2011-2014 Mustang (base) speaker replacement procedure. - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

The metra harness on amazon shows the correct configuration...

Amazon.com: Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles: Electronics

I need to check it when I get home. I haven't installed my new speakers yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Well I checked my harness and sure enough, it's backwards. I'm going to let the amazon know that they are not selling the product as pictured.

PONY Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about the error in the detail page forMetra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles. We use many sources to build our website information, and we really appreciate knowing about any errors which find their way into our catalog. I'll notify our catalog team about this and will ask them to correct the error. They'll verify the accuracy of new information from multiple sources and you'll see the change in 5-7 business days.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters.

Rookie

It looks like the Metra adapter sold by Amazon has the polarity corrected now? See current Amazon pic.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
It looks like the Metra adapter sold by Amazon has the polarity corrected now? See current Amazon pic.

What do you think about my installation using metra.. I follow the + mark on the tweeter...

Am I rigth?

Installed new front speakers - Page 15 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

:?:
Rookie

You guys do know that the polarity on the speakers doesn't matter as long as both speakers are wired the same way right?

By this I mean, if the positive and negative are wired "backwards" (because that's the way the speaker adapters came), as long as both the left and right sides are wired the same (which they would be if both wiring adapters for the left and right are the same), they won't be out of phase and it won't matter.

If, on the other hand, the speaker on the left is wired one way, and the one on the right is wired opposite, they will be out of phase (one speaker will drive outwards, while the other is going inwards), and one side will partially cancel the other out.

Does anyone know if the original speakers are 2 ohms or 4 ohms? If the originals are 2 ohms and you are replacing them with 4 ohm speakers, the stock amp will only be able to drive roughly half the wattage into the 4ohm speakers. That will definitely affect the volume you can get out of them. It doesn't mean the stock amp is terribly weak, it's just not designed to drive 4 ohm speakers.

Has anyone tried running new wiring into the doors (through the existing conduit and connector)? I'd love to run new wire all the way to the door speakers, but I'm a bit worried about the amount of trouble running wires could be.
Rookie

I read through this thread and have some questions.

I have a 2013 Mustang GT coupe with the base stereo. I want to put a sub beneath each of the rear seats and an amp somewhere. I WANT to retain the stock headunit as replaing that, well Id have to purchase the 220$ kit just to be able to replace the headunit....

SO could I simply replace the headunit hardware with that of one from a shaker 500? I found one one ebay for 170$.
Ford Mustang Shaker 500 2010 2011 2012 2013 Radio CD Player AR3T 19C158 Al | eBay

I wouldnt mind replacing the door speakers, either but I preferred to retain my stock headunit. If I manage to put the subs beneath my rear seats would it be a waste with the stock headunit?

I want to hopefully put the subs there as they won't take up any existing space, I got the idea after re-upholstering my seats with oem 2012 gt500 seats and I saw all that unused space under the rear seats.

Thanks
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias2050 View Post
I read through this thread and have some questions.

I have a 2013 Mustang GT coupe with the base stereo. I want to put a sub beneath each of the rear seats and an amp somewhere. I WANT to retain the stock headunit as replaing that, well Id have to purchase the 220$ kit just to be able to replace the headunit....

SO could I simply replace the headunit hardware with that of one from a shaker 500? I found one one ebay for 170$.
Ford Mustang Shaker 500 2010 2011 2012 2013 Radio CD Player AR3T 19C158 Al | eBay

I wouldnt mind replacing the door speakers, either but I preferred to retain my stock headunit. If I manage to put the subs beneath my rear seats would it be a waste with the stock headunit?

I want to hopefully put the subs there as they won't take up any existing space, I got the idea after re-upholstering my seats with oem 2012 gt500 seats and I saw all that unused space under the rear seats.

Thanks
Your BEST bet is to contact Ron at United Audio - the company charged with configuring at the 0s and 1s level Ford's head unit systems from baseline systems to their Navigation units.

After a detailed discussion that originally centered on adding an OE trunk-mounted sub, I learned a great deal. Firstly, much about the vehicle, its features, and especially having to do with SYNC must be programmed into the head unit before simply swapping them.

Secondly, depending upon which version of which system with which add-ons, you may have different combinations of amps, drivers and speakers to work with - not to mention DSP software (be it for the good or bad), tuned to the vehicle cabin.

A lot of people who've swapped their Shaker trunk subs for units like the Shelby Kicker, believing it was "plug and play" like Shelby advertised were in for rude awakenings, as such units effectively tap the audio lead from one of the door subs and just give "more" from the trunk rather than being part of a holistically-engineered audio solution.

