Subwoofer replacement for 2005 V6 Shaker 500 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Subwoofer replacement for 2005 V6 Shaker 500

My mom has a 2005 V6 Convertible with a Shaker 500 system in it, we have had nothing but problems coming from the door speakers, I have looked and looked and have not found any answers online. The 2 subs in the doors and the oval speakers have had nothing but problems from just stop working to them tearing and causing that flapping noise when a speaker blows. We think they keep going out because they are the crappy OEM ones and the replacement we have gotten were also OEM speakers, and the fact that it is a convertible and driven alot might cause vibration on the speaker besides the magnet moving it. So I want to know, what is the best speaker (that is not too expensive) to replace the 8" subs and the oval speakers above them?

I am also going to be replacing her stereo unit at the same time, I plan on leaving the stock amps, is there any stereo units that would work best with the stock amp/speaker configuration?

Just having trouble figuring out what speakers are shallow enough to fit in the door, and what oval speakers would go good with them. I also am just optomestic about the stock amps working well with a new stereo unit. I want to spend under ~$400 for the 2 subs, 2 oval speakers (or maybe 2 more to replace the rear ones while I am at it) and the stereo deck.

1989 Black/Red Mustang LX Hatchback *SOLD*
-Swapped 4 banger for a 5.0 V8 -5-speed from a 92' -5.0 Rear end from a 92' -Euro Clear headlights -Louvered taillights from a 92' -16" GT 5 spoke wheels from a 92' -Pioneer stereo deck
1994 Black/Black Mustang GT *Current Project*
-Rebuilt motor -Alpine stereo deck -12" Pioneer Sub -Two-toned interior (reflective silver/black) -SR Performance Air filter-FlowMaster Exhaust -MSD distributor and rotor -MSD coil pack -Ford Racing spark plug wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Hi,
I had the same exact idea and interest as you do right now 1 year ago. I have all the info you need. And lucky for you i save all notes and pics from my projects.
What you want to do will cost you about $200, and is well worth it. You can do the install yourself.
The best 8" replacement subs for the Shaker 500 subs would be the Shelby subs. There compatible in size/ohms and sound incredible. You can use the same OEM shaker 500 amp with the Shelby subs (and the 2 sound awesome together!). There $139.99 right here.. 05-09 Shelby/Kicker 8 Woofer Kit for Shaker 500/1000, Pair 05-09 Shelby/Kicker 8 Woofer Kit for Shaker 500/1000, Pair [KA-8-WOOFER] - $139.99 : Shelby Performance Parts Discounted by Champion Mustang, Shelby Parts, Shelby GT500 Parts, Shelby Super Sn

Then for the 6x8 door speakers, the best compatible ones are the Kicker KS680 6x8 speakers, and i did the homework there, SonicElectronic is the lowest price for them at $86.96 found here KS680 | Sonic Electronix Search

The wiring adaptor to make life easier (get it!) is the Metra speaker harness 72-5600 for $12.99 found here Metra 72-5600 (met-725600) Speaker Adapter for Select Ford

And if you really want to add some nice clean base, i found a custom 12" subwoofer made for the Conv 05 Mustangs. It fits right in the trunk back corner and takes up no trunk room. But gives you a 12" in that trunk. And you can still fit stuff in the trunk, a must have item as i see it! Ill supply all the info on that if your interested, like where to buy, wire colors for the rear speakers to tap into for the sub..etc.

Ill add some pictures in the next reply, i need to make them smaller to attach to a reply. But i have pics of the speakers and finished product installed.

MAC Stainless axle backs & Prochamber
JLT CAI w/ SCT tuner
CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, TruFiber GTS4 Hood
Aeroform Sport Bar (in red to match the interior)
Eibach Pro Springs, 20" Shelby CS69 wheels
SoS Triple pillar gauge pod w/ Aeroforce Interceptor gauges
GT-CS Side scoops
FRPP 4.10 Gears/ FRPP Hot Rod cam
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Here some pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelby_sub_installed.jpg
Views:	9387
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	171050   Click image for larger version

Name:	ks680_b.jpg
Views:	2834
Size:	620.1 KB
ID:	171058   Click image for larger version

Name:	ks680_tabs_removed.jpg
Views:	1661
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	171066   Click image for larger version

Name:	MTX box installed (200x150).jpg
Views:	809
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	171074  

JLT CAI w/ SCT tuner
GT-CS Side scoops

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Oh wow! Thanks for all of that info! I will probably get those speakers and subs, but I don't really need a 12" in there. My mom doesn't like TOO much base. Did you keep your OEM stereo unit in the dash? The only reason I am looking to get her a new one is because she doesn't have an aux input to plug her iPhone or iPod into, and she said if she is going to get a new unit to put in her dash she would want one that has a USB port so she can charge he phone while playing music.

