New component speakers in my doors - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

New component speakers in my doors

I purchased my '05 convertible with the stock stereo system. Step one of upgrading it was installing my previously owned Pioneer DEH-8400BH head unit—which made a noticeable difference in the sound quality and made it a lot easier to use my iPhone (with bluetooth or an iPod cable connector) as my sound source. Step two was completed today: Swapping out the rear speakers for a pair of JL Audio C2-570X 2-way 5x7 speakers and my front speakers with a pair of JL Audio C2-650 6.5" 2-way components. I picked my speakers by going to the local Car Toys dealership and listening to a bunch of different speaker combinations. This seemed to be the best sounding out of the lot, for my price range. Installing the rear speakers was a breeze, and is documented on a separate thread on this site. The front speakers were more work. The 6.5" diameter woofers do not fit directly into the 5x7 stock mounts (no surprise there) and I had to trim the Scosche adapters I bought to get the adapters to fit. I also had to trim off some of the retaining tabs on the door speaker mounts. So just installing the woofers involved a lot of trimming and cutting—not for the inexperienced. I mounted the crossovers using velcro on the inside of the doors where the 8" Shaker 500 subs go. After some research, I decided to put the tweeters in the corner mounts over the rear-view mirrors. I saw someone else here do that and it seemed like a good position for them—plus, the driver's side mirror tilts the tweeter towards my head in a good position. Before cutting the holes in these covers, I used the driver's side cover to make a template of the power mirror control cutout. I used this template to cut a hole to reposition the power mirror control in the door panel itself. (The other person I had seen had repositioned the control below the window switches, but on the convertible this isn't an option). I also considered repositioning the control to the right of the headlight switch set, but really didn't want to get into lengthening and re-routing the connector harness.

With all done, I am pretty happy with how it came out. My sound quality is good, a lot clearer/crisper, and the whole process went pretty smoothly.

Driver's side, with repositioned power mirror switch:
New component speakers in my doors-img_2914.jpg

Passenger side:
New component speakers in my doors-img_2916.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality photos, it was dark by the time I finished and all I had was my phone camera.

Step three will be some kind of sub: I'm considering a large one in the trunk ala the Stealthbox, but also thinking that I might be better off with Shaker 500-style 8" subs in the door, since a convertible loses bass so easily. I'm also planning on adding an amp to this setup (although the 4x50W MOSFET amp on-board the Pioneer head unit does a more than adequate job powering these speakers for now).

2005 V6 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012
Apprentice

Looking good! Post more pics when you can!

2013 V6, Performance White, MCA, Glass Roof, Leather Recaro Seats, Rear Camera
Ordered: 8/6 Sticker: 8/25 Build: 9/13 ETA1: 9/23 ETA2: 10/2 ETA 3: 10/13 Picked Up: 10/11 :kooky:
Viper 5704 Alarm System (with Remote Start), Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror (with Display, Homelink, & Compass), Quick-Drain Oil Change Valve, Black JLT Oil Separator, Black MMD Hood Struts, LED License Plate Light Conversion, 3rd Brake Light Pulser
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Very nicely done!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Nice, but looking at rhe first pic. Is it easier to work on when your car is upside down?

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page