Coaxial Car Speakers

e2 ECAP1 1.0 Farad Digital Capacitor - Sonic Electronix

Alpine SWS-10D4 (sws10d44) 10" Dual 4-Ohm Type-S Series Car Subwoofer

Also picked up a cheap sealed box (I listen to mostly metal, so I don't want/need the booming bass of a ported box) And yes I know the amp is junk, but I was doing the upgrade on a budget :/ Unfortunately I bought the metra connector harness as well, oh well, easy fix.

Will hopefully post how it went and any tips/hints I might have figured out along the way. OP will definitely help with removing my door trim without wrecking it. Thanks Ace72Ace!
Apprentice

Has anyone had experience with this? I'd like to replace my stock speakers yet keep the stock radio.Helix PP50DSP Plug and Play digital signal processor with built-in 5-channel amplifier at Crutchfield.com

2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium w/pony package, Magnaflow Street axle-backs, LED license plate light, LED interior lights, Strip LED trunk lights, MMD Hood struts, SCT X4 Tuner with Steeda tunes for life, Boss 302 strut tower brace, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2013 View Post
Has anyone had experience with this? I'd like to replace my stock speakers yet keep the stock radio.Helix PP50DSP Plug and Play digital signal processor with built-in 5-channel amplifier at Crutchfield.com

That looks like it will work nice. I did something similar, added a 5 channel amp, 4 new speakers and a sub in the trunk. Kept my factory head unit, so it looks clean, and like its stock. Out of sight, out of mind when I go downtown.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2610234

If that is the amp/processor you want, you might do a search of its part number on Google. Crutchfield always gets beat on price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page