Advice help needed on 2012 GT base model - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Advice help needed on 2012 GT base model

Ok so i've found plenty of write ups on how to's and removal procedures. But unfortunately I have no idea on what type of speakers or sub to get. I already have a sub I bought from a friend because he had no use for it and 2400w sounded like a good deal for under a hundred dollars.

Amp- is a rockford fosgate 801s

Need ideas for 4 speakers to replace stocks since i think i blew one already lol. I'm thinking Infinity

And for a sub i'm thinking a single 12" something like an l7.

I want to keep the stock Head Unit.

what all would i need as far as a kit/wire for amp, and would i need to replace wire harness out for the stock wiring harness. Actually if ya'll wouldn't mind can someone give me all the accessories needed to make this work?

thank you and I hope to learn a lot.

I'm not afraid of doing the install myself actually i'm definitely going to do it myself I rather tear my new car apart myself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Beezer! Yuo'll need "Turbowire" Harness Adapter # 72-5600, I did my rears
with 6x8 Kenwood 3-way 689's.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you, but that just makes it easier to plug and play correct? I am wondering if I have to redo the entire radio harness\speaker wires for a better quality sound or If just re using the harness on the car will still sound good?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013
PONY Member

To get better sound quality you will need to replace the headunit or DSP your system. I DSP'ed my system and it sounds fantastic. I'm also an audiophile.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

What is dsp?:?:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I just googled what dsp is. Im a newb at audio but I do enjoy making my ears bleed. Ive always wanted to set up my own system. What dsp would you suggest? 4 6x8 tweeters amd im thinking a 10 l7 in the back dont want overkill from a 12... or do I?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013
PONY Member

I personally have the JBL MS-8. It's simple to use and made a night and day difference. I'm not a fan of my ears bleeding but DSP'ing is a must if you want the best sound coming from your stock headunit.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer1519 View Post
I just googled what dsp is. Im a newb at audio but I do enjoy making my ears bleed. Ive always wanted to set up my own system. What dsp would you suggest? 4 6x8 tweeters amd im thinking a 10 l7 in the back dont want overkill from a 12... or do I?
I have JL speakers in my door. I still need to change out my rear deck. The size of the sub will matter on how much you want. I have one 10 and a sub knob so I can mix in how much I want.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013
PONY Member

Also I have the JL tr-570-cxi

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
JL's are really fine speakers, where did you find them, if you don't mind
my asking.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
JL's are really fine speakers, where did you find them, if you don't mind
my asking.
The ones I have are relatively cheap for the quality. I put them in my ford fusion before I had my mustang. I got them from a local car audio shop, but you can most likely pick them up on amazon or eBay.

Apprentice

Focals sound really nice, did my front and rears and love the sound

2013 GT, AT, JBA ceramic LT with catted H pipe, resonator delete, GT500 axlebacks. Steeda CAI, Brenspeed tuned, AMR chrome wheels, Cooper
RS3-S tires, Focal door and rear coaxial speakers, Shelby-Kicker door subs

2013 V6 performace pkg, airaid CAI,BBK throttle body, Bama tuned, MTX thunderform, Pioneer Coaxials, alpine KTP-445U amp
The love of my sons life
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok so ive been learning some stuff on the interwebz and I feel im a bit over my head for wiring all this together. So I have a 4 channel amp with the 801s and im not trying to spend more money than necessary especially since this is a learning curve for me.

That being said what im getting from sites is I should power my 4 speakers just with a 4channel amp. like I said before I don't want to buy more than needed and want to make do with what I have. So ive been reading about wiring in series or parallel to only use 2 of the 4 channels in the amp. Leaving the last two to be bridged and run my sub.

So am I on the right track with each channel @4ohms running 200w if I split two of the channels @4ohms my watts per channel should drop to 100w per speaker? And if I do two 4 ohm speakers parallel I drop to 2 ohms to that channel and @ 400w @2ohms I drop to 200w per speaker? If so I can run a decent sub all day @ 2ohms bridged off the last two channels and power infinitys all the way around off the other two channels?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Way too late to try to learn I got 4 channels but its only 2 channels... how embarrassing im just going to keep reading about wiring parallel amd see if this amp will suit my needs or if ill need more channels

Thank you all for the help so far I think im trying to run before I can crawl hahaha
PONY Member

You can't do that because tech you have 4 inputs and will need 4 outputs from your 4 channel amp. You have from left front right back left back right. If you combine them then you will have like front right on both sides and craziness. If your only going to amp your front two then you can run parallel, in series, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page