2012 Amp and Sub install, outcome - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2012 Amp and Sub install, outcome

So I installed an amp and subs (two 10's JL Audio, Alpine amp)

and it's funny how many pathetic rattles there are. Something under the car in the area of the gas tank rattles, the mirror rattles. Go figure? I've owned dozens of vehicles and had subs in the car and this is a first. (mirror). And the even funnier part is that it wasn't even loud. No, it isn't the exhaust rattling, it sounds like a vibrating cavalier standing outside the car. I'm really disappointed considering it is a new car. It's not like I can drive around pretending that I don't care.

Does anyone else have any comments regarding rattling parts? I know Dynamat is an option but I dont' know if going through all that hassle would eliminate the amount of rattling I hear going on. I cannot drive and listen to music with the subs on knowing I sound like a rattle trap.

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
PONY Member

I've got the JL Audio Stealthbox and mine does the same thing. If you lay down one or both of your rear seats then it'll help alot with the trunk rattle. If you pull the interior light plastic piece off (above the rear view mirror) and pack it with paper towels until it'll bearly snap back on then it'll cure the rattle by your rear view mirror. Mine sounds awesome but like you I am disappointed in how bad everything rattles when it's turned up. I guess it's a trade off unless you wanna spend the time to pinpoint every rattle and address them one at a time. If I know I'm gonna be bumping then I'll just lay down one of the rear seats and it's bearable for me.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Dynat is your best bet.

Just a side note, its not just Ford that rattles like that. Lots of cars are going to have some rattle or buzz that the bass brings out.

My ex girlfriend's honda had to go in for a full dynamat workover after she installed her audio. The rattles were terrible.

2012 Kona Blue GT Prem, 401A (Charc + Blue), MT, 3.73, HIDs, Glass Roof, Electronics, Rear Sense + Security, Rear View Cam.
JHR bracket, FRPP, Steeda Sport Springs, Pro Action Dampers, adj Panhard, J&M Camber Plates

2004 Xterra (Sold) 2000 AltezzaRS (AKA-Lexus IS200 Sold)
"Mustangs are like good looking women. You can spend a lot of money dressing them up, but really they just look better naked."

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

How about if you turn the volume down would that help?Not everyone want"s to hear the music 5 miles away, or the my new learned word BUMPING or better put TARGET, how do you hear fire trucks or police cars with all that BUMPING going on in and out of your car,bad as the dam texting and cell phones.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
PONY Member

You need to sound deaden the trunk and trunk lid. I have 1000 watts going to a couple JL 10w6's and I have no rattle

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, 3.73's,
Hotchkis springs, 18x9.5,18x11 Forgestar CF5's, Lethal o/r H-Pipe, JLT CAI, BBR tune, Hotchkis panhard, UMI LCA relocation brackets, BMR LCA's, MGW, GT500 strut mounts, KYB struts, GT500 ab's, Steeda motor mounts, NX plate

2003 Mach 1-R.I.P
2003 Mach 1-Procharged*SOLD*
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
How about if you turn the volume down would that help?Not everyone want"s to hear the music 5 miles away, or the my new learned word BUMPING or better put TARGET, how do you hear fire trucks or police cars with all that BUMPING going on in and out of your car,bad as the dam texting and cell phones.

How about putting yourself on mute and f-king off? You added no input to the thread other than prove you're a jackoff.

Not everybody that has a subwoofer listens to music at full volume so don't be a fuken mr.knowitall you heathen dummy.

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynobrat View Post
How about putting yourself on mute and f-king off? You added no input to the thread other than prove you're a jackoff.

Not everybody that has a subwoofer listens to music at full volume so don't be a fuken mr.knowitall you heathen dummy.

Well that escalated quickly

Current : 2013 BLACK GT/CS - 6MT / 3.73 - Gt 500 Quad AB's no resonators, BAMA Tune, Boss Intake Manifold, Lethal ORX, BMR LCA's/Brackets,
C&L CAI, Eibach SportLines, Steeda Hd strut mounts, CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
Gone but not forgotten : 2012 BLACK Base GT
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:

If that is the way they teach you to write and talk up in Canada I am glad I am from the USA,at least my FREEDOM of speech isn"t FOUL like yours,nuff said.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
PONY Member

Quote:

And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

you guys are all retarded. The guy who posted turning it down is obviously a tool for posting what he did, and you guys are retards for thinking you're better than somebody else and defending him in the process. Get a grip.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Presumption at it's finest. Maybe some understanding is in order. While there are your adolescents that seem to be empowered by ludicrous amounts of bass in their rides......this is not what's being discussed here. Most music.....whether produced in the 50's or today, cannot be truly appreciated without a subwoofer. For instance the lowest note on a standard bass guitar is 41hz @ standard tuning......most stock audio systems fall on their face long before they get even close (door speakers drop off steeply below 80-90hz).......so I don't fault those that want some impact from their tunes by using a sub. That aside, my car has numerous rattles without a sub running, so I can relate in a sense to the OP and others. Dynamat can help. If you want the most effective and least time/$ consuming do just the decklid and isolate the license plate. I've found the best fix in previous cars I've had systems in is to remove the rear speakers altogether. That will relieve the pressure in the trunk and vent into the cabin for a double benefit......plus IMO it sounds much better to have the soundstage projecting from the front only. OP- ported box or sealed? A ported sub is usually going to move more air around the trunk, thus creating more rattles than a sealed configuration all other components being equal.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

part of why I wanted subs in the back is because I don't like all the sound projecting from the front.

MVI 0626 - YouTube

it's the mirror that rattles not the light above it.

PONY Member

Quote:
part of why I wanted subs in the back is because I don't like all the sound projecting from the front.

MVI 0626 - YouTube

If you've isolated the rattling...then get to it skippy. I agree, the sub-bass should come from behind the driver.....so it has time to reflect and ramp up some cabin gain before reaching the drivers' ear. You completely missed my point about the soundstage. I wasn't refering to the subs. I meant that by removing the rear speakers, alleviating the pressure (the cause of most of the rattling) inside the trunk by way of the empty holes left, and only having the MID/HIGH stage coming from the front (the speakers in your doors)....it sounds better....IMO.

2012 Kona Blue 3.7 MT82
Airaid CAI, Flowmaster A-back, BBK ceramic shorties, black enkei raijin 18x8.5, Steeda ultralites/pro action dampers, whiteline PHB & brace
RJW Aggressor matte black stripes, GT bumper/CS valance/Saleen grille, AM black shift knob

It is only rarely that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman. ~Alexandre Dumas
GT Member

Quote:
mr.knowitall you heathen dummy.
this made me lol

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:

MVI 0626 - YouTube

Lol. That sounds just like my mirror. Sounds like that over bumps too doesn't it?

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page