Sub Install & Other Questions... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Sub Install & Other Questions...

Ok. I've been searching for over an hour on here and can't seem to find anything. Here's my question:

#1 Is it possible/what do you have to do in order to install a sub into our factory head units? Do we have to splice any wires? Is there a harness you can get that replaces the factory one? I don't mind replacing entire parts, I just don't want to splice/solder wires on a car that isn't even 6 months old yet. HAHA!

#2 What do you guys think of the Infinity Basslink? Any recommendations for other setups? I don't want the system to be too heavy or take up too much room. I don't want super bass, just some depth and maybe a little bump.

#3 Door speakers. I don't really mind mine but I'm looking into these (Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A6874R A-Series 6"x8" 3-Way 350 Watts: Car Electronics) with the Metra 72-5600 connectors. Got the idea from a fellow member in a previous post. The price is right. Any thoughts on these?

Bottom line: I want a little more thump, depth and clear sound. I don't want to rattle the car to pieces, I just want to enjoy the music. I don't want to make any serious permanent modifications like drilling holes or destroying the factory wiring. Oh and more importantly, I don't want to break the bank either

May the force be with you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013
PONY Member

Someone asked this exact question about the Infinity Basslink right....here:

Infinity Baselink all in one Sub and Amp...Worth it? - MustangForums.com

As for splicing, etc. I just went the route of splicing into the rear speaker wire to get signal. Door speakers are pretty easy to do. And those Pioneers should be good. Know that the connectors might be reverse polarity from the Ford factory speakers. Only really matters if you keep the stock rear speakers.

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Grim! Seems like the Basslink is hit or miss, (no pun intended).

Are you talking about splicing the rear speakers for the Sub's signal? I don't know why I didn't think that was possible...

So if I do that then all I would have to do is run the power wire from the battery to the trunk right?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnast52 View Post
Are you talking about splicing the rear speakers for the Sub's signal? I don't know why I didn't think that was possible...

So if I do that then all I would have to do is run the power wire from the battery to the trunk right?
Yes - that's exactly what I did with my Bazooka BTA10250. I ended up just unplugging the rear speakers altogether. It allows me to balance the bass signal by using the front/rear fade.

Not the most obvious way of going about it, but it didn't require me to take apart the stereo and head unit. Just make sure you run your power through one of the accessory fuses so that your sub doesn't end up draining your battery by staying on.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013
PONY Member

I'm sure these links will also come in handy for you. You may already know about these, but I figure I might as well compile them here in case someone finds this thread via the search function:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...cs-inside.html

How to disassemble your car for a stereo install (detailed with lots of pics!) - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim2013 View Post
Yes - that's exactly what I did with my Bazooka BTA10250. I ended up just unplugging the rear speakers altogether. It allows me to balance the bass signal by using the front/rear fade.

Not the most obvious way of going about it, but it didn't require me to take apart the stereo and head unit. Just make sure you run your power through one of the accessory fuses so that your sub doesn't end up draining your battery by staying on.
Nice! Thanks for the info.

How's the Bazooka working for you? My dad has one in his miata and likes it. But that car is about 1/2 the size of ours...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013
PONY Member

I love my Bazooka. I will say that it took a few tries for Crutchfield to send me one that wasn't broken before installation, but now that I have one that isn't shattered on the inside, it's amazing. It creates the lowest tones really nicely, and is plenty powerful for everything I listen to from rock, electronic, hip hop, and anything else you can think of.

It does take up some space in the trunk, but because it's so easy to remove, I don't even consider it a nuisance or loss of use of my trunk. I've taken it out and put it back in probably 10 times now, and it's really simple and fast.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Awesome! I'm looking forward to this. I was originally thinking of having someone install it for me just because I thought it was going to be a huge hassle, but now I see otherwise.

