Will 12-inch subwoofers fit in a Mustang trunk? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyboy4
Will 12-inch subwoofers fit in a Mustang trunk?

Hey, I'm just wondering if there's any way that 12 inch subwoofers will fit in the trunk of a 94-04 Mustang? Seems like i read at one point that its nearly impossible to put 12's in. I know youre thinking "well just get 10's." That was my original intention. I was going to buy this pair here:
Kicker 10C102 (10C102) 10" Single 2 Ohm Comp Series Subwoofers
Nice subs, solid, good brand.
Well, i saw these 12's here, that handle twice as much power, for only $7 more, so I feel like an idiot if i take the 10's over these.
2 Kicker 07CVR124 (07CVR12-4) 12" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Subwoofers

I would just get the 10 inch model like those 12's but the pair is $40 more for the 10's. WTF, right?
Kicker 07CVR104 (07CVR10-4) 10" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Subwoofers

So back to the main question, if i were to get the 12's, is there a way i can make them work in the back of a Mustang? (With a box, of course)

2004 40th Anniversary GT - Sonic Blue, Daily Driver, Steeda Short-throw, SR Performance CAI, Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Ummmmm, measure your trunk?

The thing is, your woofer must match the box. One 12 in the right box, can sound 2x as loud as 2 12s in the wrong box. You should be able to look up the specs on the recommended enclosure type and volume for each woofer you are considering. You could for sure get 2 12s in a sealed box. Vented or bandpass... unlikely.

I know the Kicker Solo-baric are meant for small volume sealed boxes.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

2 Kicker 07CVR124 (07CVR12-4) 12" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Subwoofers

If you look at the specs, this one requires very little space, 1.0 cu ft per woofer minimum. So just pick a sealed box that would ideally be closest between the recommended min and max, then measure your trunk opening/space. You can fit those EASY.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

I really dont want anything too loud, but i just feel dumb if i take the half as powerful 10's over those 12's. Also, i guess it is nice to have all that power at hand if you want it..
My music just needs some good bass. I'm not planning to buy all of it at once, just a little over time. Subs now, then box later, and finally amp and wiring.

94-04 Ford MUSTANG Coupe SUB BOX Subwoofer Enclosure | eBay
This box here is made for a Mustang, but only has .80 cu ft per chamber. But theres some sort of poly-fiber fill or something that is supposed to make a box "seem bigger" to the subs, would I be okay with that?
Yeah here it is:
Fiber Fill for sub enclosure box (Polyester Fiber Fill, Poly-Fil)
With that price, if this stuff actually works, id be set looks like.

2004 40th Anniversary GT - Sonic Blue, Daily Driver, Steeda Short-throw, SR Performance CAI, Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

Well thats sweet. The price on those 12's just jumped to 155.
WTF.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
question is will your amplifier power the 10s or the 12s better?

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

I'll buy an amp to fit the subs. Thats why I'm buying the subs first.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
Rookie

Well depending on your box. I have 2 07cvr 12 inch.

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
Apprentice

If they're in a normal sized box. No they will not fit.

I tried my damnedest to get a pair of 13 1/2's in mine. From the back. And by laying the back seat down.

Mount them under or in the back seats.
And blast dubstep when you have girls back there. :nogrinner

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

"Too loud" is subjective weather you talking about subs or exhaust. When I was young and dumb I had 2 Cerwin Vega 12s in a huge ported box. By any normal standards it was loud as ****. What was I thinking back then lol.

Personally I would rather have 1 quality sub, than 2 ok subs.

Go to your local Best Buy or whatever and test a few out. Maybe they will match online prices.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastos View Post
If they're in a normal sized box. No they will not fit.

I tried my damnedest to get a pair of 13 1/2's in mine. From the back. And by laying the back seat down.

Mount them under or in the back seats.
And blast dubstep when you have girls back there. :nogrinner
You sir, are a funny one

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
"Too loud" is subjective weather you talking about subs or exhaust. When I was young and dumb I had 2 Cerwin Vega 12s in a huge ported box. By any normal standards it was loud as ****. What was I thinking back then lol.

Personally I would rather have 1 quality sub, than 2 ok subs.

Go to your local Best Buy or whatever and test a few out. Maybe they will match online prices.
By too loud, I mean I want to be able to hear the rest of the music, too. Not just the bass.
But i do want it loud enough to shut up my friend and his 04 Sentra with the single Rockford Fosgate sub in the back.

The Best Buy idea, i think I'll follow. Theres one about 35-40 minutes from here. It is always good to try before you buy.

If they have nothing i like, i will get this pair of 10's i suppose.
Almost the same as the 12's, and i know i can get a box that will fit.
Kicker 07CVR102-2-Pack (2subs_07cvr102) Pair of 10" CompVR CVR102

Thanks for all the help guys

MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

The acoustics of the showroom will be much different than your car. Ported or bandpass are much more dependent on the room acoustics than sealed. If your electronics store has small demo rooms the size if a typical bathroom, it will be much closer to what you can expect in your car vs a large open demo room.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member

I've never actually been in that Best Buy..
No idea what they have. I'll check around though. Thanks again

Apprentice

2 12's? why? those kicker subs will hit wayyy too hard if you dont want loud. and being rated at 800rms per sub your going to need a hefty alternator. the amp required to run those subs are gunna blow that alrternator and battery within a couple months. and the amp you are going to need is going to cost a lot more than the subs themselves. you will also need some hefty gauge wiring, preferably 4 gauge and thats expensive too. i ran 2 10 inch alpine r's with a kicker amp and went though 2 alternators and 2 batteries while running a 15 farad cap. it was only pushing 650 rms to each sub. the amount of energy those subs will suck is going to make your subwoofers cut out because the alternator wont keep up. i hope you know what you are doing and not just deciding to show your friend up.

2000 v6 mustang RED: Totaled

2002 Mustang GT Convertible SILVER:
MGW short throw shifter, 4.10 gears, Bama Performance tuner, Airaid CAI, Bassani off-raod x-pipe, Borla Stinger Catback, Athracite FR500's (275 front, 315 rear), Bilstein shocks/struts, H&R lowering springs, Maximum Motorsport cc plates, Mach 1 chin spoiler, shorty antenna,
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjGamer1 View Post
2 12's? why? those kicker subs will hit wayyy too hard if you dont want loud. and being rated at 800rms per sub your going to need a hefty alternator. the amp required to run those subs are gunna blow that alrternator and battery within a couple months. and the amp you are going to need is going to cost a lot more than the subs themselves. you will also need some hefty gauge wiring, preferably 4 gauge and thats expensive too. i ran 2 10 inch alpine r's with a kicker amp and went though 2 alternators and 2 batteries while running a 15 farad cap. it was only pushing 650 rms to each sub. the amount of energy those subs will suck is going to make your subwoofers cut out because the alternator wont keep up. i hope you know what you are doing and not just deciding to show your friend up.
Was this setup in a 94+ Mustang or another vehicle? The Mustang alternators doubled in output starting in 94.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in