Will 12-inch subwoofers fit in a Mustang trunk? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyboy4
Theyre only 800 rms per pair. 400 apiece.
This Mono Rockford amp is all i would need to power them.
I still dont know what subs I'll end up with though, depends on what i find that is good and the sales that are going on before Chirstmas this year.

2004 40th Anniversary GT - Sonic Blue, Daily Driver, Steeda Short-throw, SR Performance CAI, Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Was this setup in a 94+ Mustang or another vehicle? The Mustang alternators doubled in output starting in 94.
it was a 2000 v6

2000 v6 mustang RED: Totaled

2002 Mustang GT Convertible SILVER:
MGW short throw shifter, 4.10 gears, Bama Performance tuner, Airaid CAI, Bassani off-raod x-pipe, Borla Stinger Catback, Athracite FR500's (275 front, 315 rear), Bilstein shocks/struts, H&R lowering springs, Maximum Motorsport cc plates, Mach 1 chin spoiler, shorty antenna,
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy4 View Post
Theyre only 800 rms per pair. 400 apiece.
This Mono Rockford amp is all i would need to power them.
I still dont know what subs I'll end up with though, depends on what i find that is good and the sales that are going on before Chirstmas this year.
still 1600 peak per pair. and with that you will want head room. you will want a 2000 watt peak mono or 1000 watt peak 2 channel. that will run you around $400 for a good mono amp. and dont get rockford with kicker subs. kicker amps are one of the best. just giving you a heads-up because you may run into many problems running that much power. invest in at least a 2 farad cap. it will save your battery and alternator.

MGW short throw shifter, 4.10 gears, Bama Performance tuner, Airaid CAI, Bassani off-raod x-pipe, Borla Stinger Catback, Athracite FR500's (275 front, 315 rear), Bilstein shocks/struts, H&R lowering springs, Maximum Motorsport cc plates, Mach 1 chin spoiler, shorty antenna,

GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
Couple of things to note:

1) If your looking at peak power on anything your doing it wrong.

2) If your wasting your money on a capacitor your also doing it wrong.

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

Well i want to know how to do it right. Thats why I'm asking here. I know that RMS power is what i need to be looking at, thats all that really matters.
What else? Will the 400W RMS subs be loud as hell all the time? Because i dont want that, i want good, healthy bass for my music, because the 5x7 speakers in these cars just cant deliver that. On occasion though, i would like to be able to turn them up and get a little loud.

I have narrowed my choice between one of these two subs, and i will get a pair of the ones i decide on. Which do you guys suggest for what I am wanting from them?

Kicker 10C104 (10C10-4) 10" Single 4 ohm Comp Car Subwoofer

Kicker 07CVR104 (07CVR10-4) 10" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Car Subwoofer

2004 40th Anniversary GT - Sonic Blue, Daily Driver, Steeda Short-throw, SR Performance CAI, Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Loud as hell all the time???? Are you forgetting that any deck AND amp made in the last 10 years will have equalizer settings, and amp gain settings? That's 4 different means of fine tuning the output.

Either one will be enough for what you want. But for only $15 more the VR blows away the other one. (in more ways than the rms rating) You'd be stupid not to get the VR. Not to mention it is spec'd for a slightly smaller box.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Loud as hell all the time???? Are you forgetting that any deck AND amp made in the last 10 years will have equalizer settings, and amp gain settings? That's 4 different means of fine tuning the output.
Well I'm pretty new to this stuff. Just wanted someone to assure me it wont always be like that. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Either one will be enough for what you want. But for only $15 more the VR blows away the other one. (in more ways than the rms rating) You'd be stupid not to get the VR. Not to mention it is spec'd for a slightly smaller box.
Thats honestly what i was thinking. Ive watched videos on both a few minutes ago and the VR really hits when its turned up. Seemed to be better than the regular Comp in every video.
I just dont wanna be one of those guys that drive by your house at 3 a.m. with 150 db bass music playing...
Not for the innocent anyway. People who annoy me well... Maybe thats a different story.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESG-642T View Post
Couple of things to note:

1) If your looking at peak power on anything your doing it wrong.

2) If your wasting your money on a capacitor your also doing it wrong.
u need a cap if your pushing over 1000 watts. as well as a new alternator. and peak power is just as helpful as rms simply for hard hitting songs. if your amp has a lower peak rating than the subs you wont get the full potential from the subs. if the subs suck too much energy they will shut off. and if your running a cheap amp u can blow the amp and subs.

Apprentice

Quote:
Well i want to know how to do it right. Thats why I'm asking here. I know that RMS power is what i need to be looking at, thats all that really matters.
What else? Will the 400W RMS subs be loud as hell all the time? Because i dont want that, i want good, healthy bass for my music, because the 5x7 speakers in these cars just cant deliver that. On occasion though, i would like to be able to turn them up and get a little loud.

I have narrowed my choice between one of these two subs, and i will get a pair of the ones i decide on. Which do you guys suggest for what I am wanting from them?

Kicker 10C104 (10C10-4) 10" Single 4 ohm Comp Car Subwoofer

Kicker 07CVR104 (07CVR10-4) 10" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Car Subwoofer
and cvr's have the capability of being loud but its all in the tuning of the amp/ deck settings as well at the box you use and wiring. if you want it to add some sound it can, if u want it to rattle your car it can. its all up to you. and personally i would choose the dual 4 ohm.

GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LjGamer1 View Post
u need a cap if your pushing over 1000 watts. as well as a new alternator. and peak power is just as helpful as rms simply for hard hitting songs. if your amp has a lower peak rating than the subs you wont get the full potential from the subs. if the subs suck too much energy they will shut off. and if your running a cheap amp u can blow the amp and subs.
Nope and Nope

Never really need a capacitor, its a band-aid at best.

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjGamer1 View Post
Lol wut?

Sounds like you or one of your buds blew an amp by running it at 2 ohms when it wasn't rated for it. Do you even know how you get 2 ohms from one or two 4 ohm subs?
Apprentice

Quote:
Lol wut?

Sounds like you or one of your buds blew an amp by running it at 2 ohms when it wasn't rated for it. Do you even know how you get 2 ohms from one or two 4 ohm subs?
i was running at 4 or 8 ohms. thanks though. i do work at an audio shop so i was just trying to help. i guess ill stop. no need to imply that i am dumb. and for the record ive never blown an amp. if you read carefully i said if you run a cheap amp you will blow the amp. running cvr's on a cheap amp is a no no.

MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

So I guess that's a no, you don't know how to get 2 ohms from 4 ohm sub(s)?
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

I'd like to know...

Apprentice
V6 Member

Quote:
I'd like to know...
Wire two 4 ohm subs in parallel. Or if you have a sub with dual 4 ohm voice coils, wire them in parallel (not in series)

2000 V6 5 Speed
CAI
Dual Exhaust w/custom H-pipe
Flowmaster Super 40s
SCT Tuner
ASP 25% UDP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page