I was looking at some in the $100 range, but again price is flexible and I want one that will work well with the amps in the car, not sure is the stock amps only work with some stereos.

-Swapped 4 banger for a 5.0 V8 -5-speed from a 92' -5.0 Rear end from a 92' -Euro Clear headlights -Louvered taillights from a 92' -16" GT 5 spoke wheels from a 92' -Pioneer stereo deck
-Rebuilt motor -Alpine stereo deck -12" Pioneer Sub -Two-toned interior (reflective silver/black) -SR Performance Air filter-FlowMaster Exhaust -MSD distributor and rotor -MSD coil pack -Ford Racing spark plug wires
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

I did keep the OEM shaker 500 for about the first 4 months. then i upgraded to a nice deck with 7" screen/GPS/DVD. But i have to say, the sound was better with the stock deck. I mean pretty noticibly better. So i started thinking that the OEM amp was designed to work with the OEM radio or something. For a new radio, research Crutchfields website. They will show you a few that fit perfect in the 05'. I went with the Jensen 9424. It fits very nice in there and looks good. I also installed the optional rear camera, and ordered another camera for the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jensen Deck (244x325).jpg
Views:	2184
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	171146  

JLT CAI w/ SCT tuner
GT-CS Side scoops
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAT26 View Post
Here some pics..
Where'd you get that trunk sub/box? I'm running with the stock 1000 subs right now that sound alright, but they could be better.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Would something like this be good for what I need?

Not sure if it will be friendly with the stock amps.

Pioneer 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple iPodReady InDash CD Deck FH-X700BT - Best Buy

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDStang View Post
Where'd you get that trunk sub/box? I'm running with the stock 1000 subs right now that sound alright, but they could be better.
Hey sorry for the late reply.

Its made by MTX. Its called the MTX Thunderform found here Thunderform Series FMUST05 | Ford - Mustang 2005-2012 | MTX Audio

I recommend going with the unloaded version meaning with no subwoofer, just the enclosure. The MTX subs arent that good, you can put a much better 12" sub in there like a Kicker CVR or Alpine Type R.

JLT CAI w/ SCT tuner
GT-CS Side scoops
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Its made by MTX. Its called the MTX Thunderform found here Thunderform Series FMUST05 | Ford - Mustang 2005-2012 | MTX Audio

I recommend going with the unloaded version meaning with no subwoofer, just the enclosure. The MTX subs arent that good, you can put a much better 12" sub in there like a Kicker CVR or Alpine Type R.
i agree with the mtx setup it fits and looks great. i went with the loaded one and it failed rite after the 1 year manu warranty ended. I ended up putting a jl audio 12 in the box an put a jl amp on the back of the seat in the trunk and im so happy with it. 2005 V6 Pictures - 2005 V6 Photos - Mustang Picture Gallery - AllFordMustangs.com

2005 v6-14.8 1/4
Performance Mods~Mac Dual Exhaust with shorty ceramic headers, K&N typhoon CAI, SCT3 with 93 Brenspeed tune, BBK 70mm TB, Screamin Demon coil, JBA wires, Drilled and Slotted Rotors. J&M rear lower control arms
Visual Mods~ 17" boss rims on nittos 255/45's, clear front turn signals, chrome upper billet grille, window louvers, shaker500 w/ jlaudio 12" sub an amp in the trunk for some thump. kenwood excelon kdc-x396 deck
PONY Member

Quote:

Damn...$300 for just the enclosure. Think I'll stick with what I have for now. I put the kicker subs in the front doors and replaced the stock door and rear panels with the ks680s. Even with the stock receiver they sound pretty good.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page