Need to drill into trunk of 1997 to mount subwoofers- WITHOUT BLOWING UP THE GAS TANK - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Need to drill into trunk of 1997 to mount subwoofers- WITHOUT BLOWING UP THE GAS TANK

I have a 1997 Mustang coupe and I have a couple of sub boxes in the trunk custom cut to fit in the corner behind the taillights.

The boxes are about 15x15", and I want to put 2 or three screws in each, ()

Hi. :kooky:

I have heard that most gas tanks sit between 0.5 to one inches below the trunk, () but I'm not willing to risk drilling into the gas tank with metal sparks flying everywhere based on what someone said about their toyoda.

Does anyone have any idea what I should look out for when drilling?

The life you save, may be yours!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

do that thing where you wrap tape around the drill bit to limit how far down it can go. put it like a quarter inch from the end of the bit.

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Dont even bother screwing it down, ive never screwed any of my subs down, get some of those 3m velcro strips and put them on the trunk and the sub, worked well for me, and then you dont have to risk blowing up :p

88' notchback coupe, 302, BBK intake, MSD Cap, some other stuff, Rebuilt by previous owner, dont think he did the best job though. dont really know much, just bought it and it aint workin so well, its fun though And excuse my typos im using a piece of crap i phone!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

The problem I have with velcro is that I don't want to have to worry even a little about them sliding around pulling the carpet with them, especially in an accident.

But I just realized that if I screwed them down i would also be screwing my carpet down with it cutting off access to the spare tire, so I would have to cut out a square the size of the box in the carpet if I want access to the spare..

I think I will go with velcro as a temporary solution, as I may add another sub in the spare tire spot flush with the floor, then I wouldn't have a problem screwing my carpet down..

I would still like to know how far the gas tank is down, but I think that if I use that tape technique I can just start a hold and feel how deep it is.

Both your posts helped clear up my confusion... mostly :laughlitt

Last edited by asilentfire; 10-10-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: THANKS!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
ok for those who will find this thread from google, the gas tank is removable, loosen or undo the mounting straps, and lower the tank just enough out of the way to prevent a deadly accident.

common sense, just remove the dangerous item from your path.....

2007 Mustang GT Deluxe Edition 5 Speed - White, Red Shelby Stripes
Roush Intake, 322 LPH Fuel Pump, 3.55 Gears, Dana Spicer Aluminum Driveshaft, Magnaflow Race Series Axle-Backs, 91 Oct. Dyno Tuning
255/50/R17 NITTO 555s, Slotted Rotors
324 RWHP, 328 RWTQ - 9-1-2018

1996 Mustang GT Coupe Auto White
2004 Shadow Gray Convertible 4.2L V6
Pacesetter Shortys, 2.5 Duals, Deleted Cats, Custom 2.5 H Pipe, Flowmaster 40s
Auburn Posi with 3.27 gears, 0.5 Phenolic Manifold Spacer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member

I actually made a whole plywood piece cut to fit, my trunk, then glued the carpet to that, drilled my hole n made sure my screws only went a quarter inch through the trunk bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120730_200832.jpg
Views:	4084
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	164979  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

dropping the tank is not easy or fun especially when it's got gas in it. and it is dumb to drop it if you're just trying to screw something down.

2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstang690 View Post
dropping the tank is not easy or fun especially when it's got gas in it. and it is dumb to drop it if you're just trying to screw something down.
Mark is right, that would not be fun. But a gas tank full of gas IS dangerous, but I found a solution to get rid of the hazard AND make it fun:

1. Take off shirt
  2. Moisten shirt with gas
  3. Insert shirt into gas tank
  4. Ignite shirt with lighter
  5. Take a couple steps back
  6. Your gas tank is now empty and safe
Safety first people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page