Thanks again Grim!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013
Apprentice

i have the basslink II installed, i've had 0 issues with it. I chose to for its compact size and moderate power output. as for splicing into the factory wiring harness, i taped off the 8" door subs which to me worked really well. i already installed a alpine amp and infinity speakers all around and those too work excellent with the factory nav.
ford did a really good job make sure owners can I.D. the speaker wiring, its the only set of wires in the truck that are twisted together.

2012 mustang kona 3.7, manual, Performance Pack, MCA,procharger 8lb pulley, detchwreks injectors, MRT Axle-back exhaust, blowfish bracket, steeda sport springs, koni str-t, bmr phb, mgw shifter infinity speakers, bass-link ii, alpine amp
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Funny story about the basslink... My dad was at the junkyard a couple of days ago getting parts for his 3000 GT VR-4 and inside of another 3000, There was a newish looking basslink 2.

He got it for $10-20!!! He wont budge on it though
Apprentice

I was thinking about installing amps and subs too, i have 2 alpine 10s and an alpine amp. Im just kind of worried about if i ever have a issue with my head unit or something that theyd say its because i spliced wires....

2013 V6, Candy Red, Auto, Base
FRPP Sport Axle Back, FRPP X-Pipe MMD side Louvers, Roush CAI, Brembo Brakes, H&R SS springs 1.7/2.1" - SOLD

2015 GT black premium
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013 Thread Starter
Banned

Exactly why I don't want to mess with a factory harness! From what Grim said in the post above, You can just get the signal from the rear speakers. If this is true then when I replace them I will just hook it up from there. Then all I would need to run through the car is a power wire from the battery to the amp in the trunk.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
I was thinking about installing amps and subs too, i have 2 alpine 10s and an alpine amp. Im just kind of worried about if i ever have a issue with my head unit or something that theyd say its because i spliced wires....
you dont splice at the head unit. the wiring harness travels along the passenger side of the car to the trunk. from there you can make the tap, assuming this is a shaker system. much easier and less wiring to run.

2012 mustang kona 3.7, manual, Performance Pack, MCA,procharger 8lb pulley, detchwreks injectors, MRT Axle-back exhaust, blowfish bracket, steeda sport springs, koni str-t, bmr phb, mgw shifter infinity speakers, bass-link ii, alpine amp
GT Member

I replaced the front doors "mid-range and tweeter" with the Pioneer TS-D6802 R coaxial speakers. I bought new speaker mounts from Tousley FORD (From the 2010 Mustang). I used the Metra wiring adapters. What a huge difference in the "quality" of the sound The clarity of the sound is just fantastic! I talked to a fellow in a car stereo shop about the 8" woofers. He told be they were actually very good speakers and "better replacements" would be expensive and hard to distinguish in terms of the sound. I am really a happy camper with the new setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPK1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	180633   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPK2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	180641  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Rookie

Speakers, amps, and subs can definitely make your cabin louder, but, their is a lot of ambient noise that gets into our cars from that plastic door coverings you can see in Radioguy's photos. I was on a stretch of hwy and pulled out my RTA (sound monitoring equipment) and recorded the db's just driving down the road. First pic.

I installed Dynamat on both doors and the difference is amazing! Much less ambient noise. I will post a new RTA soon. Blocking the white noise coming in from the doors will make your interior music less muddied.

Also, Dynamat will increase the depth of any speaker system you put in the car. Allowing for a warmer tone quality because the attachment point (your car door) isn't just a metal plate.

Amazon has the door kit for around $50 which is about half of retail. Kind of a PAI install but you will be happy with it when you are done.

Originally I was going to go with a 5 channel amp. So far, I changed all speakers to the Infinity Reference speakers and am getting more punch than I originally thought because of the Dynamat on the doors. I will probably still want more down the road but am quite impressed with the Dynamat and 4 speaker set up.

Just my .02

2013 Black GT
JLT Cold Air ~ Bama Tune ~ SR Lowering Springs (1.4" Drop)
MMD Classic Quarter Panel Louvers ~ MMD Side Scoops
Kid seat in the back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page