Replacement speakers for 2013 Shaker 500? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Heres a link that works-

Soundscape audio install | Facebook

2013 Premium GT/CS 6MT, ProCharger P1 Stage 2, ID1000 injectors, Autometer and 2 Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, SOS A-pillar, Whiteline positive shift kit, 3.73 gears, Kooks headers and catted X-pipe, Lethal engine mounts, Barton 2 post bracket, GT500 shift knob and boot, GT-500 axle backs, Eibach Pro's, Steeda panhard, AMR 19x8.5/9.5 wheels w/GT's, shorty ant, HERTZ- HDP5 amp and Hi Energy 6.5's/Audison Bit 10-D EQ/Audiomobile 12" with custom enclosure
606/505 SAE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Nice...Hertz is very, very good stuff.

2013 Race Red GT/CS 6MT; Elec Pkg; RAAMat on the doors; Morel Tempo 5x7 coaxials; GT500 axle-backs painted black
Rookie

Hello folks I'd like to piggy-back onto this thread if you don't mind. I got a 2013 V6 Convertible (MCA Package) a couple of weeks ago. I too would love to upgrade the front speakers as it seems like they can be greatly improved for a little cost and moderate labor.

I've read through a number of threads with people having some issues with getting speakers to fit properly in the 2013 model, and would like to post my plan here in hopes that you folks can set me straight if I'm off track. I don't know anything about audio but I'm willing to take my time and do the job myself - I like to learn and do the upgrades myself wherever I can.

First - according to Ford here's what I have:

Quote:
The available Shaker Audio System includes an AM/FM stereo, single-disc CD/MP3 player and six speakers and two subwoofers. It comes standard on the 2013 Mustang V6 Premium, GT Premium and Shelby GT500.
This seems different than what I've been reading here. I see two speaker 'vents' in back seat area, and what might be 4 in the front doors. I'm not worried about the rear speaks - as has been discussed here I understand they are very difficult to get to and hardly worth the trouble.

I don't know where the subwoofers are - if they are accessible it would seem beneficial to upgrade these. I'm guessing that the component and tweeter in each front door count as four speakers. These are what I plan to replace now (and like I said the subs too if they happen to be in the front doors).

Without pulling the doors off (yet) what I think I need is:

Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black)
Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black)

Metra 72-5600 harnesses

2010 Mustang V6 door speaker spacer

Does this seem correct to you folks? Has anyone actually replaced the speakers in a 2013 premium V6 convertible?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2013 Mustang V6 3.7L Convertible Sterling Grey
Mustang Club of America Package
K&N Cold Air Intake
SCT iTSX Bama tune coming soon!!!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks! How are you liking your 5x7's?

2013 Premium GT/CS 6MT, ProCharger P1 Stage 2, ID1000 injectors, Autometer and 2 Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, SOS A-pillar, Whiteline positive shift kit, 3.73 gears, Kooks headers and catted X-pipe, Lethal engine mounts, Barton 2 post bracket, GT500 shift knob and boot, GT-500 axle backs, Eibach Pro's, Steeda panhard, AMR 19x8.5/9.5 wheels w/GT's, shorty ant, HERTZ- HDP5 amp and Hi Energy 6.5's/Audison Bit 10-D EQ/Audiomobile 12" with custom enclosure
606/505 SAE
Rookie

I don't know jack about cars or audio so I've read as much as I can, including this thread, to prepare to replace my front door speakers.

I ordered Polk db571's plus the metra 72-5600 harnesses and the 2010 door speaker spacers. Then I started to look around for documentation - and I can't find any. I even went to helminc.com to subscribe to the service manual - and it hasn't been produced for the 2013 yet.

Called the dealer and they said just pop the chrome trim off the speaker area on the door panel and you can replace it that way - I'm skeptical. Called Ford and the guy there said the schematic shows that you have to remove the door panel.

I've never done this before and don't want to break anything - can anyone point me towards some documentation?

Thanks!

EDIT:Just saw the sticky post with the great diagrams from the service manual - oops! Probably can use this info even if the 2013 is slightly different.

Thanks for the great info and wish me luck!

K&N Cold Air Intake

Last edited by geocurt; 09-06-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Found the info in a sticky
Apprentice

Taking the door panel off is fairly easy.

There are lots of great how-to threads with pictures, but if you search on Crutchfield's site, they also have a document with pictures that you can print out or view as a pdf that shows how to take the door panels off.

It's pretty easy on this car compared to some others I have done.
Rookie

Yup. First door took me way too long, a couple of hours as I was getting the hang of it. Second door went much faster - maybe 45 minutes?

Was fun to do the project, and I'm fairly happy with the results - but I have the feeling a need an amp to really get the most out of the new speakers.

K&N Cold Air Intake
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocurt View Post
Was fun to do the project, and I'm fairly happy with the results - but I have the feeling a need an amp to really get the most out of the new speakers.
Welcome to the club. Once you have a system with amped speakers, you can never go back. Makes all the difference in the world.

When I started my stereo (after doing big systems and little systems in previous cars) I thought to myself, no problem, just replace the speakers and run them off the factory amps.

That lasted all of about 30 seconds.

You'll WANT an amp.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtial View Post
Heres a link that works-

Soundscape audio install | Facebook
Could you post these pictures on the forum? The link doesn't work for me, and someone is asking about this in the 2011+ Talk section.

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page