I'm not implying a hodgepodge of good quality components won't sound better than Ford's so-called premium Kicker Pro system with a trunk mounted sub. But, especially as you get into talking about swapping head units to boot, even with Ford-specific units made for Mustang, the process may be MUCH more involved to get the optimal result.

2013 GT500 Coupe Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package SVT Track Package Glass Roof Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2013 GT500 Convertible Performance White Race Red Stripes SVT Performance Package Electronics Package Recaro Seats Shaker Pro Car Cover

2012 BOSS 302 Race Red White "C" Stripe Recaro Seats and Torsen Helical Differential BOSS 302 Car Cover
Rookie

Excellent write up guys! It made installing my door speakers really easy. However, if you have a '13 Premium, you will need the front door speaker spacers from a '11 or '12 Mustang. The '13 has a modular component set up which can't be used with aftermarket speakers. The Ford part nbrs for the spacers are;
4R3Z18B947AA - Right Side Door
4R3Z18B947BA - Left Side (Driver) Door
Less than $30 shipped From Tousley Ford.

Also, check out Crutchfield for the Infinity Reference speakers 6832cf. Very competitive pricing, free shipping and free speaker wire adapter (correct polarity). Good luck!

2013 Mustang GT Convertible Premium. Black on black. Borla Touring Catback exhaust. MGW shifter. Ford 19" Machined Aluminum rims with black painted windows. GT Convertible Package 6.
PONY Member

Great write up, had my new polks installed under an hour. This wouldn't have happened without this sticky. Someone make a bazooka tube write up!

2014 F-150 STX Sport SCab - Stock

1967 Coupe 306 roller block, E303 cam X302 heads, Crane 1.7RR, T5, 8.8 rear 3.73, CSRP Power discs
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjense View Post
Excellent write up guys! It made installing my door speakers really easy. However, if you have a '13 Premium, you will need the front door speaker spacers from a '11 or '12 Mustang. The '13 has a modular component set up which can't be used with aftermarket speakers. The Ford part nbrs for the spacers are;
4R3Z18B947AA - Right Side Door
4R3Z18B947BA - Left Side (Driver) Door
Less than $30 shipped From Tousley Ford.

Also, check out Crutchfield for the Infinity Reference speakers 6832cf. Very competitive pricing, free shipping and free speaker wire adapter (correct polarity). Good luck!
When I went to Tousley's website, those part numbers are for 2010 spacers. Are these still correct for aftermarket speakers in a 13/14 GT Premium?

2014 GT Premium, Grabber Blue, 6AT, glass roof, comfort package. Mods to follow shortly...
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim2013 View Post
To the OP (and others), just as an FYI, from the looks of it you wired your speakers with the reverse polarity. Those Metra harnesses (72-5600) are wired the exact opposite way that they're supposed to be. I would recommend picking up a set of adapters from Crutchfield instead. They're basically the same price, but the difference is that your speakers will be in phase and you'll have more mids/lows (within limits of what the stock amp can support). For reference, this is the difference between the Metra adapters and the Crutchfield adapters. Please excuse the typo within the picture

I originally bought the Metra adapters (72-5600), but when I changed them out for Crutchfield's, the sound difference was huge.
I know this is old but it sounds like the Metra connectors are still wrong based on recent Amazon reviews. I did not read this until after I placed my order earlier today. I looked at Crutchfield for the correct option but they show two Metra connectors for late model Ford, none of their own brand? Anyone have a link?
PONY Member

Amazon.com : Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles : Coaxial Car Speakers : Electronics

It looks like the polarity is now correct on the Metra harness sold through Amazon.

2012 Lava Red Mustang Coupe V6 with stone interior
Auto,2.73,BAMA Tunes 93H,Axle Exchange Aluminum DS,Pypes M80 mufflers,Airaid CAI,
Shelby GT500 racing stripes, Side window louvers,Side scoops,Polk Audio MM571 speakers
Shelby GT500 Steering wheel, Maxxim Maze wheels (18 lbs), BBK Throttle Body, Stillen Chin Spoiler, 10" Amplified Bazooka Subwoofer, Illuminated Door Sills, GT500 rear diffuser, Roush Rocker Panel Splitters, Splash Guards, Continental Extreme DWS tires
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfromnaples View Post
Amazon.com : Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles : Coaxial Car Speakers : Electronics

It looks like the polarity is now correct on the Metra harness sold through Amazon.
Well, the pic is right but read the reviews. Recent reviews indicate that the picture is not correct and the wires are swapped in orientation.

I was looking for the Crutchfield link mentioned above by Grim2013
BOSS Member

The Metra set I just got from Amazon is incorrect. I'll have to replace the ends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page