2005 Mustang coupe with shaker 1000 system, what are my options - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012 Thread Starter
JasonKidd's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Yuba City
Posts: 1
2005 Mustang coupe with shaker 1000 system, what are my options

Has anyone here upgraded their head unit or other components in a similar system?

I would like to explore all options for replacing HU, speakers, and sub but i dont know how much of an undertaking this is going to be.

Any helpful input is greatly appreciated....even if the input is 'dont bother'. Just need some direction.



JasonKidd is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012
PONY Member
Classic Member
Bitter's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Winchendon
Posts: 462
If you intend to keep the subs, you need to be aware that the Shaker HU sends 5V to turn them on. Most replacement units use 12V. You can get around this by using the PAC wiring (expensive) or a 5V fixed regulator from Radio Shack (#7805) for $2.

Edit: On second thought, I may be wrong. The Shaker 500 uses 5V. I'm not sure about the Shaker 1000.

Last edited by Bitter; 10-07-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Correction
Bitter is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012
alwaysonjohn's Avatar
Posts: n/a
The shaker 1000 is the shaker 500 with an additional sub in the trunk. Put simply you cannot re-use the shaker 1000 subwoofer box in the trunk. You will have to buy an aftermarket subwoofer/box/amplifier. TO reuse the shaker 500 8" door subs, only shelby makes subs that re-use the existing wires (you do have to cut some wires though) and the price is cheap at $130. However, unless you want the shakers to fall to pieces with a new headunit, you need to put polyfill in the subwoofer air space. To replace the door speakers, it's fairly simple and any 6x8 or 5x7 will work. To replace the rear speakers, that is fairly difficult on a 2008 mustang, but it also takes 5x7.

On an after-market head unit it requires two five volt regulators on the "remote-wire" that goes to the factory amps (two regulators since you have two factory amps). You can buy the expensive pac wiring harness that has it built-in though. On the metro install kit, you will have to cut some parts out.

maybe some pictures will help. click on the pictures for notes!
Shaker 500 pictures by alwaysonjohn - Photobucket
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1