Problem with door locks on an '88 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004 Thread Starter

Problem with door locks on an '88 Mustang

I have an 88 and am wondering how hard it is to fix the locks? How much does it cost to buy a set? Should I buy it as a set or can I get just 1 for the left door? How many hours should it take for a beginner?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004
4.6L Member

Why are you considering replacing them? Working inside a car door is a pain-in-the- @$$ Not enough room to see what you're doin' and too many dang parts in the way.

However, it is also one of the better places for a beginner to cut his teeth. Minor errors go unnoticed, and the car will still run no matter how bad of a job you do. The worst problem I've ever had was getting the correct replacement plastic anchors for the door panel.

You can buy as much, or as little as you want to from your local salvage yard. How many keys do you wanna have on your key ring? Unless you're a lock rebuilding expert, the "new" lock won't be keyed the same as the old.

Are your locks simply frozen? Or, are you sure they are broken? Do you know how to remove the interior door panel?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005

You prob asked this question for the same reason I did a few months ago...They did not work...If you have power locks as I do...There is an actuator inside the door that operates the locks...If that stops working...The doors will not lock by the swith manually or by using a key...It sucks...Just open your door panel on the inside and un-plug them....Pretty easy..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005
5.0L Member

i have a 93 lx, and i had the same problem, i just replaced the actuators, and there was a little piece of plastic that went to the key hole that was broke also, this made the keyhole just spin.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005
Apprentice

If you want replacement parts for it try johnsmustang.com. They'll have everything that you need for your year and then some.
Sneado

1999 GT (Stock for now)
1999 EB Explorer (Wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page