Aftermarket Audio System for 1966 Fastback - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Aftermarket Audio System for 1966 Fastback

Hey, I'm looking to replace an older aftermarket system. I've heard mixed reviews on the Custom Autosound models. I'd like to know your experiences positive or negative with some of the units currently on the market. I'm looking for something with a usb or that will play an ipod. Also, I'm looking for creative ideas for a speaker install for a fastback. Currently I have 2 "self contained" 4x6's that just sit in the back and slide around. I'm looking for a superior solution without cutting my trapdoor. Has anyone used the repo trapdoors? Are they a good fit? I'm open to any other creative suggestions as well.Thanks in advance for your input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012
Apprentice
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBraz View Post
Hey, I'm looking to replace an older aftermarket system. I've heard mixed reviews on the Custom Autosound models. I'd like to know your experiences positive or negative with some of the units currently on the market. I'm looking for something with a usb or that will play an ipod. Also, I'm looking for creative ideas for a speaker install for a fastback. Currently I have 2 "self contained" 4x6's that just sit in the back and slide around. I'm looking for a superior solution without cutting my trapdoor. Has anyone used the repo trapdoors? Are they a good fit? I'm open to any other creative suggestions as well.Thanks in advance for your input!
I have the CA usa 630 and its a pretty decent radio. Doesn't require cutting the dash and what not. Has aux. cable and usb connections. Does 240 watts of power although I'm starting to not like the green dash light. I know the orginals its possible to change the colors of the light to match your interior.
Make sure whoever installs it does it quality. For me, being one of the first things done to my car I went with the first guy available and boy do I regret it. Somewhere down the line, ill be replacing a lot of bad connections. The guy didn't install the radio strap that holds the radio down so yeah lots of shaking.....
Speaker wise, I run the front grill speaker and two 6x9s in the package tray (coupe). Have you thought about kickpanel speakers?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012
Apprentice

I would suggest something that can house 6x9's instead, is possible. Those will provide much more low-end dynamics.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the comments on the C.A. unit. I'll look into it. I have a fastback and wasn't sure on the trapdoor panel. Don't want to cut mine. Considered the repo door with pods, also thought about getting something custom made. Just didn't know if someone had a nice creative install for the rear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012
Apprentice
Classic Member

If anything get the usa 66, you lose presets but it looks like a 66 radio. Mmmm you can try speakers in the seats? Like fiero speakers lol.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBraz View Post
what size are the door speakers?? sony has the best usb decks I find
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
audio , fastback , radio , speaker , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page