Shaker 500 phone interface - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Shaker 500 phone interface

I just got a 2007 GT Convertible and see that on the Shaker 500 there is a "Phone/Mute" button on it. I was told that this was to activate a phone interface for handsfree operation but there is nothing in the manual about connecting or using it.
Anyone have any help with this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Apprentice

They lied to you the 2005-2008 radios do not have bluetooth capabilities in the Mustang. The button just mutes your stereo if you need to make a phone call.

Only 2009s could be retrofit with the new Sync abilities.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with the AutoGuide App.

Waiting to see this 2015 Mustang and saving money to pre order one
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Crap... buyer beware. I guess I'll need to get a parrot or something.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think there might be an aftermarket add-on product that will take advantage of that button?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Apprentice

Your best off just getting a pioneer double din touchscreen with bluetooth and all the goodies.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindStang View Post
I just got a 2007 GT Convertible and see that on the Shaker 500 there is a "Phone/Mute" button on it. I was told that this was to activate a phone interface for handsfree operation but there is nothing in the manual about connecting or using it.
Anyone have any help with this?
Thanks
Hi WindStang,

Welcome to the forum. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Depending on the year and model, we've had radios that are compatible with or without the phone system. If yours has a display of NO PHONE then you do not have the phone system. I also found this in the ’07 Owner’s Guide under the Entertainment System section:
2. Phone/mute: Press to mute the playing media. Press again to return to the playing media.

Deysha
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye6 View Post
Your best off just getting a pioneer double din touchscreen with bluetooth and all the goodies.

+1 it will be cheaper and you will be happier. You can buy a Bluetooth capable stereo for a $150-$200 that will have more features than your factory unit.

Also with Black Friday deals, it is a great time to shop for electronics!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Mute button lol. Like pushing the giant "power" button is that hard

2007 Grabber Orange GT Premium, 5 sp Manual,CDC Sequentials, 18 inch Polished wheels, Corsa Xtremes,FRPP Suspension,BMR Adj. PHB and Brace,Hurst Comp. Plus Billet STS, Steeda UDP's, JLT CAI
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012
Rookie

The local Ford service advisor told me that if you put a double din system with bluetooth, gps, etc it will draw so much power that the stock alternator/battery won't handle it. Seems it causes the lights and inside and out to dim when at idle...Don't know if that is true or not but if anyone out there knows for sure I'd like some info.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Hi Deysha
I also read the owners manual and see what you quoted. I don't see any sort of message when I press the button - it just mutes the radio - (like the power button). Are you suggesting that perhaps there is a way to like it to a phone? Please elaborate!
Thanks
Apprentice

Quote:
Hi Deysha
I also read the owners manual and see what you quoted. I don't see any sort of message when I press the button - it just mutes the radio - (like the power button). Are you suggesting that perhaps there is a way to like it to a phone? Please elaborate!
Thanks
You don't have bluetooth. Period.

To the guy that had the dealer tell them about to much power draw....... Tell them to shut it that's the most moronic thing I have ever heard. If anything an aftermarket system would be more energy efficient.

FordService

Quote:
Hi Deysha
Thanks
No, WindStang. Since you don't see any sort of message, it means yours is not phone capable and all it does is mute the playing media.

Deysha
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreegun View Post
The local Ford service advisor told me that if you put a double din system with bluetooth, gps, etc it will draw so much power that the stock alternator/battery won't handle it. Seems it causes the lights and inside and out to dim when at idle...Don't know if that is true or not but if anyone out there knows for sure I'd like some info.
like Deadeye said, I have a real hard time believing this . . . I do not believe that these cars have THAT crappy an alternator and/or battery that they cannot handle a half decent head unit; what about the cars that came with NAV, do they have a completely different / upgraded alternator and battery? doubt it

If you were talking about a huge system with power amps and a trunk full of subs that would be a different story

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have a 1000 watt amp pushing two 12's and a PA/siren system all on the stock battery and alt. Not one issue of charging or anything. A new head unit shouldn't be an issue.

2006 Mustang GT--C&L Racer CAI, 93R Bama tune, SLP Loudmouth axle-backs, 4.10s, CMDPs, J&M LCAs, GT500KR shocks/struts/springs, BBK ceramic shorties, Pypes O/R H pipe, Prothane sway bar bushings, Powerstop Drilled/Slotted rotors, Powerstop performance ceramic pads
*SR Performance UD Pullies on the way
"There's no replacement for displacement"
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The "mute" function is made to work with different phone interfaces. I currently have a Parrot MKi9200 on my 05 GT with a Shaker 500 to connect my iPhone 4 using bluetoth for the calls or cable for my playlist. When receiving a phone call, I just press the remote button and the shaker 500 is being mute automatically by the Parrot kit and the call is done through the car speakers. When ending the call, mute function is deactivated for radio.

This mute function is mandatory for aftermkatet phone kits going through the original sound car system for calls.

2007 Shelby GT BV5

1989 Fox Convertible GT BV5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in