Is it possible to control MP3 player with 2013 V6 base radio? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Is it possible to control MP3 player with 2013 V6 base radio?

I have a base V6 2013 Mustang, and would like to control a MP3 player with the radio. When I plug it into the audio in port, the AUX button sees it as a "line", and my music plays through the radio. The problem is I have to operate the MP3 player because the radio buttons won't. I'd like to be able to move between albums/songs/artists and such using the radio controls, and not the MP3 player.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
I have a base V6 2013 Mustang, and would like to control a MP3 player with the radio. When I plug it into the audio in port, the AUX button sees it as a "line", and my music plays through the radio. The problem is I have to operate the MP3 player because the radio buttons won't. I'd like to be able to move between albums/songs/artists and such using the radio controls, and not the MP3 player.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Tim
No, it's not....

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, then I guess it's settled. The radio/nav upgrade is going to move closer to the front of the line. The good thing is it will still be cheaper than the "tech" package from Ford.

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
Well, then I guess it's settled. The radio/nav upgrade is going to move closer to the front of the line. The good thing is it will still be cheaper than the "tech" package from Ford.

Tim
You didn't need the tech package; even the Shaker 500 with SYNC would have the ability to control the ipod.

The other thing you'll have to get is a dash kit to replace/move your heater controls. I don't believe your conversion will be as cheap or easy as you seem to expect it to be.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
You didn't need the tech package; even the Shaker 500 with SYNC would have the ability to control the ipod.

The other thing you'll have to get is a dash kit to replace/move your heater controls. I don't believe your conversion will be as cheap or easy as you seem to expect it to be.

Well, a decent 2 DIN + Scoche panel + pre-wired harness from Crutchfield is in the neighborhood of $600. That will give me all that I need; read as exactly what I want. The tech package was $1295 from Ford. Every post and youtube vid I've seen makes the swap look pretty easy, especially if you buy the harness. Most people posting about it start out with "I've never swapped a radio before...", and they get it to work. I did my first radio swap ever in my 2000 F-150 a few years ago, and forgot the ground wire. After 20 minutes of noodling around on a Sunday night no less, I called Crutchfield support, and they figured it out within minutes. Between them, and the collective knowledge of this community, I think it's well within my minimal skill set. It would be just a radio swap, with no speaker, amp, camera, etc... involvement.

I know I should probably upgrade the speakers as well, but at my age, after years of lawn mowing, weed wacking, using chainsaws, boating, flying small aircraft, and being around firearms, my hearing isn't the greatest. So, I don't really see a need to up the speakers.

Tim

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Hey tim13, yeah you won't be able to do iPod control.with your base unfortunately. Your swap shouldn't be too pricey because you don't have sync equipped. Crutchfield sells the dash adaptor for 200 when you buy a deck with it, so the price is good actually.

Also, for the time it takes to remove the door panels. I would just swap the front speakers while your doing audio upgrades at the time. Takes like 20 min to remove the door panels if its your first time. Just get a decent set of 6x8s that take 35-50/60watts rms each, should cost you 60-100 bucks to replace the fronts. They will really shine with a quality headunit.

If you have some time to wait, I will be installing my gear probably next weekend. I was going to post a thread on the whole install process. I've never done anything related to car audio installs, so it should be fun! I found it just about impossible to find much information on 2011+ mustang installs.

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I'll be looking for your thread. Be sure to post pics during the process if you take any. I'm in no hurry to do the upgrade since it's getting colder now, and the car will be stored.

Crutchfield is out of stock on the replacement panel, so I signed up for an email alert when they have it back in. At that point, I'll order my stuff, and wait for the weather to break in the spring time to do the install.

You're probably right about the door speakers. I should think about doing that. I'll probably wait and see how things sound with the stock ones, and then make the call at that point.

Good luck with your new audio.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page